Timing belt replacement
10-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Timing belt replacement
Great write up! Now go and make a nice technical section on the front page. Transfer the write-up to a more friendly HTML format and post it up.
Things like these tend to get lost on forums.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
10-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Timing belt replacement
NoHachi,

Banpei is already busy with making that possible. To keep the writeup findable we made it a sticky for now but in the end, having it on the front page is much nicer indeed.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Timing belt replacement
Ok done,

it's now also on the front page:

http://www.aeu86.org/content/view/17/48/

I need to clean it up a little but I'll do that laterSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Timing belt replacement
I though I had seen it all as far as the crank pulley bolt is concerned, but the yellow coupe we serviced yesterday managed to amaze me.
Robokill tried his handbrake, 1st gear and wrench on the cam pulley method but it didnt work at all. The timing belt just skipped some teeth on the pulley. We tried using bigger levers (breakerbars) but to no avail.
Next I figured we might try using an airhammer (is it called that in english??). That did the trick for my currect engine, but alas..no such luck this time. I guess the mechanics at toyota have a bit more heavy duty equipment.
Since nothing seemed to do the trick I suggested trying the starter trick.
We installed a wrench and breaker bar, disconnected the igniter and gave it a few blips. No way that that was going to work. The starter just stopped turning since the resistance of the bolt was to big.

Our final rescue came n the form of a HUGE vice grip (dunno if thats the correct name, but you can see what I mean in the pictures..)
We put the grips on the second power steering and other accesories part of the crank pulley, since any damage there wouldnt matter that much. Then using a wrench and breakerbar we finally managed to get that stupid bolt out.

It's a miracle that people get those bolts on there so tight.
Here's the pics...first one are the tools that did it, next the ones that failed..the last one is just a random picture I took of the car.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Timing belt replacement
Holy crapSmile

Reminds me of a story Michiel told him getting the bolt off the pulley for a PRV engine. They eventually got it off with a BIG ASS truck air wrenchSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sub panel and rotary-button replacement for Levin -> Trueno conversion gh0st 9 4,146 11-05-2021 08:17 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,727 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Rear Seat Belt Question sleepercivic 5 8,978 06-29-2017 09:30 PM
Last Post: banpei
  4agze timing leon205gti 11 12,335 04-07-2017 03:10 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 3,956 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy