Suspension of AE86 "86"
10-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
My first AE86 is the one i want to modify first.

The thing is i wantet to have

Yellow KONI adjustables

so i went to some shops and everywhere i got a price around 500 euro for 4 without springs.

When i got my second hachi i once more got a set of front struts and they looked difrent at least the spring was shorter.

Today i took him out and by surprise it is a koni adjustable :-)

so all i have to buy now is the rear which saves me alot
the problem is i want a good set of very hard springs but i do not want to lower the car more than 30mm

Anyone got a good sugestion also with stiffness i checkt and found a set of APEX does anyone have experience with this.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
10-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
Hola'

do i understand you right, you search for rear schocks and springs?
Perhaps here is something for you.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...RK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...RK:MESE:IT

take it sidewards
10-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
Those are way to expensive..You could easily buy a set of good springs new for less. Trouble is you want extreme spring rates..TRD race springs are probably the way to go, but be prepared to spend a lot on them. The other option is emailing the dutch merwede spring factory and have them wind custom springs for you, probably cheaper in the long run.
BTW, does anyone even know the spring rates for the Apex springs? I hate it when they only state the amount of lowering you get, which is one of the least important factors with springs when it concerns ride quality.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
You cant use trd springs with normal length shocks - they are way too short... Like 10 cm shorter than OEM :o

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Suspension of AE86 "86"]
10-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
I think of getting a set of yellow Koni for the rear also those cost 87 euro's a piece

Problem is the springs

i want

at least

5.5 kg rear

7kg front

And yes the apex don't set the spring rate on those things

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
10-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
I use the TRD 8kg front and 6kg rear. They are awesome together with my adjustable koni´s. But as Jan says....the springs are way to short for the shocks. I put on the RCA´s and they really did remove most of the slack, so i guess a set of RCA´s which are like 10mm thicker than mine would do the job, and the spring would fit tightly into the housing even with the weight off the wheels.
Be prepared for a VERY hard suspension with the TRD/Koni setup. I would definetly not recommend it for daily driving. Allthough I use it for that myself Smile
10-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
I know for sure that Autosportparts in Delft kan order custom springs to your specifications. This is also possible via Chiel Bos in the eastern part of Holland, though he is expensive. In the end he just orders the springs form the merwede factory and they make a custom run. You could try it directly from the factory.
Remember one thing: Big numbers do not equal Big performance. 8kg/mm is right at the edge of the koni's capability. When they start to age the damping will go down, leaving you with no adjustability to cure the now underdamped state of the car. That sucks, especially for drifting (highsiders/tankslappers R us..) and is just dangerous on the track.
Why do you want such high rates? Do you plan to put racing slicks on the car? If you stay on street tires then I would not go any higher then 7kg/mm for the front. That rate is still more suited towards semi-slicks..6kg/mm is a nice rate for performance street tires. That is still a higher rate than most aftermarket springs. You can calculate the ideal rear rate from the front rate. 3kgR 6kgR is the combo to have for track racing. It will understeer some, but also put down a LOT of power to the track. Rotating the car must be done with masstransfer during corner entry (essentially a drifting technique, only the car is setup so that it still grips like a nutter). For more low speed or tail-out stuff bring up the rear springrate.
Remember: oversteer comes not from springrates but from the front to rear ratio in springrates. the standard setup is front biased. Al the high springrates will do for you is reduce grip if you dont drive on slicks. I'd much rather do this through a set of crappy tires and/or high tire pressures.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
10-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
I wouldnt go with the TRD/Koni setup either! I tried it for a short period, but it didnt work that well Sad

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Suspension of AE86 "86"]
10-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
The TRD/Koni set up is no good as the TRD springs are to short for the Koni's and they will not be in theire optimum damping range!
I use TRD springs in the rear but also use short stroke shocks which can handle them!
Also, anything above 7or 8KG is to hard for the koni's. I run 8kg in the front and 5.5 kg is the rear (I don't use koni's Smile ). The ride is not to bad on the road but my dampers have 45 adjustment levels so I can set them a little softer for the road if I want to (Never done it and don't think I ever will Big Grin Big Grin as I don't use it as a daily driver!)
Short strokes are the way to go if you are running lowerd springs!
10-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Suspension of AE86 "86"
i have apex springs with Billstein sport shocks. and billstein Rally shocks in the rear... Perfect!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear suspension options 2018 Alex 9 9,425 01-24-2018 02:25 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  7" rims or 8" rims? Lauren 7 8,010 05-13-2012 06:04 PM
Last Post: Lauren
  why do you use "roll center ajuster"? leckter 15 16,939 02-07-2012 07:04 PM
Last Post: Bean
  AE86 suspension pack 5 5,253 01-13-2012 06:50 AM
Last Post: panda_tureno86
  Lets play "Guess that sound!" aka diff problems Apolan 6 6,597 08-28-2010 01:19 AM
Last Post: Apolan