Tutorial : Megasquirting an European (MAP) AE86 (4age)
02-07-2009, 08:15 AM
OKay. I also have a MS1 v3.57. I have MAP and MAF igniters. Can someone pls post a base tuning map here? Please Please Please!

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1987 MA70 (60-1,.70A/R; AEM EMS)
1994 Honda Accord EX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I have two MAP ignitors. Neither are as described above. They both have 5 wires coming out of the metal housing. From left to right, wires at "top" of ignitor:

black - coil negative (-)
yellow -
Brown - Coil positive (+), also goes to 4 pin connector
white - goes to 4 pin connector, then to dizzy
pink - goes to 4 pin connector, then to dizzy

My MAF ignitor wires are exactly the opposite of what is described above. Maybe I have it upside down.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
there are loads of ignitors .....
If you understand the concept of what I have done to put it to work and you figure out the pinout of your ignitors you should be able to put it to work.

"Resuming, the distributor 4 tooth VR signal sends a wave into the MAF igniter, this wave is then converted in to a square wave (digital) and delivered to the megasquirt. This gives megasquirt the RPM signal and engine position. The megasquirt then delivers the order to fire to the MAP igniter witch fires the coil. "

You should even be able to put it to work just with the MAF ignitor. But from my experience they tend to burn once in a while if they are doing spark too. While the MAP ones are much more reliable.

I can send you a map but my map is for ITB's, as such is heavily dependent on the throttle position. Since they are fiscally adjustable the odds of both our TPS being within the same range are really low.

check the last link on my first post , there is a STD map for the STD intake manifold using Manifold air pressure instead of TPS for the maps

Smile
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I'll happily take a map for the ITB's. Is also kinda funny because I was gonna ask for that map next. I have a set of blacktop ITB's in the basement I'm gonna use as soon as I can afford the 20V-16V adapter plate and vacuum log.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX
02-08-2009, 12:59 PM
ok , make sure you adjust the TPS bins in both maps accordingly to your TPS range or the car will not work properly.
and make sure you adjust the fuel requirement for your injector flow.
From what I can remember the following map was using 310cc high impedance injectors (NA supra injectors)

this is just an old map and it's not very tuned since I then swapped for staged injection

http://gonae86.no.sapo.pt/hybrid_alhpa_N_HR_code.zip

please do not just load this map and go ....
02-08-2009, 03:06 PM
No, I wasn't planning on it. Just wanted a little something to get it started. From what I understand, the 4AG is not picky when it comes to base tuning maps, and I'll be using a UEGO anyway. Thanks.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX
03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi guyz!

After practicing a whole week with MegaSquirt, I think I'm really close to the solution Smile

I made a big error, but today we found out what the problem was. On a changed board for VAST ignition must use a jumper to link XG1 - XG2 on the board. Without that jumper the board can't work.

Now I have all the signals that I need to be able to start the engine.

I hope I can write my "succes story" too, soon Wave

Many thanks for Gon and Apardal online help Thumbs up!
Respect! Respect! Respect!

http://ae86.blog.hu - closed

2006 Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2 D4-D
1992 JDM Nissan Silvia PS13 RB26DETT powered
03-20-2009, 11:37 PM
AE86_Z Wrote:Hi guyz!

After practicing a whole week with MegaSquirt, I think I'm really close to the solution Smile

I made a big error, but today we found out what the problem was. On a changed board for VAST ignition must use a jumper to link XG1 - XG2 on the board. Without that jumper the board can't work.

Now I have all the signals that I need to be able to start the engine.

I hope I can write my "succes story" too, soon Wave

Many thanks for Gon and Apardal online help Thumbs up!
Respect! Respect! Respect!

Hey AE86_Z-

Do your ignitors match the ones in this post? If you write your own success story, please be sure to post the link as well. I can't say I am having as much success as the rest of the guys here. Sad

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX
03-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi!

One step forward again.

"- Solder a 1k resistor between the left (non band) end of D9 and the small hole above D9. [Resistor can be 1k to 10k - it is a pull-up to +5V on the output to ignition.]"

When I realized that my board can't manage the ignitors by the rpm signal, I decieded to check the mainboard again. I found a mistake again. So... for the ignition output you need to solder the resistor between the end of D9 and the small hole above D9. BUT! Not small hole above the D9 symbol, just the small hole above D9 sign. Finally my V2.2 PCB working, Engine has spark, RPM signal, engine position and injection.

I took a photo of the final config of my board. (attached)

Injection: If you have the EURO MAP version 4A-GE. You must link #20 to 33 and #10 to 32. If you have an AFM/MAF version, you need to link #10
34 and 35 ; #20 32 and 33 pins. There are some differences on the the wiring.

Ignitors: Some european countries, (like Hungary) we have a Pink - White - Brown - Yellow - Black, 5 wires MAP igniter. This is completely do the same job as gons. So don't worry about it.

Resuming, my ecu get the RPM from the MAF igniter - ECU send the IGT signal to MAP ignitor - ignitor make the spark - injections working too, but the engine hasn't started yet. Sad I need to recharge the battery, make new ground wires (because of noise).

will_drift_4_food Wrote:Hey AE86_Z-

Do your ignitors match the ones in this post? If you write your own success story, please be sure to post the link as well. I can't say I am having as much success as the rest of the guys here. Sad

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

http://ae86.blog.hu - closed

2006 Toyota Corolla Verso 2.2 D4-D
1992 JDM Nissan Silvia PS13 RB26DETT powered
03-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Awesome info. Thumbs up! Keep it coming. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with it. Maybe it's because my "swap-in-a-box" was made up of parts from different areas of the world. Who knew there were so many variations? I think I read somewhere that even the dealerships are sometimes uncertain which equipment came on which chassis. I think doing two projects at once is also confusing me. Banging head I'll check my ignitors again tomorrow.

Jason Clark
JC
Atlanta, GA

1984 AE86 SR5 Coupe
1994 Honda Accord EX

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AFM to Map Conversion ps13michi 3 2,389 01-06-2022 10:34 AM
Last Post: ps13michi
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 9,638 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  European/UK vs Japanese Levin "Glass Grill" mad.matt 3 4,775 10-20-2017 02:47 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  extracted freedom ecu 16v ignition map ditn 7 8,100 08-22-2016 10:01 AM
Last Post: ditn
  smallport question AFM or MAP? fax0815 5 7,608 05-17-2014 05:07 AM
Last Post: jondee86