Smokey 20V
12-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Smokey 20V
(12-11-2015 05:11 PM)pack Wrote:  I'm not sure if i understood your post... LOL

But yeah basically i will rebuild my engine now....

I'm aiming at

TRD - engine bearings
ARP bolts all around
Supertech valve seals
OEM piston rings

And.... basically this is it...
HAHAH, ach well. It's a quote from F&F after Brian loses his first race against Dom Smile

Sounds like you're doing it right though, lesson learned Smile good luck with it!
Find all posts by this user
12-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Smokey 20V
In my opinion I would stick with OEM bearings (make sure you correctly calculate the required size)
and
should you not hone the block if you are changing piston rings ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Smokey 20V
New honing will be done for sure Wink

I'm planning on starting my engine on January... Wink
12-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Smokey 20V
Blacktop bearings are different from every other 4age bearings. Look at the side conrod grove. "Normal" conrod bearings have a hole on the middle and BT bearings don't.

12-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Smokey 20V
(11-24-2015 01:48 PM)pack Wrote:  Since my last engine rebuild i've made 1000km's
Of course the engine had a bit of oil consumption....
i didn't changed my piston rings.....
I'm pretty sure that because the engine was not used for a long time
Seriously doubt it sat that long in conditions that bad, only that it was assembled poorly.

I'm pretty sure that because the engine was touched by someone, that is the cause of it drinking oil.
The chance of doing it right, or even a bit better, this time is poor and stating that ARP & TRD stuff is necessary shows that you really better figure out real cause/es.

So what!
12-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Smokey 20V
(12-30-2015 09:30 AM)allencr Wrote:  
(11-24-2015 01:48 PM)pack Wrote:  Since my last engine rebuild i've made 1000km's
Of course the engine had a bit of oil consumption....
i didn't changed my piston rings.....
I'm pretty sure that because the engine was not used for a long time
Seriously doubt it sat that long in conditions that bad, only that it was assembled poorly.

I'm pretty sure that because the engine was touched by someone, that is the cause of it drinking oil.
The chance of doing it right, or even a bit better, this time is poor and stating that ARP & TRD stuff is necessary shows that you really better figure out real cause/es.

Stating engine brands for upgrades is just talking..... I'm pretty sure now that it's not piston rings but it's something on the head...

2016 will be a great year Smile
03-06-2016, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2016 09:49 PM by ITBdandSIDEWAYZ.)
Smokey 20V
(11-30-2015 05:05 PM)LarsZ Wrote:  Had the same problem with my 20v engine, replaced stem seals, didnt help, then I've changed the piston rings and that solved the problem. It looked to be the oil control rings that were stuck.

I just pulled apart my 16V and I believe my problem is rings because they look gummed up and were stuck in. I wish I would have known before pulling the engine apart but if you do have problems with piston oil control rings sticking you can try something before opening the engine up. The guys at the dealership I worked at as a mechanic swore by a product called GM Top Engine Cleaner (similar to Seafoam). What you can do is pull the spark plugs and pour 1/2 the bottle into the spark plug holes evenly divided. Let it soak for an hour and pour the rest in. Let that soak overnight and it should free and clean the rings. Make sure to drain the oil and out fresh in and THEN crank the engine with the plugs out. Reinstall the plugs and hopefully your rings are free. Run the engine and don't just drive it like your Grandma. Make sure to change your oil though because the cleaner soaks past the rings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machining Pistons to run 20v head... And FCR's on a 20v? PazzaAE86 2 4,780 09-15-2013 01:08 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  20v bt swap to ae86 (20v or 16v flywheel????) kid 11 13,846 12-08-2007 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jan Pedersen