Trueno headlight help
04-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Trueno headlight help
Hi all.

Ive had this issue ever since i imports my Trueno. The headlights won't go up or down. the lights themselves work but the motors on switch don't seem to.

when you put a live and earth wire to each motor they both work and go up/down quite happily.

Ive also changed the headlight switch itself incase that was at fault but still hasn't helped.

altogether I've changed headlight switch, relay next to battery and the blue box that goes under dash.

anyone ever had this experience? or know where the earth is for the lights/motors? I'm not 100% sure if this is connected also but my dash lights do not work which made driving in the dark tricky. bulbs are all fine from what I've seen.

Any help, diagrams, suggestions welcome
Find all posts by this user
04-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Trueno headlight help
kazi!

Welcome to the trueno world.

First. You have two relays. A blue one under the steering column and black one just between the battery tray and the headlight.

Try to open the black relay and check for solders. Wink

Regards
04-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Trueno headlight help
(04-18-2017 05:17 PM)pack Wrote:  kazi!

Welcome to the trueno world.

First. You have two relays. A blue one under the steering column and black one just between the battery tray and the headlight.

Try to open the black relay and check for solders. Wink

Regards

Hi.

I have check and replaced these both. Both relays click as they should when getting power. I'm now thinking it's earth issue as the lights juder slightly every now and then.
04-19-2017, 01:04 AM
Trueno headlight help
Hmmmm you can force grounds on both relays.

You still using the retractor relay control? The one that closes the headlights on turning the car off?

I don't have that one, didn't used on my Trueno conversion.

Maybe that is the one that is messed...
04-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Trueno headlight help
(04-19-2017 01:04 AM)pack Wrote:  Hmmmm you can force grounds on both relays.

You still using the retractor relay control? The one that closes the headlights on turning the car off?

I don't have that one, didn't used on my Trueno conversion.

Maybe that is the one that is messed...

What one is that again? Yes still use them all. Haven't taken anything away
04-19-2017, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2017 12:01 PM by banpei.)
Trueno headlight help
Page 30 of the USDM manual shows you the wiring diagram for the headlights:
http://files.aeu86.org/manuals/ewd-ae86-...parrot.pdf
The wiring diagram should be similar to the Trueno one.
I think Pack is referring to the light retainer relay that switches the retractors as well.

On page 34 you can find the illumination diagram used. You already swapped the headlight switch, so that rules out the rheostat being broken. The only relays between the illumination and the switch are the headlight retainer relay and the taillight relay. If your taillights are functioning fine, I would say both relays are fine.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Trueno headlight help]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Trueno headlight help
Thanks for the reply. The tail lights are working as per normal. I'll have a look at the diagram and see. Can't se if being overly different to JDM. Thanks.
04-19-2017, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2017 01:39 PM by pack.)
Trueno headlight help
What i can tell you is that you can connect the blue relay and the retractor control relay (the one near the battery) externaly.

Then tou can check if your new circuit is working.

Wink

If you need help, i can fetch you a circuit diagram (made mine based on the OEM circuit in the manual so i have some experience there)

Regards
04-19-2017, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2017 01:51 PM by kazi.)
Trueno headlight help
(04-19-2017 01:39 PM)pack Wrote:  What i can tell you is that you can connect the blue relay and the retractor control relay (the one near the battery) externaly.

Wink

If you need help, i can fetch you a circuit diagram (made mine based on the OEM circuit in the manual so i have some experience there)

Regards

Yeh if you can send that across in case that will be good and I'll try making something up to see if it's still working.

Also I'm not sure if I'm Missing anything in my driver side fuse box that might effect the lights and dash lights. I have 2 empty spaces that are circled

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Trueno headlight help]
04-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Trueno headlight help
(04-19-2017 01:39 PM)pack Wrote:  What i can tell you is that you can connect the blue relay and the retractor control relay (the one near the battery) externaly.

Wink

Regards

Yeh if you can send that across in case that will be good and I'll try making something up to see if it's still working.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 Headlight + wiper wiring (levin) bozu 11 14,066 09-19-2017 02:06 PM
Last Post: banpei
  JDM trueno not starting. need help! kazi 8 7,658 03-12-2017 05:05 PM
Last Post: kazi
  TRUENO - LHD headlight solutions pack 11 12,278 09-21-2016 10:29 AM
Last Post: pack
  Peculiar headlight issue - main beam Jezza_hr 3 5,262 10-04-2015 09:25 PM
Last Post: Jezza_hr
  LHD W.G (West Germany) wires from dimmer & dash switch to headlight relays? Rascal21 11 13,284 07-07-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: Ivan141