Cold start problems
09-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Cold start problems
Hey Everyone,

Anyone had this problem before? Engine turns just fine on the starter but engine won't fire in the morning. It takes me about a minute of trying before she'll go. The rest of the day she's fine and starts on the first turns so I expect its got to do with the cold start seeing temparture is dropping but anyone got any other suggestions how to diagnose this problem?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Cold start problems
Mux,

without being sure it must be from the cold start injector. Maybe it is faulty. Check pages FI 71 - 73 & FI 95 of the 4AG manual.

Hope you find the reason and fix your problem. Thumbs up!

Toyota Corolla KE30 + Toyota Corolla AE86
10-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Cold start problems
Dikolotour,

yeah that was my first guess aswell, haven't had a chance to check it out.. this morning I couldn't get it to start at all, rats..

I'm also wondering if it could be my temparature sensor that sends a signal to the cold start injector. My radiator isn't holding pressure at the moment due to a very tiny leak at the top (a new one is coming soon). But I doubt that would be it.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Cold start problems
I probably have a spare cold-start injector.. and I'm sure robokill has a whole bunch of them in his spare manifolds. Just swap it out and see what happens.. shouldnt be too difficult.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Cold start problems
I dont expect it to be difficult, just need time thats allSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Cold start problems
Then make time: think about the time you will save each morning and you promptly make time. >Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Cold start problems]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Cold start problems
Saving time in the morning is easy, I just take the volvo to workSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Cold start problems
Well it turns out it probably has nothing to do with the cold start at all. Just strange timing.

Robokill came down this weekend to help me diagnose the problem, I find it real hard diagnosing engine problems when you're alone and thats not just cause I'm still relatively new at finding out problemsSmile

I was expecting a fuel problem, either the cold start being dead, but the car should still start by adding fuel with the throttle, Robokills first assumption was one that was mentioned to me a few times before aswell, and that was that my fuel pump may have died out on me.

A dying fuel pump could explain a car that does run but wont start if the fuel pressure is enough to keep it idling but not enough to start it. Then again, if this was the case I should have had problems driving the car.

We quickly ruled out the fuel problem by disconnecting a fuel line, we definatelly had fuel and plenty of itBig Grin

So our attention turned out to electrical. First unplugged the lead from the ignitor to the distributor and check if it would spark, no problems there so plugged it back in.
Then did the same with the #1 lead, no spark...

Ah...

Unfortunately we couldn't go any further cause it was dark but it would seam either the distributor or the leads are at fault. Possibly I may still be getting enough spark to start her when fiddling around with the leads, and possibly just to keep her running, but it wasn't giving spark now.

I already ordered new parts but they wont be in until Monday. Today I was tinkering with the car anyways so I decided to take the rotor apart in preparation for the new parts. Taking the cap off parts of the contact points just fell out... hmm....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Cold start problems
Quote:I find it real hard diagnosing engine problems

Welcome to my job... Banging head

Glad to know that you found the problem quickly...

Keeping the AE86 alive!
10-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Cold start problems
Okay,

Got the parts in reaaaal early this morning and a good thing to cause the Volvo is at the garage for MOT.

They ordered the wrong distributer cap for me Sad It would have fit but advanced the timing 45 degrees or something, might be a AE92 or MR2 distributer or something..

So I desided to give it all a try anyway and just replace the rotor and leads and use my old warn out cap. Turns out that did enough of a trick. Its probably the leads that where the problem to start with.

She fired right up!!! Damn I missed driving her!

I'll bring back the cap later this week when I have time and get them to order the right one and replace it then.

But atleast I'm driving again! Yeah!

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warm start problem DJexor 5 1,546 03-09-2023 10:15 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Big wheel problems gh0st 16 6,665 11-15-2021 10:51 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,115 08-31-2021 06:20 PM