Sway Bar ??
05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Sway Bar ??
NoHachi Wrote:Wise advice common in car setup: Always make one change at a time!

First throw in the espelirs..You won't need the extra bars since that car will be on the bumpstops anyway and those have plenty of roll resistance.

It will give you the sporty feel and look you are looking for.

If you want to have something that drives better, just do the swaybars and leave the springs alone. Drive around on that and save up for a shortstroke setup to dump the car correctly.

So on a side note, will the Espeliers work on my setup? I have been running Tockio 5-way adjustables with the stock springs for years. I want a stiffer spring that lowers the car as much as they can without messing up anything else or need a short stroke setup. - The Espeilers say they are 30% stiffer and provide a 40mm drop. Will these work for my Tockios? Is 40mm too much of a drop?
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Sway Bar ??
With 40mm drop you reduce bump travel by 55%. To compensate you would need to increase springrate by 215%..not 30. Not going to work without the bumpstops adding the necessary 80% of springrate. Good news is that they have those 80%. bad news is that they ramp up to almost 500% which is a bit much.
You might get away with it if you add the thickest swaybars you can find and don't mind the added harshness from riding on the bumpstops. That depends on your local roads.
My advice: buy the swaybars first. You'll need them with the espelirs to collect enough springrate. Buy thick ones! See how you like the ride since they might be close to ideal with your shocks. Then add the espelirs later on and see what that brings you.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Sway Bar ??
NoHachi Wrote:With 40mm drop you reduce bump travel by 55%. To compensate you would need to increase springrate by 215%..not 30. Not going to work without the bumpstops adding the necessary 80% of springrate. Good news is that they have those 80%. bad news is that they ramp up to almost 500% which is a bit much.
You might get away with it if you add the thickest swaybars you can find and don't mind the added harshness from riding on the bumpstops. That depends on your local roads.
My advice: buy the swaybars first. You'll need them with the espelirs to collect enough springrate. Buy thick ones! See how you like the ride since they might be close to ideal with your shocks. Then add the espelirs later on and see what that brings you.

I would do swaybars, but like I said I have been running the Tokicos for years now with the stock springs and want to run them on 5 which is the stiffest setting. But the springs don't complement them.

So I would like to do springs first, then drive it, then look at sway bars.

What are some springs that I could just swap right on without issues? I assume no on the Espeliers, what about Tanabe GF210?

I basically just want stiffer springs I can swap right on to go with the Tokicos.
05-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Sway Bar ??
See if you can find a set of the Espelir GT springs... 4 kg/mm front and
3 point something in back. I have the Espelir ASD... 3 kg/mm front and
2.8 kg/mm back. Had to cut 40 mm above the perch and use short
strokes to get some bump travel though.

If you get lucky, there might still be a set of GT's sitting in a store Smile

Cheers... jondee86
05-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Sway Bar ??
jondee86 Wrote:See if you can find a set of the Espelir GT springs... 4 kg/mm front and
3 point something in back. I have the Espelir ASD... 3 kg/mm front and
2.8 kg/mm back. Had to cut 40 mm above the perch and use short
strokes to get some bump travel though.

If you get lucky, there might still be a set of GT's sitting in a store Smile

Cheers... jondee86

I am looking for some springs to just swap on and use with my Tokico 5-way shocks? It sounds like the Espelirs are too low. Sounds like Tanabe and Eibach are the main options. ??
05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Sway Bar ??
Maybe I am not understanding you correctly..
My interpretation of your problem is this: you have shocks that you run full stiff to get a sporty feeling car. That is far from ideal, so you wan't a bit more roll resistance from the car itself so you can back off the shocks a notch. That is exactly what the swaybars will give you. Swaybars are springs. They will complement your shocks since you need to dampen swaybars just like all other springs.

That said, the springs jondee mentioned seem like a reasonable gamble. They are in the margin of what you would need to lower 3-4cm's

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Sway Bar ??
NoHachi Wrote:Maybe I am not understanding you correctly..
My interpretation of your problem is this: you have shocks that you run full stiff to get a sporty feeling car. That is far from ideal, so you wan't a bit more roll resistance from the car itself so you can back off the shocks a notch. That is exactly what the swaybars will give you. Swaybars are springs. They will complement your shocks since you need to dampen swaybars just like all other springs.

That said, the springs jondee mentioned seem like a reasonable gamble. They are in the margin of what you would need to lower 3-4cm's

Thanks for your reply.

I have the Tokico 5-way Illuminas that I like to run on the stiffest setting - so the reason I want to get new springs, is because I have the stock springs and it feels like the shocks are working too much i.e the springs are too soft to take much load.

If you have really soft springs, and some stiff shocks, the shocks will be taking too much of the load won't they. And possible be worn out quicker??

The ride actually doesn't feel too bad, maybe a bit hash from the impact on the shocks, since the springs aren't taking much force.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bash bar for zenki trueno bumper gh0st 3 789 02-08-2023 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  What bar is it? FanIsHere 7 6,077 10-20-2018 12:14 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Front Anti Roll Bar for Beams Swap KD2229 5 5,705 09-20-2011 10:04 AM
Last Post: Aram
  OEM sway bar thickness ?? T_AE86 5 10,776 08-07-2011 04:05 PM
Last Post: Hachi
  Adjustable Panhard Rod Bar christsang7 7 10,009 07-12-2010 04:42 PM