Steering Feel with Mods
03-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Steering Feel with Mods
Hi Guys,

I remember seeing something about AE86 steering mod combinations with Battle Version I/II mods and a twitchy/unsure steering feel and can't for the life of me remember where it was or exactly what it said to avoid

I'll be changing the engine soon and the sub-frame will be spaced to suit so it'll need a bit more to get the suspension right.

Currently I have: AW11 Manual Rack, OEM PS Inner Tie rods and Outers, OEM PS Knuckles, 20mm (I think) RCAs, OEM LCAs.

New proposed setup: AW11 Manual Rack, Hardrace Inner Over Angle tie rods (integrated 5mm Spacer), T3 Outers, OEM PS Knuckles, CBradley Adjustable LCAs.

I don't want/need MEGA lock, I was happy with the lock I had but wasn't sure if the 5mm spacers on the Inners would make the steering a little twitchy with Manual rack and PS knuckles.

Or can anyone recommend decent Tie rods without integrated 5mm spacers?

Cheers in advance!
Matt
Find all posts by this user
03-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Steering Feel with Mods
Genuine Toyota inner tie rods would be my choice.
I have the same adjustable LCA's and I think that adjusting camber from a top mount is better unless you need to keep the stock rubber mount.
T3 outer joints will help to eliminate bump steer and that is probably the main benefit from using them.
Toe setting and caster angle are critical to decent steering feel, toe out will lead to twitchy steering especially over bumps.

An analogue brain in a digital World
03-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Steering Feel with Mods
(03-24-2016 05:12 PM)totta Crolla Wrote:  Genuine Toyota inner tie rods would be my choice.
I have the same adjustable LCA's and I think that adjusting camber from a top mount is better unless you need to keep the stock rubber mount.
T3 outer joints will help to eliminate bump steer and that is probably the main benefit from using them.
Toe setting and caster angle are critical to decent steering feel, toe out will lead to twitchy steering especially over bumps.

Thanks for the reply.

I was worried about the flexability/engagement angle on them AND also the overall strength of them. Driftland has some pretty brutal gravel run-off areas and they can be hard on tie rods.

It already has Cusco coilovers and top mounts for that as well thankfully.
The suspension alignment/settings will likely be done with Dreadnaught in Callendar as they set up X-Power cars for racing previously or Pro-tune in Glasgow.

It was more the steering input/throw with spaced inners and power steering knuckles, don't want it to feel nervous!
03-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Steering Feel with Mods
I can't see it changing the actual ratio of the steering but it will change the bumpsteer so if there was an issue with it being 'nervous' it would likely come from that.

An analogue brain in a digital World
03-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Steering Feel with Mods
(03-24-2016 08:33 PM)totta Crolla Wrote:  I can't see it changing the actual ratio of the steering but it will change the bumpsteer so if there was an issue with it being 'nervous' it would likely come from that.

Cheers buddy Smile I appreciate the help.

From a little more research, the issues seem to come from Battle Garage V2 lock mods with PS knuckles, so should be fine with a little spacer and PS knuckles and all the other components to dial out bump steer...although my Eunos bump steered like a cnut and I just got used to it hah.

It seems like most people have had some clearance issues using the T3 outers with a variety of ARBs, LCAs and Tension rods but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, I look forward to getting cracking with it!
03-26-2016, 02:08 AM
Steering Feel with Mods
(03-25-2016 11:50 AM)mad.matt Wrote:  
(03-24-2016 08:33 PM)totta Crolla Wrote:  I can't see it changing the actual ratio of the steering but it will change the bumpsteer so if there was an issue with it being 'nervous' it would likely come from that.

Cheers buddy Smile I appreciate the help.

From a little more research, the issues seem to come from Battle Garage V2 lock mods with PS knuckles, so should be fine with a little spacer and PS knuckles and all the other components to dial out bump steer...although my Eunos bump steered like a cnut and I just got used to it hah.

It seems like most people have had some clearance issues using the T3 outers with a variety of ARBs, LCAs and Tension rods but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, I look forward to getting cracking with it!

Yeap, the T3 tie rod will most likely hit the lower arm on full lock. (they do in my battle version 2 + ps knuckles) I also had to remove the bolts and weld in a stud on my Driftworks adjustable tension rods. CanĀ“t exactly remeber why, but some thing was hitting in 1212. Smile

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  non ps steering knucles and steering racks Comrade_charlie 4 5,773 10-09-2008 12:24 PM
Last Post: raki