Popular phrases explained
10-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I encounter different words and phrases regarding the AE86 when shopping for parts on ebay and club4ag. [u:5bc15abec0]Some [/u:5bc15abec0]of the below mentioned are unclear to me, as i am sure they are to many others.
If you know the meaning, please respond, or if you know other words, please post them here for future reference.
Please note that i personnally know most, but I thought that others might enjoy having them explained.

JDM
INITIAL D
OEM
ITB
ESPELIR
D1
MEGA SQUIRTERS
LSD
BIG PORT
SMALL PORT
BLUE TOP
RED TOP
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2004, 08:47 PM
JDM = Original Japanese parts, dunno the exact words, but they are parts that where sold in japan.

LSD - Limited Slip Differential

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Popular phrases explained]
10-10-2004, 09:06 PM
I've always wondered what the D in Initial D stands for. Drift?Smile

I'm not very good at these short things, I know what most mean but I have no idea what the letters are forSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-10-2004, 09:24 PM
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market, meaning as described above

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturing, which means it's an original part, or from one of Toyota's official suppliers (NipponDenso for example)

D1 = Japanese variation on F1, with the D1 for drifting

Why motorsports? Because other sports require only one ball!
10-10-2004, 10:54 PM
ITB= Individual throttle bodies, like the intake of the 20v 4age.
ESPELIR= not an abbreviation, it's a spring manufacturer
MEGA SQUIRTERS = megasquirt, a diy engine management

The whole red top/blue top bigport/smallport story has been explained in great detail on club4ag amongst others.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Red top

last 4age 16V build 1987 upto the end of 1991.

Its a 7 ribs stronger lower block

it has a Small port head with difrent mount spots. and an oval instead of cirkel intake. max hp ????

Blue top

first 4age 16v build from 1983-1987

Big port these are round cirkels its an older model 3 ribs lower block with max power around 200-220 if exceeding the block could break.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
10-11-2004, 09:40 AM
JDM = Japanese Drift Monkeys (acording to Nomuken Smile ), joke it's japanese domestic market

InitialD - Initial D is a car racing story, it has comics, TV series and video games for playstation. Initial D is one of the best TV series around lately. One you really don't want to miss!

They use 2D & 3D CG (Computer Graphic) animation for the racing cars and there are lots of Super EuroBeat musics.
The main character Fujiwara Takumi is 18 years old, who has superior driving skills. His car a "Toyota AE86" is a Tofu delivery car he uses to deliver tofu to the other side of the town for his dad. In Japan at that time, that car was considered as a no horsepower garbage, but with his excellent and CRAZY drfting skills. Takumi has won every challengers he had faced at his hometown "AKINA mountain."

Initial-D is available in 18 VCD Pack, with the full series (First Stage 26 Episodes / Second Stage 13 Episodes / Extra Stage "Special Episode" / Third Stage "The Movie" / Battle Stage)
-> http://www.tuningpt.com/initiald.htm

LSD - limited slip differential, ae86 uses mehanical, also there are Viscous LSD fited on most S13, torsen (TORque SENsing) on RX-8 for instance
-> http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm

mega squirters - MegaSquirt Electronic Fuel Injection Computer By Bowling & Grippo -> http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

x port -> http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.brad...%20RWD.htm

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE block differences explained (incl. some eyecandy) Bean 46 81,822 05-05-2019 04:03 AM
Last Post: Rocker100