RX7: Bad joke or not?
06-17-2007, 02:13 PM
RX7: Bad joke or not?
The lugnuts must have been to short, no other possibility imho. If you have good lugnuts and you put them on but forget to tighten them, they don't "suddenly" fall off. Your wheel starts to get play, starts to bucket making a whole lot of racket, the luts slowly get more loose but it will mostly take awhile before they vibrate so far that the actually do fall off.

Usually you would have stopped and checked out your car far before it all goes wrong because you're really not happy driving with your car making so much unexplained noise. I had this with my DeLorean once, where sometimes the wheel would get jammed and you think you've fastened all the nuts, but one you drive the wheel unjammes and there is play. I also once forgot to tighten one wheel on the Hachi. Trust me, problems show way before wheels come off.

But with very short lugnuts them vibrating slightly will cause them to fall off quickly before you can tell anything is wrong. Still amazing that so many wheels with so many nuts all fall of roughly at the same time.

That said, a mate of mine once bought a Camaro and they had put aftermarket wheels on and the lugnuts had many 1mm or 2mm to grip. Taking a roundabout eventually they did come loose and he lost one wheel very suddenly recking most of his rear suspension along with it.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user