Rear axle/diff has gone...
09-04-2012, 02:52 PM
On the latest track day, the rear started to sound more and more whining and grinding.

And on the way home it was sounding like a jet-plane. A terrible grinding noice. The diff was full with oil but what came out was not a pretty sight, a grey thick fluid with metall in it.

So the question is, what do I do now?

Open it up or just buy a new (used?) rear axle? Im not that mechanic to open up and look and fix the bearings and things.

What is the price of a used one in Europe?

Regards
Håkan

AE86 SWEDEN
https://www.facebook.com/ae86sweden
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Open it: it cost nothing to take a look and see what's dead inside Wink
09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Project D Wrote:Open it: it cost nothing to take a look and see what's dead inside Wink

Yes, I have the workshop here at work so no problem with time, lifts and all thinkable tools and if its a bearing or two no problem and finding it, but knowledge... Wink

I tried to open it but I couldn get it off (the plate in front of diff) after disconnecting the propeller shaft.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1986_TO..._4101.html

I losened all the nuts in the diff but it would come of, like something is holding it from inside. Do I have to remove the rear axles first before I can remove the diff?

AE86 SWEDEN
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes you have to remove the halfshafts (drivaxlar) first then the diff house should just come right out. Knowledge isn't a problem if you use the service manual Thumbs up!
09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
krullibull Wrote:Yes you have to remove the halfshafts (drivaxlar) first then the diff house should just come right out. Knowledge isn't a problem if you use the service manual Thumbs up!

Thanks. Smile

The Service Manual (AE86Manual.pdf) doesnt tell me to remove the driveaxles before the diff, what I can see. It only shows a picture of the parts of the diff. ( Page RA-8 ). Wink

EDIT: My bad I see now.
2. REMOVE REAR AXLE SHAFT ( See page RA-3 )
Big Grin

AE86 SWEDEN
09-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Any progress on this?
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I didnt have time this weekend but hope to take it apart this coming weekend.

I hope its not that hard to remove the axels (?) so I can remove the pinion and diff.

I feel (and hope) that it is the bearings (front and/or rear) for the pinion that has broken making the pinion go off line...

AE86 SWEDEN
09-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Skyracer Wrote:I didnt have time this weekend but hope to take it apart this coming weekend.

I hope its not that hard to remove the axels (?) so I can remove the pinion and diff.

I feel (and hope) that it is the bearings (front and/or rear) for the pinion that has broken making the pinion go off line...

Chances are pretty slim for that m8...its usually the r&p that gives up...

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Skyracer Wrote:I didnt have time this weekend but hope to take it apart this coming weekend.

Removing axles isn't so difficult. I did it and was surprised how well it went. :wink: .

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Rear axle/diff has gone...]
09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Unless its the first time in yonks that you take them out, then it can be a bitch of a job. Make sure you have a slide hammer or something improvised that resembles one when you take on this job. If they have been out recently you can often take them out with a few gentle taps of a rubber mallet (or just by hand), but if they are rotted in there it will be much much harder (the bearings are 3+ cm's wide, that's a lot of surface).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 16,895 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 678 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Exhaust has white smoke coming out and I dont know why... mister86 3 3,889 01-19-2020 12:06 AM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 11,456 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,530 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu