Time for a good service
01-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Time for a good service
Ivan141 Wrote:I put in old coolant because I didnt have any more new coolant.
I have flushed the engine about 5 times this summer, driving around with tap water for 10 mins after every flush, it was still not very clean.
You have to understand that the engine I had put in the car last spring had been standing still for over 1,5 years.
The rusty coolant that came out last week has been in the engine for about 4 months. I didnt want to dilute the new coolant too much since it
was meant to be used without adding water. A 5 liter container of the coolant sold at the Shell station costs 17 euro's..ridiculously expensive if you ask me. I need to flush the whole thing again anyway, but I'll do so with cheaper coolant.

About the oil filters, I have also returned one to the dealer before because it didnt state it was for 4age's, but have used them without problems. I believe the original filters for the 4age where longer that the current ones (which are meant for the 4afe & most engines of that generation).

Try reverse flushing the system with a hose gun until all the rust is out and the flushed water runs clear, then refill with your choice of coolant.

I think you're right about the filters - almost all more modern Toyota filters will spin on to any modern Toyota block, but more filter media is always better. I have no doubt you can use the 4AFE filters without problems, but if it says "NOT SUITABLE FOR 4AGE" then that's enough for me.

They're too darn expensive anyway... my dealer wants over £7 + VAT!
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Time for a good service
over here they cost like 7 euro's///which is way less. BTW, the filters over here dont explicitly state not for 4age..they just dont list the 4age.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Time for a good service
My engine got sick of the old coolant and desided to do a proper flush while I was driving on the freeway. My temps suddenly shot up skyhigh and I noticed there was no hot air from the heater anymore...So I stopped it at the first opportunity, which it would have done anyway since it was stuttering already.
I noticed the entire radiator was empty while I was looking at my steaming engine..
I couldnt figure out what the problem had been, but I took a second look while waiting for good old robokill to help me out with some coolant.
The thermo switch in the ae92 thermostat housing had come loose apparantly, I lost it somewhere along the way, turning my 4age into an air-cooled engine.

Scary stuff....I'm lucky I had the original ae86 parts and gasket on board, switched them back and filled up, and she purred like a kitten again..

LOVE THE 4AGE...it's almost idiot proof...

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Time for a good service
---cut---
Happy end Thumbs up!

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ClutchMaxPRO Clutches - Good or Bad? RolanTHUNDER 0 729 12-01-2022 09:55 AM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  D2 Coilovers any good? heshan 18 24,177 04-04-2017 02:40 AM
Last Post: hachirokkos
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 3,956 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Good pics of rear decals for GT-Apex Sprinter Trueno needed Lauren 20 28,352 10-16-2014 06:53 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Is this oil pump any good? megabob 3 4,739 02-08-2014 12:46 AM
Last Post: megabob