Rust repair (fixation) – how to do it right ?
10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I would like you to ask if I should be removing the rust spots on the hachi as there are some and there is just no money to get it repaired soon. I must wait for a year that I can afford it. I started to removing it and now I have hole in front of the rear fender. Also the fender is damaged from the rust in the middle. I was aware of it but I don’t use the car for driving so she is just standing in the garage.
My doubts are in the the spots I am removing. Don’t know if it is wise if the one that will in future repair it will not have problems to get it in original shape.
Also if my actions are right in the correctly rust removing. I usually clean the spots of the all rust then I just use some penetration coating for 24 hours. And then I use basic paint on rust (rust oleum – penetration paint).
Any suggestions I don’t want to make some wrong move that’s why am asking you this maybe someone have the same problem that it cant just get it all welded so soon as i. If I would have some mig welder I would propably try to repair it myself I am not that bad mechanic. But don’t have the right equipment. Confused

Pics of the spots now there is hole Crying
http://fotoalbumy.azet.sk/sansai/on-car-...c8d18a8b24

85' AE86 GT coupe lifetime project since 2005
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
If the car is stored inside I would just do nothing until I could afford fixing it properly...

But then I think removing the rust now would be ok if you really want to do something as long as you coat it afterwards. I'm not sure if that would give you any problems in the future with remaking the original shape. I guess that mostly depends on how large the piece is that you want to cut out...
10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Apart from the big hole in the back, that rear end looks like it's in pretty good condition.. I would just clean off all the rust you can get to, and then treat it with rust-converter and finish it off by painting with anti-rust primer, finish with a layer of regular paint. You can also just throw on some rustoleum or POR15, but in my experience, that stuff is more difficult to get off when you want to weld it. Since the rear tire slings water into the lower hole all the time, you might benefit from masking the hole off with some spash-guard or something, closing the hole temporarily is more likely to accelerate rust since moisture would stay trapped.

BTW, dont worry about the shape of the panel, you have the other side as a reference, and the big hole is hidden behind the bumper so it really doesnt matter much.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2007, 06:24 PM
as i know nothing about antirust preparation. can you tell me something about this rust converter, anti rust primer,.... about their basis or name particular products and how to use it properly.

thanks

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
10-11-2007, 06:51 PM
for those who can read german, this is a very good online shop !!
they have lots of products and very good explanations

http://www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de/
10-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Vielen Dank Thumbs up!

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
10-11-2007, 09:31 PM
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Rust repair (fixation) – ho...it right ?]
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Rust repair (fixation) – ho...it right ?]

Now the one side is looking like this the rust spread behind all around i try to fix it as much as i can dont want to cut more because i dont know if there will be someone that can put it in original shape. The other side of the car is better fender is clean only pocket have taken rust and also the front bottom of the fender is rusty i expect hole there also but smaller.

10-16-2007, 12:29 PM
have anyone pictures of the rusty places from different angels how they look new ? Also rear pockets.
As my fuel pipe is rusty too i will soon take it apart i was wondering becuse i was having rusty fuel tank on m previous hachi too if someone is fixing it too and how. I was thinking that i take it to the zinc bath after i clean it or i use some zinc based paint. On my first hachi the fuel tank was so rusty that i needed to weld it on several places and the fuel pipes gone too. I am afraid i can expect that ob this current coupe too Sad it's time to think forward and make this not happend Undecided

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanted: 3-rib engine repair manual Ivan141 6 1,776 09-09-2022 07:46 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Rear arch repair panels TomRich 4 5,939 08-30-2018 09:19 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Rust in trunk AnthonyStallone 11 12,766 02-18-2015 06:23 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Engine not idling right Jezza_hr 28 20,325 10-01-2013 08:43 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  How to: Repair low fuel warning sender Sanity Clause 2 35,895 11-22-2012 09:21 AM
Last Post: ZaX