S13 coilovers on an 86??
04-21-2007, 09:19 AM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
has anyone ever hard of this?? apparently you use S13 lower control arms and hub setup, S13 coilover and a corolla top hat.... with old school celica rod ends... I saw it on a forum that i think is based overseas any way here is the link http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/...t7089.html
give me some feedback and let me know if you've ever heard of this or seen it done if you have how well does it work?
Find all posts by this user
04-21-2007, 10:32 PM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
I've seen it done, so its possible. The lower controll arm are very similar so its more or less a bolt on affair. Imho a cheap way into coilovers and bigger brakes at the cost of unusually firm springs and dampers.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
04-22-2007, 02:24 AM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
Sorry to everyone who tried the link that diddent work, It was just brought to my attention so i fixed it! give it a try now.
04-22-2007, 02:52 AM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
im doing the conversion on my car... my recomendations when doing it...

use th standard struts from s13s and coner them to coilovers...as s13 coilvoers, are to stiff, dont have enought travel and are really really short stroke.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - S13 coilovers on an 86??]
You should also box up ur control arms with steel plate as they are longer then 86 arms [Image: AEU86 AE86 - S13 coilovers on an 86??]

you should also modify ur castror rod mount so you can use s13 castor rods... the simple reason is the ae86 castor rod gives the wrong angle

oh if this is done right it will fuck all over an 86 setup... oh PS this setup runs best with POSTIVE offset wheels
04-22-2007, 12:33 PM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
Pray tell, why would this "fuck all over" an ae86 coilover setup? The only major difference would be the hub incl brakes.. The only point to an s13 conversion as far as I can tell is that you can get complete coilovers on the cheap (relatively).. and an easy way into bigger brakes. But then you'd need to run fwd offset wheels.. which sucks. Might be nice if you're running a widebody though.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2007, 02:25 PM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
The s13 setup has alot of benefits over the 86 setup...

other then the obvious ones like:-
-bigger brakes, u run can r34 GTR brembos
-stronger hubs
-more lock, longer steering arm...
-shit load cheaper
-more track, due to longer control arm...

ok the more techincal things (this is if you use a standard s13 strut and convert it to a coilover, rather then using off the shelf) the 86 coilovers, have small amounts of travel due to the shortness of the strut, meaning u have to run a stiffer springs to prevent coil binding from occuring.... also the diamter of the shock that can be used is limited due to the size of the strut... which limits what shocks that can be used....to find the right vavling for ur purpose....

now if u use s13 struts, can run longer springs with aarger diameter springs which allows for more travel... u also have alot more shocks to pick from...

now the hub arrangement allows u to run highly positive offset wheels.. this is the key to the setup.. yes positive offset wheels look shit on 86s, but thats not the point... the key to good suspension is getting the weight of the car down onto the surface of the tire... this weight is transfered down the strut to the ball joint... with an 86 setup with 0 offset wheels u will find that the inner edge of the rim sits outside of the ball joint, meaning that the weight of the car is coming down the balljoint... and dude to it sitting out so much the weight of the car is only transfered onto the inner edge of the tyre... therefore not using the whole tyre during cornoring.... also this causes large amounts of bump steer under breaking no matter how large your rcas are..... now if you run an s13 setup u can run say postive 40 offset wheels which brings the tyre directly under the ball joint, meaning the weight of the car goes onto the entire tyre... therefore improving bumpsteer and handling...

do ppl get what im saying??? spelling is abit bad, but i jsut got home from having afew beers

Thumbs up!
04-22-2007, 04:24 PM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
So, very basicly said, if you want to take it really seriously on the track, S13 suspension is a must? [Image: AEU86 AE86 - S13 coilovers on an 86??]

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
Spitfire Wrote:So, very basicly said, if you want to take it really seriously on the track, S13 suspension is a must? [Image: AEU86 AE86 - S13 coilovers on an 86??]

No. In fact not so many AE86 use different front suspension (they prefer to modify stock one).
No one needs more suspension travel (esp. in lowered car), big brakes are not problem (with RX7 calipers conversion, indeed Nissan to Nissan conversion is more simple), steering angle - too. AE86 hubs are not fragile in any way (I heard for cracked hub once).

Quote:also this causes large amounts of bump steer under breaking no matter how large your rcas are..... now if you run an s13 setup u can run say postive 40 offset wheels which brings the tyre directly under the ball joint, meaning the weight of the car goes onto the entire tyre

This CAN be improvement - must check S13 front suspension geometry.
04-22-2007, 11:15 PM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
No. In fact not so many AE86 use different front suspension (they prefer to modify stock one).
No one needs more suspension travel (esp. in lowered car), big brakes are not problem (with RX7 calipers conversion, indeed Nissan to Nissan conversion is more simple), steering angle - too. AE86 hubs are not fragile in any way (I heard for cracked hub once).

sorry i ment the bearings in the hub are alot stronger, they can handle alot more force on a race track.. and yes i had brand new bearings in my 86 and they shit them selfs after 2 or 3 track days...

i disagree with you in regards to suspension travel, 86 stuff is fine on smooth stuff, but alot of the race tracks are very bumpy in Australia and the mountain rds.... also when running softer springs, like 6kg in ur car with an 86 setup, coil binding occurs alot, when short stroke shocks are used....

Quote:also this causes large amounts of bump steer under breaking no matter how large your rcas are..... now if you run an s13 setup u can run say postive 40 offset wheels which brings the tyre directly under the ball joint, meaning the weight of the car goes onto the entire tyre

This CAN be improvement - must check S13 front suspension geometry.[/quote]

yep it works my friend... i have put s13 stuff into lots of suspension programs and on paper(im yet to really prove it on the track) it is a awesome setup...
05-06-2007, 02:16 PM
S13 coilovers on an 86??
are the 180/200sx front control arms the same as the S13's?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carina drivers! - Coilovers for a TA60/62 nyberrg 2 5,512 06-05-2017 10:03 AM
Last Post: nyberrg
  Fitting driftworks CS2 coilovers bozu 2 4,222 05-30-2017 10:50 AM
Last Post: bozu
  D2 Coilovers any good? heshan 18 24,177 04-04-2017 02:40 AM
Last Post: hachirokkos
  Has anyone tried BC Racing coilovers? AlexKTM 9 10,905 09-05-2016 12:28 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  S13 Front conversion help (S14/S15?) 4000GT 6 7,993 11-21-2014 06:55 PM