Power steering?
02-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Power steering?
Hi,

I have a couple of questions.
Was the AE86 GT-Apex models supposed to come with power steering as standard. Might be buying one, but apparently it doesn't have power steering.

Is the car better with or without power steering. opinions please.

Is it possible to add power steering to a non power steering car?

Thanks for your time Smile
Find all posts by this user
02-08-2005, 03:19 AM
Power steering?
mykkk,

Power steering was an option as far as I know.

Its a fairly light car and power steering really isn't needed. I dont miss it at all. I actually like cars without power steering but the opinions are very varied. People who are for power steering like how effortless and quick you can steer. People who do not want it usually do so because you can steer more precise and especially the older power steering units tent to be vague and do not communicate well.

Best is to try a hachi with and without and make up your mind.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
02-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Power steering?
When I did my motor swap I left it off. I have been converting people who are pro PS one ride at a time. Some much more feel.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Power steering?]
http://www.hachiroku.net
02-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Power steering?
It totally depends on the PS system. Some PS systems are actually better than manual racks. What I noticed on the 86 is that at low speeds you really have to force the wheel to turn. On moderate speeds the resistance is about right, but when you get on the highway the steering is WAY to light! PS might be better since it has more resistance so you actually get a better feel on the higher speeds. But this depend on the PS system. I've never driven one on the 86 so I can't say if PS is better for the 86.

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
02-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Power steering?
I think it really depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you plan on doing your shopping, going to work and touring, go for PS. If you want performance and feel, leave it out. Of course, the AE86 rack is too long from lock to lock, so you will benefit in a drift session, but you improve your skills less. Like a friend of mine who drifts a BMW. He drifts with the left hand on the wheel and the right hand on the gear lever. But put him in a non-PS hachi and he can't cope.
02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Power steering?
Aico Wrote:It totally depends on the PS system. Some PS systems are actually better than manual racks. What I noticed on the 86 is that at low speeds you really have to force the wheel to turn. On moderate speeds the resistance is about right, but when you get on the highway the steering is WAY to light! PS might be better since it has more resistance so you actually get a better feel on the higher speeds. But this depend on the PS system. I've never driven one on the 86 so I can't say if PS is better for the 86.
I Agree some cars are quite good with PS and some arent! I drove a 1997 Mondeo some time ago which where rubbish IMO which goes for a lot of cars... A Fiesta ST on the other hand feels quite good - I drove one yesteday Smile

When it comes to the 86 I really dont think PS is necessary, but I havent tried one with PS... Aico, even though the steering is light at high speeds it still seems very precise and you know what the wheels are doing out front.

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Power steering?
In my 205/50/15'' tires with no PS,
parking is real trouble.
I also agree with Aico, high speeds and driving fast is different from drifting, steering wheel is too light for my taste.
That's one common of the AE with other Toyotas. Damn Japanese...

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Power steering?] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Power steering?
so is it possible/hard to install a power steering pump into a car that does not have it?
02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Power steering?
mykkk,

It depends a bit on what you means are and I am not sure how different the powersteering rack of the hachi is, you will most likely need to get one of those somewhere.

In theory it should not be hard, you may need to fabricate a strong bracket on which to mount he power steering pump and find a way to put a belt on it. Then you need to replace the manual steering rack with the powersteering one and attach the hooses up to the pump. Fill her with flued and you are ready go.

but thats all theory, I have never done this on a hachi. I only know of this swaps on RX7s where people go from power to manual. It usually is pretty easy for cars that had power steering as an option if you can find the powersteering parts. Its not like a manufacturer is going to design a totally different car just so they can fit in powersteering. They usually design it so that there is only small differences between the two.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Power steering?
Think also about weight reduction, power steering pump is quite heavy item Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power steering clunk Jezza_hr 12 13,590 09-24-2021 01:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal juantonwan 26 40,253 10-02-2014 06:07 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  AE86 non-power steering problem andee17 3 6,612 07-25-2013 06:41 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Power steering question totta Crolla 3 4,202 02-19-2013 01:52 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Play in power steering rack help phill 92 5 5,801 10-25-2012 12:01 PM
Last Post: allencr