STRUT CASING HELP!!!
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
STRUT CASING HELP!!!
okay ive done a few research but its confusing me still having different write up's and do's and dont's...

well i want to convert my front suspension into a coilover set up.. what i have? are the following parts:

paradise coilover kit with 8kg spring
tein camber plate
battle version nrca's
front kyb agx 4 way adjustable

now i would like to be sure how much do i really have to cut off my struts?

someone says cut it 60mm and put 20mm of spacers...
someone says cut it 50mm and put enouch spacers to lock it down
someone says cut it 40mm and put enough spacers to lock it down

well heres another future plan, i am only using this shocks because my trd shocks wont be available until next month (coming from japan) so what i would like down the line is that i want to make sure when i cut my struts i would still be able to use the trd shocks without recutting my struts again..

i would really appreciate all the help, opinions and suggestions.. thank you!
Find all posts by this user
03-20-2008, 12:01 AM
STRUT CASING HELP!!!
akuma,

put in the shock. Measure the hight till the top. You have to cut the screw part of the strut and weld it down. So the more you cut the more in lenght you have to weld back up.

Its simple. The shock must be in tight! thats how it stays in one position!

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-20-2008, 01:47 AM
STRUT CASING HELP!!!
Robo,

If you cut it like that it will fit great but the strut will be very short and the whole unit will sit to low.

The problem with the shorter shocks is that if you do not put a spacer underneath, the shock simply sits to low to work optimal unless you want your car to be so low that the underside of the car hits the tarmac.

So add a 2cm spacer underneath the shock, then measure how much you need to shorten the strut to make it a tight fit. With Tokico HTS its 4CM shortening. With AGX it is probably similar.

There is a great writeup in the tech section of Club4ag that explains exactly why you should put a spacer underneath the shock. It also explains exactly why this spacer should not be to big. It all has to do with the amount of travel the shock piston has up or down when the car is standing still. Put the shock to high or to low, and the piston can move very far down, but only a little up, or visa versa, and you use the shock ineffectively.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-20-2008, 02:55 AM
STRUT CASING HELP!!!
thanks alot guys for the help its becoming more clear now, i hope its a lil bit more easier to find that write up.. lol, i couldnt seem to find it on club4ag. Sad but anyways.. i really appreciate it.. now my main concern is what would be the right spacer underneath my shocks to perform at its best. thanks.
03-20-2008, 08:22 AM
STRUT CASING HELP!!!
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...ersion.htm Cool Cool

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - STRUT CASING HELP!!!]

Corolla Levin SR 1984 AE-85 (Project car)
Corolla Runx Z 2002 (Runabout)
03-20-2008, 10:12 AM
STRUT CASING HELP!!!
Thanks rick, I was really wanting to go to bed last night, normally I would have looked it upSmile

It really is one of the better writeups on the subject methinks..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
STRUT CASING HELP!!!
yeah i couldnt sleep last night so i looked for it on club4ag Sad stupid me didnt look under reference... i was just using the search.. but thanks alot guys.. its crystal clear now to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TUV - Strut brace pack 3 4,767 09-08-2018 08:17 PM
Last Post: d3nso
  Need urgent help strut mounts. ditn 5 7,076 01-21-2012 03:37 PM
Last Post: ditn
  front strut lenght comparison problems fax0815 6 7,032 01-25-2011 04:12 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  Rear Strut heshan 5 5,807 01-02-2011 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sam-Q
  techno toy tuning rear strut tower braces....installation ?. J_who_ez 14 17,009 09-18-2010 04:33 PM
Last Post: PatrickAE86