Start switch (ignition switch)
01-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Does someone know if there is any current flowing through battery when the key is left in the first position (I think AC).

The first position is when you put the key in, then turn it once (next turn the lights on dashboard come on and next turn is start).

The problem is, that at the body restauration the mechanic left the key in the first position (he didn't know that to put the key in zero position you need to press the button Sad ) for about 1 month, without starting the car and now the car doesn't start Sad, even after the battery was refilled.

The engine doesn't turn, only the zzzz is heared from the intake manifold (it might be the cold start injector).

Andrej
Find all posts by this user
01-13-2005, 09:00 AM
May sound like a stupid question, but did you check all the fuses? Including the ones next to + on the battery? Think there are 2 x 10 A and 1 x 80 A there.
I managed to blow the 80 A fuse there with start cables... I got the same problem you have, my car wouldn't start and i tried everything. Maybe he welded or something with the power on?

Best Regards,

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Start switch (ignition switch)]
01-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Yes, if it doesnt turn at all with a full battery fuses are the first thing to check. Also take a peek at the starter, see if the switching wire is still connected. The engine not turning over at all is purely a problem in the starter system.
BTW, may I ask if you have any devices interrupting the start circuit?
I have one that goes crazy once in a while, blocking my starting circuit for no apparent reason at all.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2005, 12:56 PM
I'll see if I have time to write a practicle little ditty about resolving starting problems, since I've had my fair share of them in the past 2 years.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-13-2005, 01:25 PM
As the car is in the restauration away from my home garage, I didn't have time and tools to check all the things. I was so shocked that I've also forgotten to check fuses Sad
I remembered only to do some bits on the starter, as it might also be problematic.

I'll check fuses on my next visit, when I'll take also the new battery with me. I'm suspicious also with the battery, because if it was empty for a month it might have lost it's capability (this means that when loaded the voltage falls).

Regards
Andrej
01-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Dont worry too much.. I left my car on the other side of town for 2 weeks once because I only got buzzing when I tried to start...turned out to be the switching wire to the starter that had come loose. If you see the dash light up correctly you know that ignition switch is probably okay. I only got a wild clicking from a relay on the passenger side when that wire was loose.
If all fuses and switching wire are checked out and in order, then try getting a pipe to touch the starter and hit it with a hammer (not too violently). Sometimes the bendix gets stuck on starter engines, making it hard for the starter to start spinning, the tap of the hammer can then cause it to pop back into place. I've never seen it happen to a hachi myself, but it's a possibility.

If all this fails then you need to diagnose the system more precisely.
Sure way to check if starter is alive is to disconnect switching wire and use a bit of wire to directly connect the switching contact of the starter to the battery (bridging the starter).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:If all fuses and switching wire are checked out and in order, then try getting a pipe to touch the starter and hit it with a hammer (not too violently). Sometimes the bendix gets stuck on starter engines, making it hard for the starter to start spinning, the tap of the hammer can then cause it to pop back into place. I've never seen it happen to a hachi myself, but it's a possibility.

That's Mini territory! I had the same problem once and it worked. And the started wire another time... Gotta love those old cars!
01-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Hell I've have dealt with starter wire come loose, starter bearings fail, ignition installed incorrectly (extreme pre-ignition), ignition kill switch acting up, burned down wiring looms, and drowned engines...
All on hachi's, not all on mine though..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warm start problem DJexor 5 1,536 03-09-2023 10:15 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  20v Silvertop stock ignition timing and fueling maps Lykowsky 5 11,896 07-18-2019 03:52 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Weak spark, doesn’t start. AlexFourTwenty 4 13,318 12-12-2017 03:35 AM
Last Post: AlexFourTwenty
  Won´t start AlexKTM 6 15,047 12-04-2017 10:05 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Hard start issue kazi 5 6,080 05-23-2017 11:31 PM
Last Post: kazi