Running issues
06-19-2022, 10:52 PM
Running issues
I am still having some problems with my 86 that I am struggling to get to the bottom of!

It starts and runs ok, however it seems to be running very rich and when cold is idling around 1100rpm, but when up to temperature it is idling 1500 or more.
It will rev ok with no load. But I took it for a short drive and when you use more than around 25% throttle it is hesitating and misfiring

So far I have installed new earth straps to the chassis and engine, cleaned connections to the ignition coil, checked spark plugs and leads(it has iridium plugs fitted), cleaned sitributor points.
I have tried measuring the resistance of the throttle position sensor and I think that is OK. I have also bridged the diagnostic connector but it seems to display no codes. I have tried to set the ignition timing but I am struggling because even with the pins bridged in the diagnostic port it is still idling too high.

Any help or ideas appreciated, I am running out of ideas!
Find all posts by this user
06-20-2022, 07:54 AM
Running issues
Perhaps try a different ECU.. at this age it would be strange if components started going bad (electrolytic capacitors have a limited lifespan).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-20-2022, 01:54 PM
Running issues
Sounds like a fuel pump is on its way out. First check the hose to the vacuum pressure regulator, and then verify fuel pressure. Should be around 38 psi. Anything below 35psi will cause your hesitation problem.
06-20-2022, 08:20 PM
Running issues
It is not very easy or cheap to pick up spare parts is a lot of the problem, otherwise I would try swapping our various sensors and ecu etc
(06-20-2022 01:54 PM)Dave W Wrote:  Sounds like a fuel pump is on its way out. First check the hose to the vacuum pressure regulator, and then verify fuel pressure. Should be around 38 psi. Anything below 35psi will cause your hesitation problem.
I forgot to mention I have dropped the fuel tank and the inside of tank, pump, sock filter etc all look very good condition.
What is the best way to check fuel pressure?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
06-21-2022, 01:54 PM
Running issues
To verify fuel pressure, use a jumper wire and bridge +B to Fp. Just attach a pressure gauge on the end of any hose connector and dead head into the gauge. [min of 38-40 psi] a new pump was 50+ psi. With my EFI system, I encounter lower fuel pressure the longer I drove and changing the fuel filter did not improve it. A new fuel pump worked like Cool
06-25-2022, 08:39 PM
Running issues
(06-21-2022 01:54 PM)Dave W Wrote:  To verify fuel pressure, use a jumper wire and bridge +B to Fp. Just attach a pressure gauge on the end of any hose connector and dead head into the gauge. [min of 38-40 psi] a new pump was 50+ psi. With my EFI system, I encounter lower fuel pressure the longer I drove and changing the fuel filter did not improve it. A new fuel pump worked like Cool
What is the purpose of the jumper wire for checking pressure? My car is an early model with the 2 pin diagnostic port, so I don't have the labelled pins. But I assume it would work the same

Is what you are saying pump pressure then? I can measure that easy enough off a fuel line like you say.
But not sure how to measure fuel pressure at the rail as it doesn't have a valve/port to connect to.

I will see if I can find a suitable gauge at work to borrow!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
06-26-2022, 01:34 PM
Running issues
The 38 to 40 psi is if you "T" into the fuel line, which regulated fuel pressure. If you dead head you will see the higher fuel pressure. Any pressure gauge will would, even an air pressure gauge, with a 50-60 psi range, and a barb fitting attached to it to fit the hose end.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No idle below 2000 rpm rich running Steller Engineering 3 959 11-30-2022 02:45 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  4age 16v running roughly - diagnostics shows unknown code Ryo 8 5,895 11-09-2020 10:51 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Over heating issues MIGGZFSU 12 10,169 05-11-2017 05:09 PM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  Shortshifter TRD - Issues pack 13 11,298 09-19-2016 10:57 PM
Last Post: jondee86
  20v Starting Issues mad.matt 10 10,652 09-24-2014 12:44 PM
Last Post: pack