Parents...
01-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Parents...
I don't know how my parents manage to do this...

Last christmas I picked up my car from my parents place drove it up and down to Denmark and used as a daily driver for two weeks around The Hague... 2000km and 3 weeks later I bring it back to my parents place where it get's MOT approval in one go... Such a great car!

Now my dad calls says he wanted to use it for the first time in two weeks and it doesn't start Angry From what I hear I think there's no spark...

My mother tried to use it last week but didn't get it going for some reason (probably because she doesn't know what to do with the auto tranny selector)... Then when she gave up she couldn't get the keys out because she's not used to the lock button on the side and she left it over night with the keys in... From what my father tells me it might have been with the ignition switched ON because he says the battery was flat...

I'm sort of afraid that action fried the ignition coil...
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Parents...
My mother also said she wanted to borrow my car once.. no no no no, no go mommy, i rather gave her a ride than let her drive. I had my worst tyres on at that time, they were 8 years old! imagine what that does on a wet/dirty road. She'd spin out the first corner.. i had to countersteer almost every corner to correct the direction and i drove VERY slow. exciting if nothing more, but my mother was terified, now she no longer wants to drive my car .. Thumbs up!
01-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Parents...
My mother always screams when she's driving with me in hachi. Dumb question
But when she is in my car I drive normally. I don't understand...

Vladimir
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Parents...]

N/A for life...
01-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Parents...
hachi makes it fun for the driver and scary for the passangers Big Grin
01-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Parents...
that is true. yesterday I drove my friend for a first time, and he was shit scared, but I had everything under control + big smile on my face

Vladimir

N/A for life...
01-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Parents...
Did your father put it in park before starting the car? DeLorean would never start if it wasn't in park (some sort of idiot proof protection in case you started it in Drive).
I know there are even versions you have to keep the brake paddle pressed Big Grin

Maybe the battery just died?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Parents...
@Mux: That's just what I told my father when he told me it wouldn't start: Put it in park... All automatic transmission cars have that feature.

However, my father did know that. The battery had not died but had gone nearly flat (probably because mum left the keys in) so he recharged it.

After recharching the battery the engine still wouldn't fire. It think it's either the ignition coil is fried because the ignition was switched on for a night or the distributor cap has moisture in it or had moisture in it and has now cracked because of the slight frost we have had.

My fathers gonna take the distributor cap of next week to see if it's ok. It's not really a problem if he can't find the flaw because they don't really need the car, my father just wanted to use it to prevent it from standing still to long. I'll just have to fix it once I get there...
02-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Parents...
Nearly one month later... Today I went home. I came home after dark but decided to try and get the car started anyway.

I actually got the car started within 5 minutes without doing anything besides pushing the throttle and turning the ignition key...

The only reason it didn't start when my father tried to start it (it was freezing then) and why it started a bit difficult now is that one of the vacuum hoses for the cold start compensation system had a leak...

It actually was the only hose I didn't replace last summer (they where all pretty dried out) because I forgot to order it from Toyota. So nothing serious :-)
02-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Parents...
vladx_kc Wrote:My mother always screams when she's driving with me in hachi. Dumb question

LOL sounds familiar! Smile

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe
02-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Parents...
DJexor Wrote:
vladx_kc Wrote:My mother always screams when she's driving with me in hachi. Dumb question

LOL sounds familiar! Smile

I think I have the opposite problem...

My father just tested the new tires.... Basically he noticed what happens if the automatic transmission kicks back to second gear when you push full throttle at the second half of a wet roundabout Tongue I think I should be happy I don't own a Hachi Smile