Sum_Fing_Wong's Project Levin
04-13-2013, 04:56 PM
well Ivan141 i did think about that, but since my pockets were rust free i didn't see a reason to cut them off completely, also the rear bumper is partially mounted there and it adds some stability to the bumper skin as well. but the main reason is that i wanted to keep the car useful ... if i got rid if the rear pockets i'd have to find a new location for a jack and also thats where i usually keep spare fluids and some other misc stuff. the other reason is this area combined with the portion below the problematic rear lip, it actually provides some stiffness to that area. i noticed this when i had the car on the rotisserie thats why the chassis was placed on that wooden stand, because while on the rotisserie it was flexing quite a bit.

thanks Tig you noticed i appreciate your keen eye !
Find all posts by this user
04-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Lovin the fab work on this. Thumbs up!

Mine is the same, rear pockets are rust free but that underside lip is rusty.

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Sum_Fing_Wong's Project Levin]
04-17-2013, 02:59 AM
thanks zenki, are you going to try to save the rear lip ? i tired but with three layers of metal there i just figured it was easier to remove the whole lip.

anyways moving on, since getting my dimple dies i've been on a dimple die rampage. so decided that since the rear needed to to have some more integrity with the rest of the chassis, i added some more reinforcements.

the last photo shows some up rights, i added those to add some rigidity to where the filler was going to go because it's quite flimsy there and the cap for the filler requires some muscle to twist and open.

maybe someone can chime in on what i can do ... since ive placed the filler right smack in the middle and i removed the brace/support where the trunk latch usually is. What should i do inorder to latch my trunk lid ? i was toying with the idea of using pins but i don't want that area to leak, i also toyed with the idea of spring latches but since it's a coupe and i plan on replacing all the trim i don't think that idea will work either, it's much easier on a hatch ... sometimes i wish my car was a hatch.

oh and i have a frp trunk lid and i plan on using the oem coupe spoiler as well as the rear bezel .... so yeah it's a quite a brain teaser, i haven't been able to come up with a functional yet elegant solution to this problem as of yet. anyone with any ideas ?
04-17-2013, 07:04 AM
The 1st white Levin is a beauty even though you said there was some work to do on it.
05-07-2013, 05:39 AM
sorry for the delay been working on other projects and haven't had time to update the build thread, anyway Super Snake i realize that the corolla in first few pics looked to be in good shape and yes it most certainly was, but as we all know there is always hidden surprises, when it comes to older cars such as ours and as you dig the more issues you find.

i started mocking up the fuel cell it does look like it's sitting low, but it is higher then the lowest point. which is the rocker panel pinch weld, it was mocked up in this position so i could optimize the lowest c.g. i can get. after the initial mock up i started to build this ... see below

yup thats right a cage for the fuel cell can never be too safe

and some final touches, beveling of the corner.s

05-07-2013, 09:32 AM
That's an industrial weight solution right there..But then the weight distribution will probably benefit from it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Sum_fing_wong Wrote:thanks zenki, are you going to try to save the rear lip ? i tired but with three layers of metal there i just figured it was easier to remove the whole lip.

The rear lip gotta go. I saw a dude on ebay selling new ones. So it's easier to replace it then fix the old one.

That fuel cell sits about the same as an oem tank from what i can tell. That cage you build looks nice. :wink:

ハチロク

06-20-2014, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2014 10:24 PM by Sum_fing_wong.)
Small update, actually very small update. been busy with work and having to move garages, so car has been sitting for a little while now with not much more progress. although I have been accumulating parts !

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Sum_Fing_Wong's Project Levin] in the new garage.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Sum_Fing_Wong's Project Levin] new seats ! (teaser)

before I was forced to move garages I had started to port my head. anyone care to critique ? more pics to follow !

06-27-2014, 04:06 PM
about porting ask Oldskewtoy

Nice looking build, good welding btw

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-08-2015, 12:16 AM
a minor update, been busy with life bought a house so i'll never have to move my corolla again, since I decided to take on this project i've had to move the car 3 times two times where it was just a bare chassis what a PITA. Hopefully this is the last for a long while so I can now redirect my focus back on the corolla instead of worrying where to move next. Haven't really done much since moving, but got started installing the dash and trying to make everything clear the rollcage, my plan is to have most of the interior intact at least for now.
I will reupholster the dash in alcantara once everything has been fitted, re-fitted, test fitted etc etc! its not much, but I think most of us understand that its not the major assemblies that take the most time its always the small stuff that causes the most headaches and frustration. Hopefully I'll have more updates more often now that I am settled into the new home and with warmer temperatures around the corner ! cheers !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nzae86's AE86 Levin Tarmac rally car build Project 1 nzae86 30 53,310 04-30-2013 07:28 AM
Last Post: nzae86
  Ae86 Levin drift project. filip.alin 7 8,970 01-20-2013 03:05 PM
Last Post: filip.alin
  Vienna Levin Project MatthewG 79 78,979 12-23-2010 11:28 PM
Last Post: MatthewG
  My project from AE85 to AE86 Levin Russia Krasnoyarsk Val`deMaR 39 34,504 08-22-2009 05:53 PM
Last Post: Kid Karola
  Greek Project : Replace Front of Levin with US Trueno GTS alimonos 86 60,709 11-10-2005 10:25 AM
Last Post: alimonos