Strange ignition problem
04-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Strange ignition problem
Okay here it goes i left the car for a week it was running great... after that week i try to start the car it wont fire this is whats happening:

igniter is getting hot so are the wires going to it and from it i see smoke after a few cranks from the wires.

when i crank the engine its struggling like the battery is dead unless i unplud the HT lead that goes from the coil to dizzy the crank speed increase?? yes there is spark if the engine starts it dies straight away.

this is what ive tried:

changed coil changed igniter changed the HT Leads looked everywhere for a short somewhere? nothing? used another car to jump start so i had heaps of tries. when i try crank with ht leads thats slowing down cranking wires still get hot and smoke ecu is fine not getting hot or smoking or smelling like fried??? and ive tried a different one as well. even changed spark plugs.

What i think the ignition side of things isnt wired correctly?

on the igniter the white wire is cut off does anyone know the ignitor pinouts/what each wire is for? il just re wire the ignition go from there

on the picture i have red white brown yellow black

please some one tell me where these wires go and what they re for or some info how the ignition suppose to be wired?

pretty please
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Strange ignition problem
picture[url] http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=4age+ig...152%3B1536[/url]
04-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Strange ignition problem
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Strange ignition problem]

Ooooooooooooooooooohhh.... thats a BIG one Tongue

Cheers... jondee86
04-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Strange ignition problem
if anyone could tell me what those wires are would be great there isnt proper info online google searched it? this loom is tidy came with the engine but am not the one made it i am just gna re do it. really hatin on efi cnt wait for my carbies. i always have problems i cnt deal with..
04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Strange ignition problem
Those wires arent described in the factory manual afaik as most of them stay in the loom.
2 should go to the distributor pickup, 2 for power/gnd, 2 to the coil, but there's only 5 wires.. so I guess the manual is not quite accurate.

FWIW, white is usually power, black ground, but dont just assume that to be true in this case.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Strange ignition problem
3 wires are connected on the igniter one is left out its the white one. the idiot that did the loom removed the original square ae86 plug male and female and replaced them with his own colors and fagy plugs and left that white wire on the igniter hanging.
how about some one care to take a look on theyr blue top engine where the white wire goes from the igniter to where ever?? i can work out the rest just one white wire. il use the engine check light as soon as i get one.
04-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Strange ignition problem
and white cnt be power Ivan ive already got power and spark its just weak. i just wonder why it ran well b4 without it? do i meant to have a resistor? because there isnt one?
04-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Strange ignition problem
2 block to chassis, head to chassis, alternator body to chassis and chassis to battery.
Ensure all are in good condition, no corrosion and cable itself is in good condition.

Very important earth
Ignitor casing to chassis.

The toyota igniter earths directly to the body. A common fault is that people paint them for looks but dont sand the contact to the body down.
Clean the igniter down, all contacts between bolt and igniter, and igniter to chassis contact spot.

Cleaning an igniters earth path in the above way fixed several igniters in my time.

http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Strange ignition problem
the type of earth this guy did is a brown wire coming from the loom and bolted down to the igniter not chassis, il change that see how it goes.
04-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Strange ignition problem
update changed the earth to chassis on igniter and added this little black resistor box the smoke from wires stoped. changed another igniter again 3rd time no luck no start. wire from coil to dizzy still delays cranking speed??? checked for other things like timing and fuel system algood injectors are tickering. so then i thought why dont i put the damn thing in diagnosis mode?? didnt have LED light so i used the choke light. its flashing 11 times every after 3 seconds. still havent got it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,877 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  extracted freedom ecu 16v ignition map ditn 7 8,099 08-22-2016 10:01 AM
Last Post: ditn
  4AGE 20v Ignition Lead Length mad.matt 3 6,136 10-01-2014 03:43 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  [Tutorial Video] Setting 4A-GE Ignition Timing Homem Bomba 0 4,971 04-21-2014 02:41 PM
Last Post: Homem Bomba
  Strange moment curve harkes 22 17,725 08-13-2013 01:50 PM
Last Post: harkes