The A6 Celica/Carina topic
12-16-2014, 01:29 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm really sorry for not reading through all the 72 pages of this topic and therefore probably asking things that were already answered before, please bear with me if possible Smile
So, I have a TA60 that I just started converting to an AA63 (kind of). I'm on an OK budget, not really high, so here is the route I'm going to follow:
Obviusly the 2T-B will go, and the 4A-GE will find its new home in the engine bay Smile. I'm going to change the bell housing on my T50 so it will fit the 4A-GE, also there will be some custom modification done so the different size of the input bearing doesn't cause any problems (the old one which will be used is 62 mm while the 4A bell housing is made for 68 mm). The rest of the car I'll try to keep untouched, except for the following:
-Hachi LSD will be installed (it should be compatible)
-Supra tank will be installed (to have the AC pump needed for the 4A-GE)
-Supra/Celica 2.0 cooling radiator (with 2 electric fans)

I know that means I'm going to use a 20 spline gearbox instead of the stronger 22 spline one, but I'm pretty sure that won't cause any problems.

Now my questions are the following:
-I won't have independent rear suspension, does that mean that I can use the disc breaks from the Hachi to convert my old rear drums to discs? My country's regulations are quite strict about this (to keep it short: to allow the 4A-GE inside car I need to have disc brakes on the rear too)
-Do you know anything about the sub-frame/engine cradle (I'm not sure what it is called, I hope it is understandable what I mean Smile)? I read the following on a French forum (sorry for the quality, it is Google translated Smile):
"I made the measurements between the cradle of TA60 and that of the AA63, there are 3 cm diff and not 4.5 as I put on the position and angle of the cradle are not the same (ta 60 and AA63)"
I also asked one of my friends to translate it, she came up with something like "the angle of the cradle is not the same, but that doesn't really matter at all" however she couldn't make anything out of the 3 or 4,5 cm thing Smile.

I wonder if you guys can clarify what this means, or tell me your own experiences if by any chance you have any.

- One last thing is the dashboard/cluster: is there any Celica cluster that has the oil pressure on it, and has the tachometer's red-zone at 8000 (7500 orange, and then red) and has only km/h on it, not mph?
As far as I can see the only cluster that satisfies these requirements the one found in the Japanese version of the car (maybe UK too), but it has the tachometer and the speedo switched (actually the whole cluster is mirrored, which for some reason bothers me):
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - The A6 Celica/Carina topic]

Thank you so much, and sorry for the long post.
Domi
Find all posts by this user
12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
If it turns out that the engine cross member is different to what you need, then finding one from a 3AU powered car will likely be a better fit.

So that's a 3AU powered Carina, Celica, or Corona (AT140 or whatever)

I've got a dash cluster from an AA63 Celica here if you really get stuck. Although shipping etc might be a killer from New Zealand.

The Celica/Carina T series rear end is wider than an AE86 one, and the disc rear end axles have bigger wheel bearings pressed on which makes everything different.

So I dont think you'll be able to swap AE86 stuff straight over to your diff housing for a few reasons.

But if you can get some AE86 calipers and brackets then it wouldnt be too hard to make some brackets.
12-16-2014, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2014 10:17 PM by domi007.)
(12-16-2014 08:06 PM)roman Wrote:  If it turns out that the engine cross member is different to what you need, then finding one from a 3AU powered car will likely be a better fit.

So that's a 3AU powered Carina, Celica, or Corona (AT140 or whatever)

I've got a dash cluster from an AA63 Celica here if you really get stuck. Although shipping etc might be a killer from New Zealand.

The Celica/Carina T series rear end is wider than an AE86 one, and the disc rear end axles have bigger wheel bearings pressed on which makes everything different.

So I dont think you'll be able to swap AE86 stuff straight over to your diff housing for a few reasons.

But if you can get some AE86 calipers and brackets then it wouldnt be too hard to make some brackets.

Thanks for your answer and for your offer, I'll think about it, I might just keep the original cluster and see how it goes (it will be funny to see it rev all the way almost Smile).
Getting stuff from a 3AU car seems impossible here (in Hungary), we rarely have anything here (some parts of Supras, some Celicas, a few Hachis and pretty much that's it), but I'll try on eBay. I'm still not sure however if it is necessary "will likely be a better fit" doesn't seem to mean "you have to get it" Smile Am I seeing something wrong here?

Regarding to the brakes: I have just found this post, and was wondering if it is helpful at all:
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthr...post255337

I try to understand what he means, but I just can't decide if he has actually swapped the whole rear axle or if only the brakes could be fitted 'plug-n-play' onto the RA60 (which has the same live axle as the TA60).

I'll keep on searching and hopefully find something about this, do you guys know anything about this?

EDIT:
I just found this, it should be a guide to do exactly what I'm planning on doing, anyone can confirm I'm looking at the right stuff (yes, that was also the slogan of the Celica Smile):
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/engine-...studs.html

EDIT2 (sorry for that Smile):
This tutorial is even easier, and according to the pictures he is working on a Celica with SRA, so exactly my configuration :O
http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.p...ic=18968.0
12-17-2014, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 09:57 PM by banpei.)
Üdvözöljük Domi! Wave
Are you by any chance in contact with Arpad Boda?

(12-16-2014 09:30 PM)domi007 Wrote:  Thanks for your answer and for your offer, I'll think about it, I might just keep the original cluster and see how it goes (it will be funny to see it rev all the way almost Smile).
If you are in need of a Celica AA63 cluster, I have one for spare:
But keep in mind that the Celica cluster has a different size. You can clearly see the difference between the two: the Celica AA63 cluster is more square while the Carina AA63 cluster is more rectangular.
If you have a whole Celica dash it could fit though.
BTW: the EU Celica AA63 cluster does not have an oil pressure meter.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2014, 12:55 AM
(12-17-2014 09:56 PM)banpei Wrote:  Üdvözöljük Domi! Wave
Are you by any chance in contact with Arpad Boda?

(12-16-2014 09:30 PM)domi007 Wrote:  Thanks for your answer and for your offer, I'll think about it, I might just keep the original cluster and see how it goes (it will be funny to see it rev all the way almost Smile).
If you are in need of a Celica AA63 cluster, I have one for spare:
But keep in mind that the Celica cluster has a different size. You can clearly see the difference between the two: the Celica AA63 cluster is more square while the Carina AA63 cluster is more rectangular.
If you have a whole Celica dash it could fit though.
BTW: the EU Celica AA63 cluster does not have an oil pressure meter.

Hi there Smile

No, I don't know Árpád (yet Tongue). I will think about this whole dash issue (I have a Celica btw, so the Celica AA63 cluster would be a perfect fit I guess Smile), I'm pretty sure I won't use stock Toyota oil pressure meters anyways because I heard they are unreliable (they show wrong values). Maybe an aftermarket oilpressure meter could be somehow fitted behind the dash so it moves the original needle of the instrument so I only need to change for example the charge sign to an oil pressure sign or something Smile. It is just a fresh idea that came to my mind right now Smile.

But what is really important right now is the conversion to discs on the rear. I would really appreciate if you, experienced and knowledgable people can shed some light on the links I posted (validate them so to say) Smile.
Thanks a lot for all your support!
12-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Ah, I kind of assumed you had a Carina... Wink
Yes then the cluster would fit nicely as it should have had the same shape throughout production.

01-21-2016, 12:27 AM
This thing is cool. Refurb running gear and drive it like it is.

http://www.86ers.org/post/137674620788/s...t-at-ukiya

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

ハチロク

01-23-2016, 09:43 PM
Haha! Would be an awesome drift missile. Wink

01-26-2016, 02:40 PM
I just made an interesting discovery: I was looking at the AA63 Celica's dash on ToyoDiy to see if there is an "empty fuel tank lamp" (found on the Supra - it lights up when you reach a low level of fuel in the tank), but couldn't really make heads and tails of it:
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_1984_TO..._8301.html
This is the EU, left hand drive version of the cluster, but it still lists the oil pressure gauge and there is even a drawing of an oil sign on the left of the cluster (I have my voltage meter there). Of course I also found no information whatsoever on the low fuel indicator, so I guess I just need to check this on my own cluster Smile.
02-22-2016, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 10:48 PM by Rotten.)
Nice to see this thread alive and still kickin'! Not much has happened here since i been dailyin my carina for the most time. Big changes coming conserning the bodywork when summer hits here and i really need to get my J160 gearbox that came from lexus installed soon. More gears yay! Tongue

Heres a pic for you from the last summer after i got an older bumper from EE80 corolla installed. Fits so much more nicely than the EE90 bumper i had Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another rusty old carina. roman 8 15,286 08-20-2007 12:56 PM
Last Post: roman
  Amazing -musseum ready- Celica nmwisima 26 24,649 03-13-2006 12:42 AM
Last Post: The Doctor
  ST185 celica evo 500 SekiguchiUeno 2 4,718 02-25-2006 08:53 AM
Last Post: banpei
  Check out that old CELICA!!! nmwisima 12 13,310 07-10-2005 10:09 AM
Last Post: banpei