TUV RHD AE86 Germany (help please)
06-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Hey everyones,

I am trying to import a RHD ae86 levin to my new home in Munich (I am a Kiwi). The Ae86 I am in negotiations of buying is a very clean rust free Levin notch which is currently in the UK. It is pretty basic with TRD Blue shock absorbers, toda exhaust manifold, new webber carbs, and period correct 14x7.6 longchamps, bride brix reclining seat, momo wheels and full new undercoating etc. Since my German is not the best I was hoping that someone on here could help me understand the process I would need for certification of the modification for TUV. From what I have read I need LHD Ae86 headlights and to get modifications signed off by TUV workshop?

Any help with info on this process or people to talk to in the Munich/Baveria region would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Johann
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2019, 01:36 AM
Hi Johann,

Kia Ora, kiwi here as well, based up near Köln.

Can't really help too much (my car was 'imported' from the Netherlands), except to say that up here (NRW) it's only TüV Rheinland who are allowed to do the '21' test to get your can registered in Germany. They are quite strict (at least around my area), If you don't have an ABE or Gutachen they won't let it through, they are also extremly vague when it comes to estimating how much it will cost to get something approved. In the end i tracked down some original springs, just so I could get on the road.

I believe the Dekra and a few other companies are allowed to do the test in other parts of Germany, so hopefully you can find someone from one of them, who can give you some advice in english.
06-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Welcome and great to see you made it to the forums! Wave
I think this thread can help you a bit in what you may expect to get it approved:
http://www.aeu86.org/forum/Thread-Duty-Free-Trueno
From what I understood Hama86 is in an area (NRW? I believe he's from near Koln) where it's very difficult to get the car pass without bringing it back to bone stock.

Just a stupid question that I didn't ask in the email before: isn't there a way to keep the car registered in the UK? It would save you from a lot of hassle. Big Grin

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - TUV RHD AE86 Germany (help please)]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2019, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2019 08:03 PM by d3nso.)
Well even if he registred the car in the uk as soon as he drives the car on german roads our TÜV standarts apply to it aswell. So if he gets into a vehicle check its over Sad
Cars driven on german roads have to meet the appropriate roads standarts of germany regadless where they've been registred.

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
06-13-2019, 09:41 PM
I don't believe that is true. I guess this is coming from the UK worthersee convoy that got into trouble last month, but unless you're taking the mick, there's no way foreign cars have to meet German standards.
My car would be quite illegal in Germany, but passes Dutch Apk checks with flying colours, if I'd get stopped in Germany whilest doing nothing wrong, there would be a no way I can get in trouble.

Of course, when living in a foreign country you can't drive a car on different plates for a longer period of time before it draws attention.

My advice would be to forget about getting the car legal and buy something already in German plates. German tuv is the hardest test to pass in the EU I think. Would save a lot of money, effort and time.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
06-13-2019, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2019 10:25 PM by d3nso.)
Quote:Zwar darf ein Fahrzeug, das in der Europäischen Union oder einem anderen Land des europäischen Wirtschaftsraumes zugelassen ist, nach § 20 Abs. 1 FZV, bis zu einem Jahr am inländischen Verkehr teilnehmen, ohne den inländischen Vorschriften über das Zulassungsverfahren und den Beschaffenheits- und Ausrüstungsvorschriften der Straßenverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung (StVZO) entsprechen zu müssen. Gleichzeitig müssen sich jedoch alle im Inland verkehrenden Fahrzeuge in einem verkehrssicheren Zustand befinden. Daher kann ein Verstoß gegen § 23 Straßenverkehrs-Ordnung (StVO)aufgrund erheblich beeinträchtigter Verkehrssicherheit nach Auffassung des Gerichts auch dann vorliegen, wenn ein Verstoß gegen Vorschriften der Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung nicht gegeben ist.

So you could drive with uk reg an insurance for one year but after that the car has to comply the stvo. But as stated if some cop don't like what you driving he could fine you or get the car seezed even if the car is "safe" to drive.

My advice also would be to get a car which already complys german laws. This will safe you alot of hassle and money. If it where so easy to get these uk cars registred here any hachi fan would have serval of them including me Tongue

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
06-14-2019, 08:50 AM
Quote:Of course, when living in a foreign country you can't drive a car on different plates for a longer period of time before it draws attention
I wish this were true, but my street has it's fair share of polish reg cars owned by people who have lived and worked here for over 5 years.
Fair play to them, I would do this to in their place since it's probably a lot cheaper but you do have to make the trip home for your MOT every year.
Driving foreign reg cars without a special exemption is only illegal in the Netherlands for it's own citizens, they dont do a damn thing about EU reg cars
being driven by non-natives.
For that matter I dont think a GB reg is a great plan in the long run what with brexit and all.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-14-2019, 10:09 PM
(06-14-2019 08:50 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Driving foreign reg cars without a special exemption is only illegal in the Netherlands for it's own citizens, they dont do a damn thing about EU reg cars being driven by non-natives.
Not entirely true: if you are a non-native, but register yourself to live in NL you also have to import your car. They give you a grace period of 6 months, but after that you really ought to have imported the car.

What most people do is bypass that law by registering their car in someone else's name (e.g. mother in law) and continue driving it. You can get a hefty fine for doing this, but in general not many will be checked...except for that really unlucky colleague of mine who got caught driving with a Romanian registered car. He's up for over 5000 euros in fines and currently fighting this in court.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - TUV RHD AE86 Germany (help please)]
06-14-2019, 10:13 PM
In Belgium they have the same rule. When I lived there for a year I didn't bother to register it. They never checked and didn't enforce the law. Bigger fish to fry I guess.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
07-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Since the car has already been modified with quite a bit of aftermarket parts, this is the person you have to get in contact with (his name is Chris):

http://www.rhd-speedmaster.com/

He does §21 TÜV`s on a regular base, it is pricey though.

If the car would be bone stock then any major TÜV main station would be able to do the §21 Vollabnahme, if it is a kind of "relaxed" station and not anal strict, then you`d "only" have to do the following things:

- You`d have to put german spec headlights in
- The rear taillights can stay, you just have to stick some little reflectors near them, you can buy them at any ATU, Car Parts or Baumarkt for 10 bucks or so
- Install a rear fog light, has to be on the left side (driver)
- Normally the TÜV wants a "Datenblatt" as well nowadays, but a copy of a german Fahrzeugbrief should work as well, i could help out with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TUV - Strut brace pack 3 4,704 09-08-2018 08:17 PM
Last Post: d3nso
  Carb question please help MIGGZFSU 3 4,161 03-29-2017 03:06 PM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  LHD VS RHD headlights (Levin) Lt86 2 4,045 02-28-2017 12:08 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Whining noise HELP PLEASE izanagi 10 10,801 03-26-2015 06:48 PM
Last Post: Komba
  LHD W.G (West Germany) wires from dimmer & dash switch to headlight relays? Rascal21 11 13,275 07-07-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: Ivan141