TRD shocks and springs
07-10-2010, 12:07 AM
TRD shocks and springs
they look prety much close to stock ratios, are they also shortened litltle bit?
I think you will like it with springs even on bad backroads.I like how they open more on shaft speeds above 75mm/s, the graph looks similar to to the one made by reinhard from the stock shocks.

Btw: what for springs you have?

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2010, 02:24 AM
TRD shocks and springs
Springs are Espelir 3.0/2.8 which are about 40 down from stock. Feel
not much different from stock, but need a nicer shock than the AGX.
The AGX are probably better suited to firmer springs. They work fine
when you are pushing them hard, but they feel over-damped for low
speed general round town driving.

Front Bilsteins are stock units shortened, and back stock units with an
internal spacer to limit the extension. I haven't ordered them, as the
cost is kind of over the top. For the time being I will persevere with the
AGX, and make a decision when I have my car full time on the road.

Cheers... jondee86
07-10-2010, 10:46 AM
TRD shocks and springs
I''ll try and run some tests on a simple car model I built jon. Problem is that I'm still missing some values/measurements, but we could make some assumptions and do some variable sweeps to find out in what ballpark the damping should be (computers aren't usefull for much more then that anyway).

If people want to help stuff along, I could use some help with some of the measurements I still need of the front suspension. Anything that helps locate the front roll center would be great. I'll post up a sheet of the missing values soon. As thanks I could run the numbers for the most popular AE86 setups.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-10-2010, 12:07 PM
TRD shocks and springs
Someone posted up an article with COG specs for various older toyota's (not the 86 though) in you ramblings thread... you should be able to get a ballpark estimation of rollcouple using that. (Rollcentre can be calculated from suspension geometry if I'm not mistaken).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-10-2010, 12:24 PM
TRD shocks and springs
Ivan141 Wrote:(Rollcentre can be calculated from suspension geometry if I'm not mistaken).

Jep, but need:
length of lower arm (have that one)

relative locations of:
inner LCA pickup point
strut balljoint
upper strut mount (camberplate).
combined strut angle
aka all the dimensions to fill in this drawing:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - TRD shocks and springs]

Guess I'll whip out the old iphone and tape measure to see what I can come up with. Problem is that its easy to do the measurements one one car and calculate the rollcentre, but its more difficult to do those measurements that allow rollcentre's to be calculated from rideheight and camber data for all 86's.

07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
TRD shocks and springs
I posted up a link in the other thread.
*A 1976 Corolla CoG height is 514mm and from the pics I have seen is same/similar platform to AE86.
*I have also calculated the front and rear roll centres as 89mm and 264mm respectively. I need to remeasure more accuracy but these should be ballpark correct.
Of course eveyones car is lowered by different amounts - mine was measured with Greddy Type-S springs/dampers/spindles at standard setting and 35mm front Roll Centre spacers.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - TRD shocks and springs]
07-11-2010, 07:03 PM
TRD shocks and springs
Thanks Ozone,
I knew the cg height test data from my miata days.
I think the best situation would be to have some raw measurements from a bare chassis (anyone have an empty shell handy?). That way we can account for ride height differences, differences in tire diameters en changes to camber. Also addition of roll centre adjusters of various sizes.

Hope someone has some time to measure this stuff..otherwise you'll just have to wait untill I find the time. Have to finish the new wire loom first though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HKS valve springs totta Crolla 3 1,578 05-25-2022 10:24 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  rear bilstein B6 shocks 2 types what to choose? Ryo 5 2,563 07-25-2021 04:41 AM
Last Post: Bean
  KONI Sports shocks for the AE86... jondee86 11 19,137 09-08-2017 03:38 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Springs from other vehicles?? FanIsHere 16 13,070 05-17-2016 09:12 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Question about KONI shocks for an AE92 Apsogos 1 3,813 09-13-2013 07:40 AM
Last Post: Apsogos