Rust in trunk
02-14-2015, 05:15 AM
Rust in trunk
I found this AE86 hatchback with a good motor and mint interior, the only problem is the rust. There's a large patch of rust on the left rear wheel arch, which isn't too much of the problem, the real problem in the rust in the trunk. I'm not sure what the technical term for it but the metal part in the trunk where the spare tire goes. That panel is rusted around the right side severely, and it one place even has a hole. The guy is offering me a good price for it, and I was just wondering how much it would cost me to order that panel online, have the other rusted pieces cut out and the new panel welded in. I'm willing to pay up to $1500 canadian for it. Also if you guys could tell me the technical term for that piece that would be wonderful so I could look online for it. Also if you have any good websites where I can find that part, that would be wonderful.

Thanks Smile
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Rust in trunk
boot trunk/trunk lid panel?
The panel is not for sale anymore,if youre really lucky you might see a new old stock one for sale
02-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Rust in trunk
I saw a nos part on ebay a while ago, went for big bucks. Your best bet would be a panel cut out of a parts car.

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Rust in trunk]
02-14-2015, 10:10 PM
Rust in trunk
got a pic? might be easier to patch it

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2015, 12:12 AM
Rust in trunk
Don't worry about rust in the spare wheel hole, it's structurally insignificant and can be replaced by a flat panel if need be. Worry about rust around the wheel arch because it's often spread into more structural and difficult to fix areas. Also keep an eye on the rear side pockets.. there's usually little left of them if left unchecked.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Rust in trunk
(02-15-2015 12:12 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Don't worry about rust in the spare wheel hole, it's structurally insignificant and can be replaced by a flat panel if need be. Worry about rust around the wheel arch because it's often spread into more structural and difficult to fix areas. Also keep an eye on the rear side pockets.. there's usually little left of them if left unchecked.

Thank you, and how much would the flat panel and fixing the wheel arch be to fix? The rust in the spare wheel hole is fairly large and the arch as well but not the entire thing. I wish I had photos.
02-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Rust in trunk
Spare wheel hole would just be a matter of cutting it out and plugging it with a plate in the correct shape and size.. cant say what it would cost you, I do my own welding, but it shouldnt be expensive.
Wheel arch depends if it is outer or inner arch.. I would be very wary about where the rust has spread.. there's usually more of it where you cant see it directly.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-18-2015, 03:23 AM
Rust in trunk
I have some pictures now. Just so you can see the extent of the rusting.

Part of rear wheel arch

Trunk

Passenger quarter around rear wheel arch

Driver frame rail front

Hood

The rust is pretty bad. I'm prepared to put money into this car so I just want to know just about how much it would be to get all of this repaired.
02-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Rust in trunk
I'll be perfectly honest with you: you're money would be better spent buying a better preserved car.
This I can tell you with the perfect benefit of hindsight. This car needs a full restoration in order to be saved properly, or at the very least a stripdown so the chassis can be fixed and then slap some fibreglass replacement panels on and put a cage in.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Rust in trunk
I have to agree with Ivan.... that car needs alot of work and money!

If you can get it cheap enough, the value of the parts (Engine, transmission and everything) will be just right to not lose money on it...

If not, pass it! There are alot of 86's that are worth buying.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trunk and fuel door cable pack 2 5,753 04-23-2018 11:01 PM
Last Post: pack
  AE community question - trunk + airflow... Okami 7 8,114 03-07-2011 07:44 PM
Last Post: slowboy2
  Rust removal totta Crolla 9 8,567 02-02-2009 10:27 AM
Last Post: S.K.
  water leakage in the trunk RHS ?? Gtsi-R 12 10,874 04-01-2008 07:06 AM
Last Post: F0Bman
  Fixing fenders? Rust protection? Bubble_Drift 2 3,438 01-03-2008 05:58 PM