Ticking valves
03-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Ticking valves
Hi,
Its been a while since I visited the forum. We moved to a different house so have been very busy with that. Cool Enough new posts to read though Cool
Last December I put the car on a rolling road to have the ecu callibrated.

After that everything went fine. But after driving around for lets say 100 kilometers I heard a strange ticking coming from the engine. I think its the valves that have to be adjusted ? When the car runs idle everything sounds okay but under load I can clearly hear it ticking.
Because of the heavy load put on the engine on the rolling road something has to be adjusted Undecided

cheers
Jos

http://www.heerlijklimburg.nl
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Ticking valves
I have an even stranger problem. My valves are ticking only when keeping the speed. Under acceleration and while idling, nothing is to be heard from the engine..

I think it's just the shim replacement for both of us.
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Ticking valves
shim adjustment is pretty easy. but you gotte have a micro meter and alot of diffrent plates!

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Ticking valves
Only under load I wouldn't say it is a valve lash problem but a knocking/pinging due to an extremely advanced ignition timing.

Or worse, connecting rod noise due to ruined bearings.

Check ignition timing first... valve lash later and the last remove the oil pan and check crankshaft journals...

Best regards
04-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Ticking valves
thank you for your advise. I wil check timing problem first and after that the valve lash. lets hope one of those things will cure the ticking Dumb question
the valve lash will be checked by a toyota mechanic who works on cars in his free-time as I do not have the knowledge and plates. it will be a nice learning opportunity though :wink:
lets hope its just the valve lash for us snejk Cool
cheers
Jos

04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Ticking valves
Another possibility is that you have piston-slap.. but have that mechanic look at it...it's hard to diagnose noises over the internet :wink:

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Ticking valves
jos 4 age Wrote:thank you for your advise. I wil check timing problem first and after that the valve lash. lets hope one of those things will cure the ticking Dumb question
the valve lash will be checked by a toyota mechanic who works on cars in his free-time as I do not have the knowledge and plates. it will be a nice learning opportunity though :wink:
lets hope its just the valve lash for us snejk Cool
cheers
Jos

apardal Wrote:and the last remove the oil pan and check crankshaft journals...

Apardal had it.. Just came from the mechanic, he needs to remove the oil pan and check the crankshaft, that's where my ticking sound comes from. A bit lower oil pressure was the second sign.

I bought the car like this and the ticking did not get any worse. The engine has only 150k km on it and the compression is great. It doesn't burn almost any oil. But a quick valve test tonight showed them to be in order, so the mechanic estimates around 100€ for the repair.
04-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Ticking valves
100€ for the repair is only if the crankshaft is in condition. If the bearings gone bad a long time ago, it is possible that they have done damage to the crankshaft journals. You will want to see carefully if that crank is ok. If it is, just swap the bearings. They're cheap from Toyota...

You'll need the bearings and the oil strainer flange gasket! And lots of gasket silicone!

Best regards
06-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Ticking valves
sorry for the very late reply Undecided . the ticking is gone now.
we checked / adjusted the valve lash first but the "ticking" was still there.
After a lot of searching - listening I found out that my outlet manifold had some very small leaks were it is welded to the flange which is mounted to the engine. got that welded and the thicking stopped.
cheers
Jos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  16V Valves.... oldeskewltoy 15 16,875 10-04-2022 01:20 PM
Last Post: corolla4agze
  Valves identification FanIsHere 1 2,373 10-29-2020 06:18 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  20v BT valves choice izanagi 9 5,381 05-22-2019 08:47 AM
Last Post: izanagi