Shuichi Shigeno's new manga (and a car related one!)
07-28-2017, 03:00 AM
So it looks like Shuichi Shigeno (author of the Initial D original manga) will be publishing his new manga sometime this summer. And it was announced as car racing related! It was announced back in the month of April when his manga Sailor Ace's last chapter came out on the Young Magazine as usual:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...er/.114101

According to Anime News Network, the plot will be...
Quote:The series will take place in the 2020s, when self-driving cars are ubiquitous in Japan. The series will feature a genius driver who goes back to Japan after graduating top of his or her class at a racing school in England.

After finishing Initial D in 2013, Shigeno has published two different mangas, Amazing Hana and Sailor Ace, none of them related to cars or racing in any way. So it was about time, Shigeno sensei!

A few days ago, the final name was revealed (MF Ghost) along with some sketches and an advertising page:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Shuichi Shigeno's new manga...ated one!)]

Noticed the "202X" year? Very Initial D-sque, isn't it? Reminds me of the first chapter of the manga when it was read it all took place in "199X" Wink

Now time for my crazy theory:

Looking at that pic, it may well be the silhouette of a Toyota 86 / GT86. Can't it be? By the time, the ZN6 could be already 10+ years old, also... That would make a good parallelism with Initial D.

Could it be possible... ? Come on, let me dream a little bit Cool

Being Shigeno, it would be amazing to see a cameo like that.

Maybe this time we'll see the little Toyota 86 beating some crazy Tesla P100D on AutoPilot mode? Huh

I'm officially hyped now Hurray!
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2017, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2017 09:33 AM by d3nso.)
(07-28-2017 03:00 AM)headrush Wrote:  Maybe this time we'll see the little Toyota 86 beating some crazy Tesla P100D on AutoPilot mode? Huh

This part let me laugh hard, my colleagues at work gave me a strange look after that... Big Grin

Now I'm hyped too.

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
07-28-2017, 04:20 PM
That main character looks an awful lot like Kenta Nakamura from the Red Suns. But that's just my 2 cents. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2017, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2017 08:29 PM by headrush.)
(07-28-2017 09:32 AM)d3nso Wrote:  This part let me laugh hard, my colleagues at work gave me a strange look after that... Big Grin

Now I'm hyped too.

Respect!

(07-28-2017 04:20 PM)banpei Wrote:  That main character looks an awful lot like Kenta Nakamura from the Red Suns. But that's just my 2 cents. Wink

Haha, I thought exactly the same. But I think it's his limited hability to draw faces, I've noticed he always draws the same face with few variations (eyebrows, eye shape), then he adds different hair styles to distinguish the characters (well, Itsuki doesn't count, he's one of a kind Blush).

But I like it that way, I think it's part of Shigeno's magic... Dodgy
07-29-2017, 04:03 PM
The plot also reminds me of éX-Driver...

Full of runaway electric autopilot cars being chased by people driving cool petrol powered cars. Big Grin

07-31-2017, 01:11 AM
(07-29-2017 04:03 PM)banpei Wrote:  The plot also reminds me of éX-Driver...

Wooo, you're absolutely right! It looks like they're based after the same premise, at least the world/context where the story takes place. Looking forward to see what direction it does take.

I remember I tried to watch a few episodes from eX Driver some time ago but lost interest as soon as my beloved GC8 got replaced in the very first episodes Crying

Btw, it seems like the manga is already in ongoing status according to Wikipedia, but I can't find anything else:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuichi_Shigeno
09-09-2017, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2017 05:02 AM by headrush.)
OK, this may look like a poor excuse to post some gravure links, but I promise you it is not Cool

MF Ghost's first chapter is out on this week's Young Magazine issue:

http://yanmaga.jp/weekly/backnumber/2017/2017-40.html

And I found a review of the first chapter of the manga on YouTube:

<!-- WARNING: Plot details ahead, please stop reading here if you don't want to know -->

It looks like there are a few references to Initial D:
- One of the characters is named Ryō Takahashi, it looks like he's the responsible behind these races and it's said to be a racing genius.
- We can see a GT-R (R35 Nismo, MY2017) racing in the Mazda Turnpike in Hakone (formerly known as Toyo Tires Turnpike, it's the road where Ryōsuke raced Shinigami's GT-R).
- A Toyota 86 makes an appearance at 2:30.

It looks OK to me so far, can't wait to have a look at it!! Tbh, I'm only seeing negative comments about it on an Initial D-related forum where I posted this... idk, it's not Initial D but I liked it.

What do you guys think? (I'm talking about the manga itself, of course! Dodgy)
09-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Someone on Reddit has translated the 1st chapter already:

https://www.reddit.com/r/initiald/commen...n_english/

(Click on the title to go to the scanlations)

Enjoy!
09-15-2017, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2017 10:48 PM by banpei.)
Nice! Thanks for sharing! Thumbs up!
Seeing that silhouette makes me believe Shuichi Shigeno is still fond of the 86 / GT86!

10-17-2017, 04:07 PM
The story revolves around a Hāfu (half British and half Japanese) young school boy who came to Japan to get answers about his family. The story plays in Fujisawa, south of Yokohama (I visited Enoshima once and Kamakura to the east is a nice place). Also I feel responsible for all this as I do an internship for Automated Driving. Sorry.

I bought the first Chapter when it was new, but I thought the magazine was a monthly Young Magazine. The next chapter I bought is chapter 6, so I have a gap already.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toyota related videos tomstwincam 9 12,172 06-02-2007 03:16 AM
Last Post: tomstwincam