Realising my long lived dream - AE86
03-12-2014, 06:09 AM
Update !!
Looks like my car has been posted here a few times in the past. please check http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/p/160617#160617

Hello All.

To first introduce myself, my name is Jens. 21 Years old and from Belgium
It has been a long dream to own a AE86. It all started one day by playing forza 3 I guess. I needed a fast car for class C racing, and the "Toyota Sprinter Trueno" was the fastest of it's class. When i started racing in it I loved the fact that it was so easy to drift with and the massive power you could harness from it.and the lovely sound the exhaust makes. Because of my love for anime i found out Initial D - wich starres a AE86 Sprinter Trueno.
Racing in a Trueno and becoming a fan of initial D just increased my love for the AE86.

When other games came i always chose the AE86 as main car, Then there became i time where i started working on cars. I wanted an AE86 and started looking for one. I saw only 1 for sale and it was to expensive, i believe it was a levin hatchback, selling for 11 000 euros. With that high price class and the fact i still was in school my hope sunk and i quetted looking for one.
Years pass and everytime i saw a AE86 in a game i promised my friends: "One day, one day i will own a Hachi Roku !! even if i need to build it from the ground up".
I remember sitting in the car with my parents when a Levin Coupe passed us by, i yelled so hard "OMFG ITS A LEVIN !!!!! AE86 !!!! and the sound was just lovely
I was 21 years old, i looked up upon 2nd hand sites from belgium and the netherlands. when suddenly i saw it !! An AE86 FOR SALE !!!
it was listed : "Ae86 for parts or fix er up"
My heart raced, "for parts" THIS IS A IDEAL PROJECT CAR !!! and hopefully not expensive. When i mailed the seller i could't wait. The first minutes i stared at my screen without response. "logic duh" I started playing on the xbox with my brother when suddenly "MAIL'
The seller bid his price and me and the seller started chatting .
Days went by and all i did at work was dream about the car. They had 2 GT86 on the roof parking and i stood next to them, saying : haha soon i will own your predecessor (sorry if written wrong)
I went to pick up the car, got a test drift and fell in love with it. I payed the nice man and took the car home. It needs lots of work and love. but thats no problem Smile

First off, MOT. 1 day before i had to let it get checked the starter died on me. problem ? my ghetto ass radio installating draining to much ampere from the wiring so i'd fuck up my starter.

First time mot check had only 2 problems :
1 rust
2 illegal track lowering. (it was so low it scraped alot)

I found the right parts at a friended collector and fitted them, fixed the rust and full of hope i went for a 2nd try.

Critical failure ....

I was citiated for:
-having broken brakes (never had problem)
- bad battery assembly
-bad welding
- illegal interieur
and the list goes on.

my hope sank in my shoes, because in belgium the MOT is a bitch and renting special licence plates for MOT is hella expensive. I also lost my work so its just adding insult to injury.

Last week i kinda got my hopes back up, saying that it's stupid giving up my year long dream of having a AE86.

So, what did i do ? I got myself a batchload of stickers (i'm a sticker freak) and started repainting the car.
It came from a Beater black - yellow to a initial D inspired White with Black details.

I am currently working on it, so pics are not that acurate.

I am hoping to learn alot from a AE86 and to get help and give help whenever i can Smile

Pictures of how i got this beast
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Realising my long lived dream - AE86]

Beauty sitting on the trailer Smile

Now that i added some stickers, put in original springs, and repainted into the color sheme of the Initial D Trueno

Yes the half naked guy leaning on the car is me Wink proud owner !

the paint detailling is still under contruction, I just ran out of masking tape Wink[/url]

Build your dreams.

Ford Puma 1.7 Zetec-s Daily
Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe "Jinxy"- Dreamcar
Mitsubishi sapporo - bosuzoku project
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Welcome my friend!

Dreams are like that.. And having an 86 as a dream car is a way of living....

We want to see pictures of that beauty!

Regards
03-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Welcome,

funny story mine is similar but startet in the 90's with gran Turismo when I was a little boy. Tongue
I was alywas fascinated of the AE86 the "japanese E30".
We want pics of your car dosen't matter if they good or not. :wink:

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
03-12-2014, 04:08 PM
MC_JP Wrote:my hope sank in my shoes, because in belgium the MOT is a bitch and renting special licence plates for MOT is hella expensive. I also lost my work so its just adding insult to injury.
Ha mot sucks big time in Belgium. I have to go in 2 months i think, it's going to be a big pain in the ass like previous years. Angry

Do you have pictures of your car? Maybe open a project thread...

Thumbs up!

ハチロク

03-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Welcome! Wave
+1 on the gaming: my obsession started with first Gran Turismo and later Sega GT.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2014, 09:42 PM
My ae86 obsession started with the black ae86 rally monster Thumbs up!
And belgium ae86 legends on the circuit.

Welcome,another belgium ae86 nice
Thumbs up!
03-13-2014, 05:10 AM
Hi all! Thanks for the warm welcome Big Grin

how can I add pictures? when i used attachedments the file did not work.
Upload trough photobucket maybe? Don't worry, I will post pics soon Wink

Build your dreams.

03-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Welcome new ae86 owner!

Upload pics by uploading to external site first (Photobucket/Flickr/imageshack etc etc)

Then copy the direct link to the picture, for example http://www.blablabla.bla/blablabla.jpeg

Then use the Img button when you write a post, basically you want it to look something like

[img] directlinktopicture.jpeg [/img] (Without spaces between link and insert command).

About lowering, find out what suspension you have, if its just lowering springs I`m sure someone can lend you a set of springs for the MOT.

Rust welding is always the hardest part, you say you`re a mechanic? Get a MIG welder and MIG welding gas + some 1mm plates (Any thinner and they will heat warp), good rust welding= PREP WORK, so use paddle sand grinder plate and get down to bare metal, cut out the rust, use disc grinder to make V-welds possible (For good penetration and sturdy welds), make a good patches, the better your patches the better the outcome, do 30mm spaced tac welds only.

Brakes just buy new ones, Black Diamond are good discs but cheap Brembo works too (But dont get them cross-drilled and shit) cheap Mintex brake pads does the trick nicely,

What`s illegal about the interior?

Bad battery assembly just put some wood on top of the battery, it`ll sit really tight.

Anxious to see some pics and help you out here Smile

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v
03-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Rascal21 Wrote:Welcome new ae86 owner!
Thanks man Smile And thank you all for the warm welcome Wink

Rascal21 Wrote:Upload pics by uploading to external site first (Photobucket/Flickr/imageshack etc etc)
Then copy the direct link to the picture, for example http://www.blablabla.bla/blablabla.jpeg
Then use the Img button when you write a post, basically you want it to look something like
[img] directlinktopicture.jpeg [/img] (Without spaces between link and insert command).

Rascal21 Wrote:About lowering, find out what suspension you have, if its just lowering springs I`m sure someone can lend you a set of springs for the MOT.
The car was solely lowered with springs, So i did replace them with Original parts Wink

Rascal21 Wrote:Rust welding is always the hardest part

Yes, the problem with that was, they did not explain WHAT needed to be welded. They just said "rot". So my friend fixed it up and well... They said "not good enough". So now i got myself 2 iron bars 60x60 (40 wide but with tick walls) to replace the original welding. (the chassis bar around the rear wheels)

Rascal21 Wrote:Brakes just buy new ones
It was the caliper wich was leaking they said, but i have not found the problem, so i think its just a gasked that is gone? I don't really got brake issiues.
Rascal21 Wrote:What`s illegal about the interior?
MOT center A said that my seatbelts were not E checked. (Wich was wrong since they got E clearance)
and the car does not have any interiour (as seen on pics)

--UPDATE--

Added pics to the first post Wink

Bad battery assembly just put some wood on top of the battery, it`ll sit really tight.

Anxious to see some pics and help you out here Smile[/quote]

Build your dreams.

03-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Ah ok, for the door panels just find some wood and cover with carpet, drill some holes, screw it on and done (They cant argue whether it is OEM or not) for cheap Smile

The seatbelts are OEM are they not? have someone at Toyota dealership attest to that with signature, done for free Smile

Also get some floor carpets, do a good job and it`ll look like stock, get suitable floor mats (If needed, some MOT centers like that) from the wreckers, done for cheap Smile

Luckily center console is not needed for MOT, so if they tell you it`s needed then they`re being @@sholes and you need to find another MOT center.

Some brake issues they`ll know only when testing the brakes on the rolling road, this is where they often test front and rear brakes separately (And where issues arise), you need to tell them to get their hands out of their ass and explain WHICH caliper they think is bad, or if its just brake fade, instead of saying "not good enough".

My tip is when they MOT your car, be there, you`ll get a hands-on explanation!

Got pics of the rust-welding done on the car? Could be ugly looking but solid as phek, theres some tips for that too Smile

You`re way better off with this really nice looking car as starting point than I was with mine (Also Levin Coupè), these issues on your car can be solved in very short time and costs are minimum!

I had a engine with failed camshaft bearing housings, bad oil pump.
Rear brake discs distorted, new disc spacers and brake pads needed.
Front brake discs rusty, new pads needed.
Spindles not even from AE86 and still not able to determine what type, different outer tie rods, coilovers from something else (S13/Opel/Volvo, who knows?), gearbox that jumped out of gear and another 20 expensive problems.

Btw as for games with AE86, get rFactor simulator on PC, and a Logitech G25/G27 steering wheel, I`m doing Initial D Akina runs and Gunsai Touge Hot Version-style all the time (With 20v sounds, TRD/Tsuchiya suspension) Smile theres an AE86 N2 mod for it too (With proper sounds, paint etc)

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v