working out compression ratios
07-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Hi all,

Im trying to work out what CR pistons to go for when I rebuild my 16v. I've read online (now i might have got this wrong) that you are suppose to measure the deck clearance when the piston is at TDC and are able to work out, or at least help work out what CR you are able to run.

My question is, how can you do this or how can you check what CR you can go with if the engine is stripped to a naked block? I know that cams (if above stock) have a part to play as well.

Basically looking on different ways that I can investigate have CR I could possibly use.

Hope this makes sense!
Find all posts by this user
07-14-2019, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2019 02:15 PM by totta Crolla.)
Apart from physically being able to achieve the actual ratio required, 4age's are not normally a problem, the limiting factor to compression ratio is generally the fuel octane and the ability of the ecu to control knock. Knock control is really just a failsafe and should only really be utilised when bad fuel is used.
As far as actually measuring, yes the piston should be installed in the block with the rings fitted and it should be connected to the crank.
Most piston manufacturers will tell you the specs. of the piston including any difference to the standard piston, raised piston crown cc etc.

An analogue brain in a digital World
07-16-2019, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 08:25 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
(07-13-2019 10:49 PM)kazi Wrote:  Hi all,

Im trying to work out what CR pistons to go for when I rebuild my 16v. I've read online (now i might have got this wrong) that you are suppose to measure the deck clearance when the piston is at TDC and are able to work out, or at least help work out what CR you are able to run.

My question is, how can you do this or how can you check what CR you can go with if the engine is stripped to a naked block? I know that cams (if above stock) have a part to play as well.

Basically looking on different ways that I can investigate have CR I could possibly use.

Hope this makes sense!

there are specifications listed "around". You do need to know your final deck height to properly calculate compression. I would strongly recommend using a compression calculator, this is the one I like to use - http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Specs you will need: bore, stroke, deck measurement, chamber measurement gasket thickness, AND bore, and piston dome volume.

It is common to need to machine the top of the block a small amount (minimum .003"/.075mm) to get a good seal for the head gasket. This is more frequently done when using a metal head gasket. This procedure changes the deck measurement.

While knowing the deck is important, what is more important is properly setting the squish gap (some refer to as quench gap). In a 4AGE a final squish gap of .032"/.8mm seems to work very well.

Squish gap is the distance the flat areas of the pistons are away from the flat areas on the head when the piston is at TDC.

How to "adjust" the squish/quench area - 1) different piston with the wrist pin height(aka pistons compression height) changed, 2) thicker/thinner head gaskets, 3) machine the deck. Often times you would use a combination of 2 of the 3, or in some cases all 3.

As to how much compression the engine can tolerate before detonation - a LOT has to do with the condition of the combustion chambers. Quality of fuel is also very important.

With a properly shaped chamber, I've run a stock cam on 10.8:1 utilizing 92 octane fuels (USA premium) with no detonation.

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake lights not working takumi_mt 2 147 03-07-2024 03:42 PM
Last Post: takumi_mt
  82mm Stock compression Pistons apardal 4 2,174 11-24-2021 04:26 PM
Last Post: apardal
  Dash lights not working. kazi 5 6,222 05-09-2017 12:31 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  What is cranking compression on 10-1 4AGE? oldeskewltoy 2 4,330 03-24-2015 10:18 AM
Last Post: ditn
  Headlights - only high beam working Jezza_hr 3 6,677 01-10-2015 11:59 AM
Last Post: jondee86