Timing belt replacement
10-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Timing belt replacement
Hey Guys,

Okay today I made a start at removing my timing belt, my first ever timing belt replacement is on its waySmile. Disconnected battery, removed all the air intake stuff (my cone filter and tubing) for easy access, removed the cooling fan etc, anything that was in the way..

Interestingly enough when I tried to move my altenator to releave tention from the v-belt but I couldn't move it. The belt came off when removing the fan anyways so I'll have to meet that challenge when putting the new belt on (ran out of WD40, need to get a new can, will prolly do the jobSmile)

Removed all the timing belt covers except for the lower one, I ran into two problems here.
First off all, I cant get the lower right bolt to come off to remove the lower timing belt cover.
Second, I couldn't get the pulley off... Before I damage something that I shouldn't, should I get the pulley off in the first place? Or when I am able to remove the lower timing belt cover can I then remove the timing belt over the pulley? (What I tried btw was put the car in gear, put the handbrake on, and then tried to loosen the nut on the pulley)

But there is further mischief here. I put the car in neutral to get the camshafts to line up. I'm not sure if the pictures will tell the story right but anyways, the left camshaft indent is at the top but the right camshaft indent is slightly to the left. The timing is set to 10 degrees, I'm assuming hte right camshaft will be to the top if I rotate the pully to 0 degrees.
Is this right? Or did someone incorrectly place everything?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Timing belt replacement
I don't know about the timings, have a look at repair manual...

According to repair manual the lower timing belt cover goes down after you take the pulley off. I haven't done it yet, but I think you have to block the pulley in some way and then turn the nut.
You can have a look at my post at club4ag forum (technical section, search by my username, there are only 4-5 posts)...

Andrej
10-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Timing belt replacement
Well, here is a little description. Hope it helps:
http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=81773

Andrej
10-03-2004, 08:01 PM
Timing belt replacement
You have to remove the crankshat pulley before you remove the lower cover. The crankshaft pulley might be hell to come off so you might need a special puller which has two bolts that screw into the pully. :o
I had real problems to remove my pulley when I changed the belt on my car a while back. Angry
Also the camshaft alignment marks ligne up with the two dots that are on the cover that sits behind the camshaft cover. You can see them right above the two circles you did in your picture.
Let me know how you get on! Smile Smile
10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Timing belt replacement
Remember I told you to check that the indentation in your camshaft is visible through the oil filler opening? Align the pulley to 0 degrees and everything should be lining up to the correct marks, which are indeed lokated on the backing plate of the camgears. So remember those 3 thing to look at: indentation in camshaft, crank pulley and camgears.

Are you having trouble removing the crank pulley itself or just the bolt holding it on? If it's the bolt that's troubling you find a wrench with a long "arm" and put it on the bolt with the arm facing the correct direction, so that it is stopped by the ground..then blip the starter and it should come off. If that doesnt do the trick airtools always do.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Timing belt replacement
Thanks guys,

I'll have a look at all that during the week when I have time to continue

Dont have airtools hereSadSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Timing belt replacement
No Problem Is Here Caus the Solution Is There,

Comming to the manuals its says you need a

Toyota Pulley Puller to get the damn thing of now here comes the problem i walked on to is that we don't have it so we createt one our selves which works perfectly and you block being on 10 degrees i don't know about that mine is on 0 you should check if it is working correctly now caus then just let it be :-)

As we will see eachother this week i can show you the problem :-)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Timing belt replacement
Ehm...that isnt exactly the solution to everything my dear robokill :wink:
A lot of the time you can pull the pulley off by hand, it's the pulley bolt that poses the biggest problem to many. Although that pulley removal tool you made is a good thing to have when it is indeed stuck.

@Mux: A bit of important additional advice, if and when you have the crank pulley removed take a good look at the slot that fits around the woodruff key (the rectangular piece of metal that sits on the crank shaft).
If you can take the pulley off with your hand it is usually an indication that the slot is worn out (it should be straight, mine tapered to the outside on my current block). If it is worn out you should get a new pulley and woodruff key.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Timing belt replacement
Ivan, when I have the pully off I'll take some pictures,I first need to get the nut loosened anywaysSmile Hope I have some time tonight..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Timing belt replacement
Remember the starter trick... figure out which way to put your wrench on, use a GOOD socket (you dont want to ruin the bolt) and make sure it is lodged against the floor so you dont get any nasty accidents. Sometimes the bolt can be removed regularly with the car in gear and on handbrake, but when all else fails...

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sub panel and rotary-button replacement for Levin -> Trueno conversion gh0st 9 4,280 11-05-2021 08:17 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,918 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Rear Seat Belt Question sleepercivic 5 9,084 06-29-2017 09:30 PM
Last Post: banpei
  4agze timing leon205gti 11 12,466 04-07-2017 03:10 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 4,017 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy