Oil cooler kit
05-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Oil cooler kit
Hi all,
I would like to buy an oil cooler kit but I don't know what to buy.
Could someone give me advices.
Some brands or eBay sellers or anything else please.
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
05-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Oil cooler kit
I would't advice you to buy a "kit", unless it is a branded kit like a HKS, Greddy or something like that....

My advice, in my opinion of course is for you to build one.....

Get an oil sandwich, some fittings buy an oil cooler and get it done!

You have from demon tweeks the MOCAL sandwich plates (that you can adapt to fit a sensor for oil temperature as i did... Smile They are pretty cheap actually...

Get an oil cooler from ebay (random brand should do the job)

Get some fittings (decent ones to avoid oil leakage)

And you're done!
05-25-2016, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 01:49 PM by d3nso.)
Oil cooler kit
My expirience with oil cooler setups is you don't need a kit from a known company. The cheapest stuff bought off eBay does the job. Been running selfmade setups with eBay parts for years without any problems Smile

At the end the stuff comes out of the same chinese factory as the expensive ones but without the branding.

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
05-25-2016, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 04:43 PM by Bean.)
Oil cooler kit
I personally like the relocation versions. Easier to change the filter and you can als move it away from the hot header.

PS: I agree, ebay stuff is fine, just make sure to seal it properly

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2016, 11:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2016 12:04 AM by izanagi.)
Oil cooler kit
(05-25-2016 11:23 AM)pack Wrote:  I would't advice you to buy a "kit", unless it is a branded kit like a HKS, Greddy or something like that....

My advice, in my opinion of course is for you to build one.....

Get an oil sandwich, some fittings buy an oil cooler and get it done!

You have from demon tweeks the MOCAL sandwich plates (that you can adapt to fit a sensor for oil temperature as i did... Smile They are pretty cheap actually...

Get an oil cooler from ebay (random brand should do the job)

Get some fittings (decent ones to avoid oil leakage)

And you're done!
I saw the Mocal. Good price.
Can I buy the one with temp sensor and fit a sensor later or the hole is open and I need absolutely buy and fit the sensor to close the hole ?
Thanks

(05-25-2016 04:41 PM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  I personally like the relocation versions. Easier to change the filter and you can als move it away from the hot header.

PS: I agree, ebay stuff is fine, just make sure to seal it properly
I heard that relocate the filter could starving my engine and loosing the pressure oil when I'm drifting.
It could damage my engine.
05-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Oil cooler kit
Worth looking at the Setrab oil coolers I think.
One of my mates, although he has an 3.2l L6 M3 for drifting, has blown 2 new Mocal Oil coolers recently.

If you buy a random eBay sandwich plate, check the mating surfaces for flatness before you fit and give the O Rings a good soak in Power Steering fluid beforehand.
Most sandwich plates have take-offs for Oil Pressure/Temp Gauges too.
05-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Oil cooler kit
Never headed of starving the engine of oil due to a filter relocation kit, unless fitted in a really retarded way.

AE86 ex-daily
09-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Oil cooler kit
I bought an "ebay-kit" kit three years ago and very fast one of the braided hoses started to swallow and leak. I had them replaced with custom made industrial grade hoses - all good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mocal oil cooler & sandwitch plate ordered Gtsi-R 48 51,121 11-18-2022 02:19 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Oil cooler totta Crolla 0 1,344 07-25-2021 03:25 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Permanent oil cooler vs thermostat Lt86 19 19,119 03-28-2015 06:54 PM
Last Post: Lt86
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,891 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  oil cooler? nikos_trd 6 7,816 10-27-2013 08:30 AM
Last Post: Apsogos