Surreptitious.....
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Surreptitious.....
Further progress... I've had 5 "hot rod builder"/ restorer types out to look at the car. I've gotten quotes from $1000 to $5500 to cherry out Surreptitous.

The $5500 is out of the plan, too much detail for a DRIVER.... he wants to paint the headlamp buckets, and all the hardware. He wants to phosphate the underside and undercoat once dried.

He was a cool guy... but this is a DRIVER.... NOT a TRAILER QUEEN!

The guy down at $1000 missed waaay too much. Not mentioning anything about the rust, and just trying to sell me a flashy paint job....

I've had 2 quotes close to $2 grand. Each seems to have an idea what I'm after....

I have one more estimate to go.

The orignal dash and cluster will be replaced. My plans are to find and fit a blue AE86 dash into the AE71, then use an AE86 cluster.

Wiring, the 26 year old wiring will be history. Either a Painless wiring harness, or an EZ wiring harness will be installed, replacing ALL of the wiring except where sockets, or connectors are required, and then in those instances, they will be spliced and heat shrunk sealed.

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Surreptitious.....
Well.... to add a bit of olde school to this... I've bought some mirrors....

Yeah, I know many of you like the JDM look with the home market fender mounts... they just aren't me...

A nice set of bullett mirrors will be mounted on the doors....

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Surreptitious.....]

Dan -

02-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Surreptitious.....
I think these would suit the car as well! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Surreptitious.....
Newest news....... last year... when I began looking at parts to make this build I fell in love with a set of wheel on Yahoo Japan...

Super Star Racing's Air Stages.... which are extraordinarily RARE!!!

It was last October 2008, I bid them to 30000 yen(then about $290) and I stopped, they sold just over my last bid, for 30500 yen. The reason I stopped was the "fees" to get a set of wheels from Japan to the west coast of the USA usually run an additional $250-$300, and I wasn't prepared to spend more than $600-$700 for wheels.

Move ahead in time to late February 2009........

http://www.memoryfab.com/wheels/used/a20090106095616

Memory Fab is the company who outbid me....(those are the EXACT wheels I bid on!) They paid $300... and didn't even remove the P.O.S. tires that were on it when I bid....(same tire... look carefully) and now they want $1200 Huh Huh

I hope they find a buyer... that buyer will NOT be me... at least not unless they came down by 30%

Gee... where will my money be better spent... $1200 on wheels the same size as Supras... or a purposely designed header for my engine.......

Dan -

03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Surreptitious.....
Wow! Amazing what people can ask for such things! Huh
But I do think they only bought those rims for this purpose: get some really retro looking wheels and sell them off for a rediculous amount of money because they are "rare". Banging head

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Surreptitious.....
26+ year old wiring is NOT a good place to begin with.... too many areas for problems... if not now... sooner or later

SOOOOOOOOOOO........ New wiring!

The ONLY wiring to remain in Surreptitous will be the 18" of column wiring, and about 10" leading away from each rear lamp socket

I had a choice between EZ Wiring, and Painless Wiring... The EZ kit was MORE than 50% less! ($392 = Painless avail Autozone, or $182 including freight = EZ)

EZ it is.......

Dan -

03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Surreptitious.....
Well.... plans are coming together for the operational bits... and the body shop is lined up....

...now to think of the body's appearence.

I'm super pissed... I was the first to voice interest in a set of spoilers that appeared on C4AG

and again... I get beat on them :mad: :mad:

Many like the quad round lamp look.

Its ok...

...but I think edges are more aggressive.

There isn't a front spoiler yet...(last one I didn't get....) but you can see that the old school Hella projector fog lamps, along with the oil cooler placement begins to make the front end of this car somewhat different, and a bit more aggressive then the rest........................

More to come...

Dan -

03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Surreptitious.....
Another nice project here on aeu86, keep it coming. Smile
03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Surreptitious.....
Well, I got my bullet (or "Talbot" for you Euro crowd) and they were absolute junk! The main housing is pin fit on to the pedestal, this may allow vibration to loosen them more than they currently are... and then lose one! I WAS going to have a friend solder(for welding would be toooo hot) the pedestal, but I am beginning to get lucky...

I was searching the USA Craigslist for Hella...(see lights above...) and I bumped into these.....

REAL OLDE S'KOOL !!!!!

a pair of Hella 4004GT mirrors!!

Now to get that front end just right... There is a fellow located in the Phillipines, "TOYCOOLROLLA" - Rhett, who still makes the FOHA front spoiler.... I added the front end pic again to make it easier to visualize the two together.....

To gauge placement... the top of the openings(brake cooling scoops) sit level with the lower edge of the valance panel

definately more to come on this........

Dan -

03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Surreptitious.....
that foha looks so cool Thumbs up!

drift ae86:308bhp/435nmEDIT:384pk/498nm!!!!>now DEATH)))