Type of radiator!
06-14-2009, 02:52 AM
Type of radiator!
I`ve heard that a radiator from a Toyota Hilux fits the AE86. Is that true? Looking for a replacement, but dont want too go and buy a new one.

Needs to be a little bit bigger. Give a little more cooling Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
06-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Type of radiator!
i put rad form Fourth generation / T160 (1985-1989) Celica...

its longer then Corolla's... and have electric fan attached to it...

only problem is the down hose, couse it way on tho the other side...
just find some flexible 1m hose and that will fit...

and u just need to make bottom holders for it... its easyer the it looks Big Grin

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Type of radiator!] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Type of radiator!] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Type of radiator!]
06-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Type of radiator!
Yes I'm having the same problem. I was trying to get the electric fan conversion done and bought a rad but the mounts and the hosing posed a bigger problem than you might think. If you have time do the mounts and hosing then do go ahead. get a rad with 2 fans and remove the mechanical fan out of that engine Smile

Give that baby a bit more breathing space and hopefully and specially in my country more fan means better cooling for the Air Conditioning Thumbs up!

For more info check this thread out:

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/is-the-el...highlight=

Cheated on my いたずらな女の子 and now I can't get enough of her..
06-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Type of radiator!
Just wonder what the deal is with everyone trying to jam various radiators into the AE86, and then having issues with fitment, pipe work etc?

Just get the stock rad dual cored, most rad shops will be able to do this for you, your cooling effeciency will go up significantly, it will fit like standard and you wont have to mess with pipe work.

My rad is dual cored and even after 25 laps going 10/10th's my temp never budged. Saying that even with the stock rad my other mate never had any issues with temp despite also doing 20+ laps.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Type of radiator!]

http://www.eight-six.co.uk - read the blog!

UK AE86 Forum - http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?m...ghtsixcouk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Type of radiator!
Thanks for the info.
So a duel core is just the same size. But only a bit thicker?
06-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Type of radiator!
I have a twin core out of a Camry VZV21 Camry (V6) in mine. Unless you looked real hard, you wouldn't know it wasn't factory. Bottom hose still fits though the top one would be a bit to stretched though the location is very close.

It is a little wider and you have to add the bottom mounts, however you can leave the stock ones in position in case you need them in future.

By the way eight-six, not all of us live in chilly England! Wave
06-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Type of radiator!
There is some detail in my very old build thread.......

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/parrots-s...highlight=
06-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Type of radiator!
I guess eight-six has point in saying that but its really hard to find a rad that will fit my 86 that easy.

But Parrot do you think doing duel core will help us guy in warmer (much much much warmer) climates??

And did you do a electrical fan conversion? in my other thread there seems to be a talk of 8whp increase in the removal of the mechanical fan..

Cheated on my いたずらな女の子 and now I can't get enough of her..
06-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Type of radiator!
Yes I think it will help increase the relative margin of safety. A well maintained single core should cope adequately assuming the rest of your cooling system is up to scratch, but if you are going to stress the system with racing, humidity (?) and so on, a twin core gives you added cooling potential.

The Camry Rad comes with two thermo fans standard, though I only use 1.
06-15-2009, 01:52 AM
Type of radiator!
i got myself a brand new nissens for cca 100 eur i think - ae86 spec.. might wanna check that out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Radiator & grill support panel (Levin) FanIsHere 5 1,508 11-14-2022 10:07 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Alu thick core radiator fitment Gtsi-R 5 2,098 01-26-2022 01:28 PM
Last Post: Gtsi-R
  AE86 F20C swap - Radiator issue mad.matt 3 5,421 02-07-2018 05:14 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Radiator oem or upgrade on racecar? Jimmi The Kid 5 5,195 06-23-2017 05:21 PM
Last Post: pack
  cool lower radiator hose thanos 4 4,889 11-29-2016 01:06 PM