RWD Corolla - AE86 - what is the reliable price?
03-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Yep. Something I know all about. Big Grin

I do agree with the others: under 2000 you have a car which will need some serious attention. But mine was still a bargain, eventhough I have to invest a lot in the car. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - RWD Corolla - AE86 - what i...ble price?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Jan Pedersen Wrote:I have to disagree! They don't break that often if you maintain it. However they are 20 years old and parts wear out...

Jan, very true, if you take good care of the car, they will last for many years, Toyota knows how to build their cars well.

Still rust will always remain a problem, but the problem is, finding a hachi that has been well taken care of for 20+ years. From all the hachi's I've seen so far IRL only 2 or 3 fall in that catagory. They have been kept in doors, always had their services, and been driven with a certain amount of care.

Most owners however just use their cars without special attention. After 10 or so years they no longer get the full services etc. And slowly the cars ware down.

For instance, remember that if you take your car to a good Toyota dealer every year, your Toyota dealer most likely after 10, 15 or so years will replace all the bushings, they are not ment to be used longer then that. But by this time most owners just bring the car around for a normal service, not wanting to spend the money on that kind of repairs. The result is, 99% of the time when you buy a hachi, they will have 23 year old bushings, even if the car was never used, and has 10km on the odo, those bushings are useless, dried out, old, in need of replacement.

That said though, yes if an owner has taken good care of the car, and give its full services every year for its live, A Hachi will last forever. Toyota in the end, build good cars. But most of the time, you will find that a Hachi has been maintained less then good and you have to play catchup. Also lets not forget most of us like to take our cars out to the track. There is a well known saying out on the nurburgring. On the track, cars ware 6x faster then normal.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Any twenty year old car will cost plenty of money..period..A typical lifecycle for a car is considered to be 15 years..anything older then that and lots and lots of parts are about to break..things like clutch, gearbox, engines themselves, bushings and rubber bits (and there are a lot of them)..

Its just part of the reality of driving such an old car. Does that mean you shouldn't do it? Off course not. But making repairs all the time is part of the experience..if you are not willing or able to do that, then it can become a very costly hobby indeed. If you have a few friends around and a place to work in, then its all pretty manageable and not more expensive then other cars.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
03-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Hmm dunno - i think dYATONA could help me Big Grin - he's from wroclaw to - and there's nothing so fantastic than repairing car and drinking beer - hey new ord - BEEREpairing Big Grin
I'm Economist - usually i drive a Yaris, a can rapiar computers, in hopuse some sinks and waterclosets, i can drill in the walls - but about mechanics I can say I don't have no idea Big Grin

Corolla RWD looking
GG: 559899
GSM: 605310042
Moja Galeria
03-12-2006, 05:47 PM
El_Chueco Wrote:Jan Pedersen
completly? I'm seriuosly intrested in AE86 - but i'm not mechanic at all, so i'm worrying if i can handle it
No, not completely - 20 yo cars needs some care. If you are going to keep the Yaris and just use the 86 for the weekends I'd say that you just need a Hayens manual and some time Smile GO FOR IT :!:

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - RWD Corolla - AE86 - what i...ble price?]
03-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Maybe it's funny but i want to use AE86 as a daily car - ofcourse in quite warm days Big Grin - i'm not against drving a public transport Big Grin

Corolla RWD looking
Moja Galeria
03-12-2006, 08:56 PM
its not one for sale in sell section?
in poland, fully rebuilded und with Prothane bushings?

go for it 2000eu Cool

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
03-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I Don;t thinks so - maybe i'll try to phone him tomorrow

Corolla RWD looking
Moja Galeria
03-12-2006, 09:10 PM
when itis fresh rebuilded is this fair price, check it carefully.
work and parts cost a lot so it wold be reliable.
then you have nice weekend car Thumbs up!

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
03-12-2006, 09:27 PM
You're right SekiguchiUeno. It looks restored and the price tag is ok. But be careful 'cause once you're hooked by hachi you have to forget your former life...everything will change from now on...

be sure you're prepared for that Cool

Philip

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T3 lowers price Wilwood Big brake kit DJexor 3 5,956 09-10-2008 07:29 PM
Last Post: F0Bman
  What price WOULD you pay for these?... momo-gt 13 12,814 07-07-2007 09:52 PM
Last Post: momo-gt
  Front arm - Price Lipinhu 7 5,747 05-28-2007 03:11 PM
Last Post: banpei