Saw the light -> My 1986 AE86 project
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi,

so i bought LevinGT's 1986 Levin.

main welding has all been done already but the outside needs some tlc besides some minor welding around the body and fixing the underside of the doors.
so on the phone 'all day' with ppl who can make things straight and paint things like cars.
when i get the car i will drive afterwards right away to a shop that will analyse the car and give me a rough est. what i'll have to pay to get a 'new' looking Levin.
then the repaint process begins (same white color with a nice blank touch afterwards).

compression test, internal examination of the engine, new oil filter, new oil, new sparkplugs, new fuelfilter, bushings, other catback, Apex/Levin stickers for on the back when painted ... all busy with it or on it's way.

the a/f meter or the lambda is broken i think, oil temp is in F and not Celsius so those will be replaced together with the oil pressure meter.

some questions:
- how rich is the stock ecu? pig rich or moderate? stoich under cruise?
- open intake with open exhaust: dangerous for a/f or save to let's say autoX (not going to drift the car)? should i buy a piggy to be save?
- anyone experience with an oilcooler that gets and delivers the oil from/to the adapter under the oilfilter? pressure drops? temp drops and how steady under what load? 'nessesary' mod or bogus?
- anybody any idea or rough guess what the colorcode is? to many white colors i found ...

my other project is my Elford which can be seen on my homepage. and that car is going to the welder in a few weeks. that's my other project but not ae86 or piston based so i will be quiet Smile

hope to see you all on some meeting some day!

greetings from the Netherlands from a true hardcore rotorhead with a passion for the AE86 (and no, not going to put a 12A, REW or 20B in it).

53.6 Tsukuba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-AnG3LYUg
try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IiUAtoNBk
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2007, 07:08 AM
I've never heard any talk of open airfilters/exhausts being dangerous for the engine. There are plenty of oilcooler setups available that would need a diffeent sandwichplate on the engine block. The stock system is a pressure-bypass, which is not very good since oil pressure drops when the oil gets hotter, you can imagine this is less then ideal. If you're going to use the engine intesively and want all the cooling you can, might as well accept a possible drop in pressure, otherwise juse a thermostatic bypass to minimise the drawbacks. No idea about the A/F ratio's.. a wideband would be a nice touch if you're replacing the lambda sensor since the MAP sensored version doesnt need a regular lambda anyway (unless it has a catalysator).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Judging from that engine shot I think that engine is the standard Euro MAP so probably no lambda and no AF-meter and probably no catalyc converter.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Saw the light -> My ...86 project]
07-04-2007, 10:48 AM
('Wave') Hi all, indeed Banpei, Map no cat , I used lamba sensor just to hook up the A/F meter, it's a pre-heated one,but as ibmfd3s mentioned earlier maybe broken Confused

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
07-04-2007, 02:21 PM
mmm....what a nice example...Smile
reminds me of my rollaWink

keep her in good shape man!Wink

adam
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
LevinGT Wrote:('Wave') Hi all, indeed Banpei, Map no cat , I used lamba sensor just to hook up the A/F meter, it's a pre-heated one,but as ibmfd3s mentioned earlier maybe broken Confused
Ah, that explains a lot. Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Saw the light -> My ...86 project]
07-05-2007, 12:19 PM
stragne thing is that when i cruise above 100 km/hour the meter goes to lean so i think the lambda sendor is faulty.

07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Lean under cruising is pretty normal. If it shows rich mixtures under accel the meter should be allright.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-05-2007, 09:23 PM
that's just the thing, under accel when engine is at normal temp mixure leans out, ehh the gauge does Confused , but with cold engine and accel, reading is rich. which is normal, I guess.

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
07-06-2007, 01:23 AM
information collected. car will be parted, sanded, worked on, welded, primered, sanded, painted and so within a few weeks time. will do some work myself as i like the car a lot. same 041 white color goes on as i like the color on the car/model. and i'll take piccies of the happening.
cumming sunday is tacn meeting in Lunteren and i'll visit the meeting with the Hatchi.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 1986 ae86 ditn 73 71,224 06-23-2013 04:08 PM
Last Post: slowboy2
  1986 Corolla SR5 S2k Build.... MIami style geoscranny84 16 21,099 04-26-2012 08:00 PM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair
  hachiroll`s rust&lowcompressionrolla project hachiroll 53 44,985 04-24-2012 03:35 PM
Last Post: hachiroll
  Kaboom Project #62 [KP62] & Toyota scrapyard meshin 9 12,239 02-05-2010 10:45 AM
Last Post: nmwisima