Shifting Weight
07-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Shifting Weight
The stiffness of your suspension only dictates the speed in which weight is shifted. The stiffer it gets, the slower the weight transfer will be.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Shifting Weight
Ghe ghe...WRONG! Smile

Ok a car with a given wheelbase and weight in a certain G-corner, shifts exactly the same amount of mass..its simple physics..draw a free body diagram and all will be clear. So hamsup: the weight transfer is the same too.

Ivan, a stiffer suspension shift weight more quickly then a soft suspension. not the other way around. It makes it easier to induce a shockload on the tires and break them loose..It also means that the transition fase is over more quickly.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
07-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Shifting Weight
ok ok just to let you know i m not trying to start an argument here just want to debate ok Big Grin

on my earlier post i said.
that is true, the car weighs excatly the same whether you have soft or hard suspension but with stiffer suspension, you get to shift more aggressively the weight of the car thus creating a more weight transfer.

i think rewording what i should had said is
that is true, the car weighs excatly the same whether you have soft or hard suspension but with stiffer suspension, you get to shift more aggressively the weight of the car thus creating a more effective weight transfer.
07-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Shifting Weight
Quote:that is true, the car weighs excatly the same whether you have soft or hard suspension but with stiffer suspension, you get to shift more aggressively the weight of the car thus creating a more weight transfer.
I bet on this Smile we have dynamic system, corner ballansing, not static - so stiffer spring shifts more weight, stiffer shock "tells" to spring to shift the weight quicker. and all that weight is shifted not from one side of the car to other - all weight is at contact spots of tires(friction circles) and generates traction.

Quote:Soft and hard suspensions will both shift exactly the same amount of wight I'm affraid.
in an hour may be Smile but in miliseconds - not. stiffer=quicker

84' AE86 Levin
96' 500HP WRX, powered by landikar
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Shifting Weight]
07-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Shifting Weight
Thats exactly what I wrote down..Exactly the same amount shifted, but quicker. In the end, the corner you take has a fixed radius..so the whole one hour story isn't true either:
same corner

same car

same line

same weight shifted

02-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Shifting Weight
But it your setup was stiffer than stock, wouldn't the weight be more centralized than a softer setup with more body roll? If the car isn't leaning and/or lowered I'd think it's center of gravity would be more central and lower too.
02-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Shifting Weight
Huh...?

The debate is not whether lowered/stiffer cars are better for drifting: they sure are a lot easier to controll imho. But the amount of weight shifted..that stays the same, though stiff suspensions get the shift done more quickly.

02-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Shifting Weight
Plus the debate was over about 7 months ago Dumb question
02-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Shifting Weight
yeah, stop digging up old threads mates :lol:

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij