Smoke out of the exhaust.
09-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I noticed this today for the first time.
It happened twice.
First time I was drifting around a pole. For 1 minute or so. Then pulled over with the engine revving stationary. When I drove away again I saw a huge cloud of smoke behind me. It was white/grey smoke. So I stop and check the temp and pressure gauge, everything is fine, I rev the engine a little..nothing...no smoke just as normal. Check under the bonnet, oil and water are both good and filled up to half. (between min-max)

So I took of again. Then half an hour later I'm burning up my old tires, first burnouts..then go for donuts. So I'm getting dizzy of going round and round, donuting at one spot when BAMM!! my exhaust shoots another cloud of smoke out. I stop immediately to check everything but nothing unusual again. Hmm..weird. I know that when I'm in high revs I have a lot of oil pressure according to the stock gauge.
It's almost at the H mark...like this:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Smoke out of the exhaust.]

Could that be the problem?

An other thing is that during the donuts the oil in the oil pan will probably go to one side...so that could mean that the engine doesn't get enough oil.
But how does the oil get in the exhaust system??

I'm 100% positive it's not the head gasket. No more smoke from the exhaust, same water level, no overheating according to the temp gauge.
Find all posts by this user
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
hey bubble,

oil burning would be blueish smoke, but it could be oil coming up from the thingy on you cam covers. Can't remember the english word but on your left camcover there is a nipple with a hose that runs back to the intake manifold. Its there for letting fumes and air escape from the engine and go into your intake.

On heavy cornering it is possible oil gets pushed up that hose and enters your intake and gets burned. Thats why many people using their cars like this install a catch can there.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Basic AE86 knowledge.... during prolonged g-forces going left, the oil gets slinged to the right side of the engine (viewed from the drivers seat). The oil does not drain down from the cilinder head fast enough and starts overflowing through the crankcase ventilation. This would cause the car to lay smoke screens of burnt oil. It's also the reason why later smallport engines have an external oil return pipe to aid oil drainage from the cylinder head.
I've seen people switching the cam covers around so that the crankcase breather hose is more to the middle of the engine.. this will stop the oil from escaping into the intake.. an oil catch can will also help. Eventually, it might be dangerous for your engine to keep going sideways for so long, once there's not enough oil left in the sump, it's bye-bye engine time. Jasper or P-Nut can probably tell you if this ever happens in practice since they have plenty of experience with drifting ae86's already.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I think that lots of oil is blue smoke..but a little bit of oil is a bit greyish..You see this on 200sx's with old leaky turbos too. They smoke a bit of white/grey smoke.

But that is actually a good advice. to install a catch tank...thanks!

PS.
Some other guy told me that they used to weld in little plates in the oil pan to prevent oil from going to one side of the oil pan.

You can actually buy special oil pans like that for sr20det engines..but you could also make your own I think.

Example
http://www.optionimports.com/grbigoilpanu.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust has white smoke coming out and I dont know why... mister86 3 3,799 01-19-2020 12:06 AM
Last Post: Power_uP
  4AGE - Engine Smoke and Smell pack 10 12,560 04-20-2017 05:06 PM
Last Post: Bean