Oil Pressure Query
12-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Oil Pressure Query
I wonder if you can shed any light on this potential issue…

My engine is from a corolla originally putting out 115hp, even though I was told it was the same engine from the MR2, this is not the case. The sump on the engine obviously doesn't come with the MR2 factory oil cooler outlet on it either.

I then rebuilt the engine, with bigger OEM pistons, changed the sump to an MR2 sump, so it’s got the outlet for the oil cooler pipes and installed the rest of the oil cooler recirculation components.

When the car was running before, I had no oil pressure issues and the gauge read correct when it was securely fastened to the sensor.

Since it’s been rebuilt, running but before the cambelt snapped, I had low oil pressure when the car was hot. There was a knocking noise, but I have since identified this as the cause to my cambelt issue (don’t ask!).

What I'm asking is, can the addition of the oil cooler, reduce the oil pressure?
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Oil Pressure Query
I hate the original oil cooler of the 4ages. Its working like the oil comes from the pump, then it goes to the sandwich plate under the oil filter, this sandwich plate has a pressure relief valve, which opens over a pre-set pressure (I think around 4bar) and the oil goes thru the oil cooler to the oil pan.
If your oil pressure valve in the sandwich panel stuck then you could have oil pressure problems (its not used to happen btw.)

I like the motorsport type of oil coolers, where the oil goes thru the cooler and the cool oil goes to your bearings/etc. also its a waste of the oil which goes to the pan instead of the bearings.

On my street car I rather don't use any oilcooler until I buy a thermostatic motorsport one.
12-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Oil Pressure Query
I'll have a look at the pressure valve on oil pump and sandwich plate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 19,386 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  trans oil, lsd oil change Apolan 9 15,805 10-01-2014 03:57 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Pressure gathering in fuel tank Apolan 9 13,743 05-18-2014 06:18 AM
Last Post: chenfon
  oil pressure high kawo 17 18,775 09-29-2013 12:06 PM
Last Post: allencr
  1/8 BSPT adapter for oil pressure sensor Dino86 4 6,555 06-15-2013 12:34 PM
Last Post: S.K.