Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
06-20-2020, 10:52 PM
I'm still busy with this.. I can say it is a bigger pain in the ass to get right than most youtube instructional vids would have you believe.

First problem was bits of cf cloth not sticking down properly near corners.. probably 2 hours curing time was not the sweet spot for this epoxy
or I should have cleaned the plastic better. The only way to 'fix' this afterwards is to layer on enough epoxy to cover the bulged spots.
Then there is uneven distribution of epoxy... wherever it could run off it ended up very thin and in some places it pooled in a thick layer..
So now I am in for a shitload of sanding to get it presentable. It wont be perfect but I'm thinking a usable result is still achievable.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2020, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2020 09:13 AM by Mylesmck.)
(12-04-2011 01:30 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Inside was sprayed with rust converter to keep rust away untill I'm finished with welding.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]

There you go.. another 10 hours of hard work.. Glad I'm not in the restoration business... I cant imagine having to do this much faster.

Nice work! Mines gone in the same place but opposite (rhd), opened up the front pocket to find rust that'd been played over. Floor panel, outrigger and inner sill repair panels fabricated... Now to make up a patch for the front pocket. Your build is informative and encouraging
Find all posts by this user
09-13-2020, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2020 03:22 PM by Ivan141.)
No progress on the carbon clad spoiler yet, I had to put that on hold due to severe allergic reactions to the epoxy.
Will need to buy a painting suit or something like it to keep the dust off my skin.

BUT: new progress on the shell has started to materialize.

Yesterday it was put it the rotisserie for the final time (hopefully) to get to work doing seam sealing and undercoating.

Am using a 3m polyurethane seam sealer. Application goes as complicated as I can make it.
First I tape around seams:

Apply sealer using an air caulking gun (to spare my hands all the squeezing) and use finger to nudge it into crevisses.

Remove tape before the sealant cures, which allows for clean removal of the tape. It is also fiddly enough that it takes long enough to allow the sealant to cure enough for the final step. Use a pre-paint cleaner to dip a gloved finger and brush this over the sealant to get a cleaner looking finish.
The cleaner stops the sealant from sticking to your finger (if its cured enough).

I was a bit optimistic when buying just 3 tubes of the stuff. Think I will need at least 2 more, maybe 3.
Emptied 1 out on this corner alone, but I was applying way too much to be honest.

When the bottom is sealed up, it is going to be painted with Raptor liner in gunmetal gray metallic, which is also the color I will be using for the engine compartment and interior. The exact color I decided on is Nissan's KH2:

Also need to start thinking of making access holes for a royal application of cavity wax wherever I can get it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-13-2020, 06:03 PM
Impressive work, keep it up!
Find all posts by this user
09-13-2020, 09:56 PM
I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Thumbs up!
If you're using gunmetal grey on the interior/enginebay, what will you be using for the exterior? Back to panda red?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
09-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Panda red it is going to be indeed, although perhaps using a snazzier red than OEM. The metallic grey insides is a nod to D.K.'s AE86 and coincidentally also the ferrari F40.. I like the look.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-27-2020, 06:35 PM
The bottom and engine bay are all sealed up..

Made a start on the inside but a good look around the trunk area put me in the welding mood again.
There are some sketchy repairs there, and also some holes that popped up with the sandblasting, and I dont feel as ambiguous toward them anymore as I did a few months ago..Most of them are areas that I payed to get fixed up before I learnt to weld myself.

For starters: Holes where there should not be any:
This last area I already welded shut.. in hindsight I should have welded a patch in instead of chasing holes with the MIG but this area being as hopeless as it is on most 86's I think I will just chop them off if they ever start to seriously rust again.

And the worst of it:
There are a few minor spots where I can look through which is easily remidied. But that seam looks like it will cause problems in the near future.. I know Bert's work better now, and it is likely really thin metal in there.
The marked area at the bottom just needs wirewheeling since I did not remove the old seam sealer there before blasting and it wasnt cleaned.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-27-2020, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2020 08:44 PM by banpei.)
Those are indeed not the nicest welds I've seen! Huh
It's always a gamble to have someone else weld your car. In my case probably anyone would do a better job than me! Big Grin But I've seen a lot of different quality welds over the past years. The ones performed on my first AE86 by my (back then) neighbor were excellent and they did a really neat job! However the replacement floor panel was not the same pattern, so originality immediately went out of the door...oh wait, it already was a franken-hachi! Big Grin

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
10-04-2020, 10:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2020 10:01 PM by Ivan141.)
No pictures till im done cleaning the welds up but the areas in the previous pics have all been cut out and replaced.
Once everything is cleaned up and I'm satisfied I wont need to weld anything else im going to mix up a batch of epoxy
primer and spray all recent repairs, the inside of the roof (was stripped to make shrinking possible), and a layer over all
the seam sealer I applied.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Work continued this saturday. Came to the shed with the intent to finish up preparations for undercoating, and as is the tradition, ended up doing lots of welding (Step 1: I admit I am powerless over a good session of welding).

Was buttoning up some of the pinholes in the welds at the back, doing lots of grinding around the inside of the trunk (where I never put much effort in earlier). Then I took the wire wheel to some of the old sealant and I got frustrated about the rusty color inside the seam where the rear panel meets the floor. This side was the only part where I still had original floor left (rest has been patched long ago).

So I did what every nutcase does and whipped out the grinder for another go-around.
In this picture you can also see the bottom corner of the right rear light hole has been replaced.. Bert sandwiched some mangy hole-riddled steel between 2 layers of patches that were just overlapped over it.

Shit shot, but you can see the rear edge of the floor also got the chop.

Some hours later did my best to make decent patch panels.

Left it after the outside was linished back since it was already 20:15 and the drive home from the shed is about an hour.

Here's a crappy pic of the metal I took out (some of it):

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 11,973 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815