SR5 to GT-S Conversion
11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
I am almost ready to begin the process of converting my sr5 to a GTS Big Grin . I have some money for the first stages, and I just need to figure out what order to do things in.

I was originally planning on replacing my 4ac with a 4age first, but a friend of mine mentioned that since my rear axle setup is lighter than that of a GTS, it would probably get torn apart under the pressure from a 4age. Is this true? If so, it seems the obvious first step would actually be to convert the rear end to GTS axle, brakes and LSD. And if anyone would be able to give me an idea where I can aquire one, I would be very appreciative.

[edit] also curious.. are the 4ac and 4age wiring harnesses compatible with either engine?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2007, 08:33 AM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
IMO that's nonsense if you upgrade to a stock 4AGE! The SR5 axle is just lacking LSD, but the power increase should not be that high to break the axle. It is true that the crownwheel is a weak spot of the hachi, but you will have that as well on the GTS axle.

We have a good SR5->GTS write up here:
http://www.aeu86.org/index/engine-ae86-s...post=72098
But it focusses on full swap, including GTS axle.

Good luck btw! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - SR5 to GT-S Conversion]
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
Yeah I've been looking that how-to over, and it will be and has been a huge help with this. Thumbs up!

Good to know that the axle and pumpkin should hold up under the strain.. however I failed to mention before that my current differential is already pretty worn, and lets out a spark every once in a while when I drift. Huh
Not sure what the best thing to do would be, except maybe re-building my diff. But that would be stupid if I am going to have to replace it with an LSD anyway. arg. Angry
11-10-2007, 06:38 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
Ok, but that's a whole different story then. Wink
You can buy LSDs for the SR5 axle, but they are quite scarce. SR5 diffs are 6.3 inch (I thought S class) and afaik only Cusco made LSD for them.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - SR5 to GT-S Conversion]
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
Hmm, good to know! I'm guessing that the diff would be more expensive than a gts rear end though, especially if I can find the latter in a scrap yard.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know where I can get that gts rear end? I have my doubts about getting lucky with one in a yard.
And I still need to know if the 4age and 4ac wiring harnesses are compatible; i.e. if my 4ac harness will work for my 4age upgrade.
11-11-2007, 03:27 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
Sparks from a diff? Would you mind elaborating on that?

GTS diffs? try ebay, club4ag, junkyard..different from country to country.

4AC wiring harness-> its a carby engine, so you'll have a few wires missing. To be exact everything related to EFI, which is a lot. You'll need to find a 4age inc a wiring harness and ECU.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2007, 03:38 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
The sparks.. my friend has been pointing them out to me for a few months now. Every time we go out drifting at night, he mentions that he's seeing a spark pop in my rear end occasionally. After watching a couple of videos my friend took as well as watching someone else drive my car for a bit, I noticed it two times. Both times, I saw one spark just pop at what looked like the pumpkin (not totally sure but thats the only place that makes sense to me) and go out. Didn't seem to affect the car at all, but it was definately there.

Both my friend and I are guessing that the sparking means I need to rebuild/replace my diff soon, and I'm getting the diff whine anyway so I already know thats the case. But yeah, thats the story with the sparking.
11-11-2007, 03:42 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
Could that sparks be the exhaust pipe that catching the floor? thats the most likely cause i can think of?
11-11-2007, 04:29 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
86drift Wrote:Both my friend and I are guessing that the sparking means I need to rebuild/replace my diff soon, and I'm getting the diff whine anyway so I already know thats the case. But yeah, thats the story with the sparking.

While good for a smile, your analysis isn't totally accurate. As mentioned above, the sparks are probably the result of something hitting/scraping the ground. Maybe time to check your exhaust hangers before something lets go. The diff is probably fine for the moment, even inc the whine.

Maybe post up one of your vids. An SR5 drifting, scraping and sparking should be a fun sight to see.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
11-11-2007, 11:00 PM
SR5 to GT-S Conversion
lol, thanks for the schoolage. Respect! I'll have to check that out. I've got a vid up in the homebrew media section, but it doesn't show any sparking and its just a preliminary vid; I just cut some clips together that looked OK, and none of it is very skilled. But I still like it Smile

heres the link to the video thread
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/first-dri...vid/t/5841

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 front end conversion Levin -> Trueno Electronics. gh0st 3 4,700 07-17-2021 11:20 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Sam's AE85 Conversion Sambo 2 13,677 05-20-2014 05:03 AM
Last Post: Sambo
  LHD to RHD conversion Gardo Yeidiem 1 5,078 05-05-2014 07:28 PM
Last Post: Bean
  1986 Corolla SR5 S2k Build.... MIami style geoscranny84 16 21,238 04-26-2012 08:00 PM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair
  1987 sr5 project purplerain11 3 5,873 04-15-2012 03:34 AM
Last Post: purplerain11