Stock Bigport Engine + ITB?s?!
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey there,

With some thinking my recent Trueno project is not becoming a "race car", i'm more into building a stance AE86 that allows me to drive it and enjoy the ar. Simple as that. Probably in the future i'll get something to drift hard!

So.... with all the options i have, i started out trying to find a easy way to make the engine look cool, and the question popped up almost immediately.

It's possible to have the 20V ITB setup in the 4AGE blue-top stock engine?
When i say stock engine, i'm referring the stock components of the engine itself....

That's pretty much my main question now!

Regards
Find all posts by this user
07-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Hello Mate i've done a load of research into this myself as it was the first engine mod I wanted to do.

I'm by no means an expert on this but from what I gathered you have to run the inlet manifold adapter for the throttle bodies and get a customisable ECU to change the ignition timing or something. I know this doesn't help much but I'm sure someone that is more clued up will tell you exactly what you need!

From what i looked at though this is not a cheap mod! mainly due to the ECU problem however doing this isn't just so you can run ITB's it opens up so many more routes for tuning!

Hope this helped a little!
07-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I'd say ITB's look and sound very cool but on stock internals they are pretty useless performance wise.
They will cost big money, you will have to change ECU, buy/make adapter and airbox and after all of that, you will see little or no performance advantage.

If you are planning further upgrades (cams, pistons, exhaust header) ITB's will get along very well with them. But i'd say they are far from mandatory, and really beside looks and sound, you don't gain much performance with them.

I've been through all this, speaking from personal experience.
07-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Hello there,

Thanks for the replies! I know i'll have to change the ECU and all of that.... I really know that is also a bit expensive...

But, like i said, the car will be more of a stance than a hardcore drifting machine!

I'm not thinking os changing too many more things on the engine itself, maybe only exterior parts... Inside, i'll leave it there, it's all good and working....

I just feel that in terms of look, the itb's go along the 16V very well, and are a major good looking update on the engine itself.

So i guess it's possible, because i tought that ITB's only were possible to fit on the 16V with specific cams, or other internals...

Anyone with a good tutorial, manual, project of something related?!

Thanks!
07-18-2012, 04:27 PM
By the time you price out all the bits you need for the conversion and add in the dyno time needed to map the new ECU for the engine, you are already spending more money then you would selling your old 4AGE and buying a silvertop 4AGE.

It doesn't really matter what the purpose of the car is, you need a decent map to stop the engine from self destructing. Might aswell run full toyota OEM.

But if you want to keep the engine you'll need:
Throttle bodies
T3 adapter.
T3 trumpets
Air filter box (remove when trying to impress)
Megasquirt PnP or MS and triggerwheel (t3)+ sensors+EDIS hardware from the wreckers.
Vacuum collector+hoses.
Dyno time

I'm forgetting some small stuff, but I'msure others will chime in.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, it's probably cheaper to fit in a 20VBlacktop and take the advantage of the engine and the ITB's!

But considering that i'm only needing to squirt a new ECU and rebuilt all the vacuum system it's not something that troubles me!

gon and apardal master the ITB issues with great knowledge! Maybe they could help me somehow!

Have to think about it! Hurray!

Thanks! Thumbs up!
07-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Consider this... easier and more street cred than ITB's Big Grin

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Stock Bigport Engine + ITB?s?!]

http://subzero182.wordpress.com/2011/04/...10-engine/

Cheers... jondee86
07-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Good advice, fcrs are definetly on top of the cool scale, beside that they run great.
Although, they are very expensive, some solex/weber/delorto are way cheaper, also pretty cool and will run great so you can consider them if you are willing to go carbed.

Carburetors would be my choice for a quick fix of 4age, both apperance and performance wise. Easy, cheap, cool. Way to go.
07-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I still want the injection! That's why the ITB setup is the target....

Oh well.. guess i'll have to search more about this! Thanks!
07-19-2012, 10:39 PM
OK... you can do ITB's with the factory ECU. Have a read of this...

http://www.twincam.org/topic/26291-diy-2...-16v-4age/

The manifold is the only tricky part. There are a few people making them
or you can take the easy route and buy the T3 one. I made my own, and
it cost me more than the T3 item, but mine flows a lot better :wink:

Good luck... jondee86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital speedometer on stock dashboard FanIsHere 0 954 11-09-2022 01:36 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  82mm Stock compression Pistons apardal 4 2,230 11-24-2021 04:26 PM
Last Post: apardal
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,900 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Most stock-resembling exhaust for the AE86? DaLanZhu 4 4,907 03-24-2019 04:10 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Early tvis red top from e9 gti small or bigport? Ryo 3 6,948 04-20-2018 09:14 AM
Last Post: Ivan141