Toyota... No Holdon... uhm maybe Toyota....
04-12-2009, 11:11 AM
vr is the same car...just facelifted basically

Brake with the left hand, steer with the right foot...
Find all posts by this user
04-13-2009, 12:02 AM
mc68 Wrote:vr is the same car...just facelifted basically
Well they say the commy vr had some safety enhancements (driver airbag and such) and a few things done to the engine to make it slightly better, but yeah basically the same car facelifted.

How many of those changes made it into the Lexcen CSi I have no idea. I sure do not see an airbag Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
04-13-2009, 10:38 PM
So basically it is a rebadged Opel Omega/Vauxhall Carlton into a Holden Commodore which is also rebadged as a Toyota Lexcen CSi.

Now if only Toyota would have been sane enough to rebadge the rebadged Lotus Carlton it would have been a very interesting car. Big Grin Big Grin

BTW: you promised us some pics! Big Grin

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Toyota... No Holdon... uhm ...Toyota....]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Banpei, you are wrong on the first bit. This part I have to hand to Holden. Opel makes cars targeted at the European market which is very different to the Australian one. They cut costs by using as much of the Opel design and research as they can, but they are not afraid to seriously alter the end product.

The base model commy got a 3.8liter V6. The top model was full options, leather and a V8. To make this happen the chassis was extensively altered. I drove an Omega Station couple of years back and it was huge. It now seems small and underpowered comparing it to the commy Smile

I have to say that even today, this is an eye opener. When you walk around Holland and you see Opels I have to say they have come along way after they fell of their pedestal and started creating really booring basic family cars. I like the newer models they have.
But then you come over here, and you see what seems to be the same car with a Holden badge, but then you come closer and you suddenly see the fenders are wider, the front looks more aggressive, and it has atleast a V6 or V8 emblem on the side. I'm not even sure if all they share with their European brothers is the basic body shape.

I still think of Opel as a booring brand, but looking at the cars Holden produce to their own design (whether based on Opel/Vauxhaul models or not), damn they are yummy!

Damn, forgot about the photos thoughSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad