Old Fashioned
01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Old Fashioned
I know it's stock Smile
Same could not be said of the VIN number plate.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Old Fashioned
yes my engine looks egg-zactly like this one! so what is this than? A blue-top, 3rib, map, small-port, t-vis? how much powwah does it make?
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Old Fashioned
Mostly correct, but the TVIS engine is the large port engine. It makes 124bhp according to Toyota at the time. I dynoed a car a few years ago, come out as 124bhp once losses were taken into account, but only something like 110bhp at the rear wheels

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Old Fashioned]
01-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Old Fashioned
bigport? how do i know the difference? can i see it? can somebody post some pics?
01-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Old Fashioned
You can only tell for shure once the intake manifold is off. A functioning TVIS manifold has no purpose on the smallport, but there could be a big-smallport adaptor in place which would be hard to notice from a picture.
01-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Old Fashioned
Apolan you would prolly have a Standard 87-90 4age tvis model and then they would have the tvis from the AE86 with it to make the line with the airbox.

AFM is airflow meter this is a big ugly bastard which is in front of the air filter.

MAP is a small box see pic below.. its on the wireloom

[img]DSCF0027.jpg[/img]

The red circle is the MAP sensor. Don't be blind on the power output remember that non rebuild engines are 20 years old meaning everything is less than factory if you have between 95-105pk on the wheels than your good.

Rebuild the car you got the best project if rust is already away you have the fun stuff to do wish i had same oppertunity.

Have fun with it and start building bitch :-)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
01-27-2005, 01:55 AM
Old Fashioned
Trust me, you dont want to be where i am with my 86. I have it but i cant drive it coz its still in parts, and i still dont have a propper place, where i could build her. its nerve wrecking!

therez another thing about the engine... it has not been running since 5 years ago! the previous owner said that he wrench-turned the engine and it was easy to turn, and all looked ok. but still! 5 years not running and only some little oil is in.. i took a little look under the cam cover, smells alright =) no burnt stuff; but the water/coolant pipe was a bit mudy in the beggining of pipe (the little adapter where you connect the water hose to). is that baD?

so how do i handle the engine and transmison now? do i break it in slowly with mineral based oil, or what?
01-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Old Fashioned
My engine was not running for 2 years, and at the first time, I put in it a good batery, and rev for some times without spark plugs ( first change oil - mineral, better for first time and don't forget to drain oil from the oil radiator as well ) Change timing belt, and tensioner also. When you reving, chek oil pressure. Than put in spark plugs, and try to run. Chek at gasoline filter do you have petrol.
When you engine run, don't push gas pedal, let it run slowely to get working temperature. Turn it off and leave to calm down.
Do this for several times, yust run her, and leve it to work at place.
Change oil in gearbox, 2 litres, and in LSD, about 1.5-1.8 litres.
Don't mix bolts on gearbox and LSD.
When you go for first ride, don't push it, just a easy ride.
Also change distributor cap, and distributor.

1984 AE 86 Levin hatchback
1989 AE 92 GTi
2004 Kawasaki KLE 500

CROATIA - small country for great drift
01-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Old Fashioned
My engine did not run for about 1.5 years when I put it in, I only put fresh seals in, and a new timing belt. I suggest checking if the waterpump turns smoothly, if it doesnt, replace it.
Anyway, I had it put in with fresh oil and just drove the thing. You'll be flushing rust out of the coolant for a while, but other than that I've had no problems. Keep an eye on the oil pressure when running the engine at idle.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Old Fashioned
Man you got yourself a biiig challenge there.... I took my car apart 4 years ago and I have sometimes a very hard time to find out what parts ( and especially bolts) go where, now here you didnt even take it apart yourself... !! good luck with your puzzle...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  danish renovation, from rusty old banger, to nice drift car katapouser 16 15,508 12-23-2008 10:41 PM
Last Post: katapouser
  Cp joels old school drifter (56k warning) cp joel 77 57,962 09-17-2005 01:21 PM
Last Post: James
  Jons New [Old Project] JonT 75 53,185 08-08-2005 04:26 PM
Last Post: Blueneon