Racecar: TRD USA built ITA AE86
09-21-2017, 11:44 PM
Welcome......

It has been a number of years since I've began a build thread... and essentially this car is fully built, and more or less has been for nearly 30 years!!! So part of this thread will be to reveal some interesting information/history! And part of it will be to enjoy flogging a purpose built racecar Evil

As some of you may know I tend to name my projects, and this is by no means any different. As this will likely be my one and only TRUE race car (carrying an SCCA log book for 90+% of its life), I introduce you to "Racecar".

I'm undecided if I'll refer to it as she/her, or he/him, or maybe just it - that will develop as I own he/she/it

current livery...

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Racecar: TRD USA built ITA AE86]

The livery when built....

I will most likely returning it to her original livery.......... Wink

So, I have a 75mm tall wad of papers I have to sift through, but what I can show you so far....

Racecar has 2 SCCA handbooks, that date back to 1988, this AE86 race car has been raced for many years.....

my plans: well I do have a local(about 6 kilometers away) track - Portland International Raceway...

... and I'm a member of a local car club that has track days a number of times each year. In addition, PIR also participates in Track Night USA.

It will likely get Oregon "SP" license plates - which allows "limited" street use (under 2000 miles a year) - this will allow use @ events (Cars and Coffee, or cruises, or similar)

As some of you MAY remember... my bucket list was to take Surreptitious to the Nordschleife... well, my bucket list cost just doubled Huh

more to come...... Hurray!

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
09-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Again congratulations and enjoy it/she/him Big Grin

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2017, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 09:11 PM by banpei.)
I read about that car some time ago, and then quite recently it was put for sale and JNC covered it:
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/kidney-a...-pedigree/
So you actually bought the car? Wow! Congratulations, it really is a nice deal you got there! Thumbs up!
BTW: It is quite funny that the car featured the JDM bumper in 1991! Huh

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
09-28-2017, 04:19 PM
(09-22-2017 09:10 PM)banpei Wrote:  I read about that car some time ago, and then quite recently it was put for sale and JNC covered it:
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/kidney-a...-pedigree/
So you actually bought the car? Wow! Congratulations, it really is a nice deal you got there! Thumbs up!
BTW: It is quite funny that the car featured the JDM bumper in 1991! Huh

Actually... the story for me begins(don't miss links in my first post).... https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/...860/page1/

After serious thought.... it made sense Smile

She is now temp plated.... I'll be getting the actual plates soon. They will be "SP" plates - SP in Oregon is similar to classic, or vintage plates in other states/areas. I can't drive it to work Confused I can drive it to events, or similar car based fun.

oldeskewltoy Wrote:the only engine pic so far......

Let's have some fun...... in the above photo... how many "different from original" things do you see, or not see??? (for my none USA audience... remember USDM)

I have 6 in mind... but maybe there are more???

more to come...... Hurray!

Dan -

09-28-2017, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2017 09:10 PM by banpei.)
1. Struttowerbar
2. (ARC?) Intake cooling box
3. Windshield wipers
4. Bonnet? Huh
And then I have to give up. Undecided

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
09-29-2017, 09:08 AM
-Strut bar incl. welded mounts
-Intake box
-The coil looks a little unfamiliar (blue sticker)
-Battery & mount
-Camber plates

I'm not in a position to spot any USDM emissions crap that might be removed such as your evap canister and what have you..
For the rest I'm only missing some parts in the picture, but that's hardly a difference.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-29-2017, 12:16 PM
EGR emission thing is indeed missing, we had those here too

AE86 ex-daily
09-29-2017, 12:59 PM
All of the vacuum lines to the top of the TB are removed, and the crankcase vent to the intake is plugged. My guess is that it has an aftermarket coil. What rear axle ratio? Looks like a really fun car !!! Dave W
09-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Also spotted a killswitch.

Looks like a fun little racer. The original livery looks proper oldskool.

ハチロク

09-29-2017, 05:31 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:
oldeskewltoy Wrote:the only engine pic so far......

Let's have some fun...... in the above photo... how many "different from original" things do you see, or not see???

I have 6 in mind... but maybe there are more???

more to come...... Big Grin

1) the "cold air" box - not an ARC box, but a simple box made from insulated thin board - inside it appears to be a K&N FIPK kit

2) the strut bar - the mounts for it are welded to the chassis

3) adjustable upper "hats" - also set a bit further back then OEM, or other adjustable top mounts (more caster??)

4) under the wiper motor - plastic catch can - when I dig into this engine, I'll look to add an intake side oil drain to minimize the need for a catch can

5) light weight batt hold down

6) absence of proportioning valve

The hood, and wipers are also good as well as the missing emissions One person saw the wiring/location for the kill switch - it is hanging out "above" the clutch reservoir.

Unseen: it does have headers, and it is missing a fan of ANY kind!! Yep this is a race car... so the fan was pulled because of power lost to it, and no electric fan was added because the car is typically @ speed when in use.

The car comes with 2 LSD diffs, the one currently in the car is 4.56, the other one is a 5.13.

More to come...... Big Grin

Dan -

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Catching up) OST-086 MM: Built for Mario oldeskewltoy 2 1,840 10-28-2022 08:23 AM
Last Post: decryphe
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 145 152,655 07-02-2022 06:37 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  ae86 Trueno f20c Built to be driven not polished Martynas 45 51,980 05-29-2020 12:59 PM
Last Post: decryphe
  S.K.s AE86 racecar S.K. 207 207,559 09-18-2016 11:39 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Built like an A-10 (Thunderbolt II aka Warthog) assassin10000 32 44,063 03-20-2012 12:33 PM
Last Post: assassin10000