Objective, 200hp with 4age.
12-17-2011, 05:04 PM
bakonick Wrote:speakin about rpm and etc
engines can go up in rpm bat to have power so hi up you need cams over 300 .
cams below 300 like the 288 i consider them for daily drive .
when you speak for race motor we always put cams more then 300.

Thank you for informations Wink
Find all posts by this user
12-17-2011, 09:48 PM
In my humble opinion stay at 288 especially if you intend to rally but go higher in lift - towards 12mm or more. This will require customs pistons and the head reworked (aside from porting, around the lifter pockets too) to go with it but worth it. If I remember correct my friend who does hill climbs is a little over 200hp (flywheel) and has ~13mm of lift.

PS: now I understand why you were interested in my head Wink
I personally have two places for you that I can recommend, Roth Racing in Switzerland (he speaks french too, but rather on the expensive side) or Loyning (one way shipping to Europe is just ~150 US$)

Addition: now that I know what you are aiming for I'd guess my head would have been a bit shy on your goal as additional work would have been needed. If you are not restricted to 200hp go for a bit more ~230 as this will be at no extra cost. I will ask my friend to see if he can give me a ballpark figure how much money is needed (Roth Racing engine). Also a tear down between seasons I think is necessary even if the engine is not in need of a rebuild, as the last thing you want is entering the next season just to have your engine fail on you after a few races and cause major damage due to a minimal issue that could have been resolved easily in between seasons.

Feel free to contact me via E-Mail as I can certainly point you in the right direction due to my friends racing those engines for many years now. Rallying our cars you will face many other issues so it'll be nice to have one less with a proper 'reliable' (in a race environment) engine.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Bean Bandit Wrote:In my humble opinion stay at 288 especially if you intend to rally but go higher in lift - towards 12mm or more. This will require customs pistons and the head reworked (aside from porting, around the lifter pockets too) to go with it but worth it. If I remember correct my friend who does hill climbs is a little over 200hp (flywheel) and has ~13mm of lift.

PS: now I understand why you were interested in my head Wink
I personally have two places for you that I can recommend, Roth Racing in Switzerland (he speaks french too, but rather on the expensive side) or Loyning (one way shipping to Europe is just ~150 US$)

Addition: now that I know what you are aiming for I'd guess my head would have been a bit shy on your goal as additional work would have been needed. If you are not restricted to 200hp go for a bit more ~230 as this will be at no extra cost. I will ask my friend to see if he can give me a ballpark figure how much money is needed (Roth Racing engine). Also a tear down between seasons I think is necessary even if the engine is not in need of a rebuild, as the last thing you want is entering the next season just to have your engine fail on you after a few races and cause major damage due to a minimal issue that could have been resolved easily in between seasons.

Feel free to contact me via E-Mail as I can certainly point you in the right direction due to my friends racing those engines for many years now. Rallying our cars you will face many other issues so it'll be nice to have one less with a proper 'reliable' (in a race environment) engine.

With pleasure, thank you.
I waits for the time which it is necessary.
01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Go for turbo option. I guess its away cheaper!
01-11-2012, 01:39 AM
This "set up" does not really interest me
01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
roiz86 Wrote:This "set up" does not really interest me

N/A all the way, keeping the AE86 spirit as it should be Smile

Just to add recommendation too:

7rib block with squirters
ported bigport
40mm crank ballanced, shotpeend etc...
oil pump with raised pressure
bigger sump or drysump if cash allows
+EM 40/20 rod and custome pistons ~1200$
Catcams 7105150 ~600$
shim under bucket or solid lifters ~250$
Supertech valvetrainkit ~800$
Standalone ~400$
Injectors, ignition, fuelpump, etc... ~500$
Mapping ~600$
Custom intake manifold or ITBs ~ 500$

All in all about 6-8k depending how much you can do yourself and deals you can find.

This should give you somewhere around 200hp +/- depending on CR
Also with the bigport and reasonably high CR pistons you could still go for wilder cams and even more lift if necessary in the future and pish it to 200+whp

Mind you at those levels the whole drivetrain should be uprated as well

This whole thing for me is also the reason why I aimed sub 200 in the end for the 4age and hope to go for a full Beams (with light tune and 6-speed) eventually to go beyond 200.
But only time will tell as I don't know where I will live after my current assignment and if the car will be legal at all in the next country.

AE86 ex-daily
01-13-2012, 07:35 PM
How much does the small port head float???
01-13-2012, 08:44 PM
According to Loynings ~200 +/- 20 (depending on porting and valves) is about the limit of a smallport. Don't forget that cams and CR also play a big roll in final figures. In my humble opinion I'd set the limit for a smallport at around 190fwhp assuming a setup with a usefull power range and without silly rev limit.
Jeff from Orionengineeredmotorwerks did a lot of flowbenching and analyzing. Most of he's research can be found on their webpage.

AE86 ex-daily
01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
let the 4AGE for what it is: a good and nice revving engine with killer sound in stock form, same for the 16V and 20V versions.
200HP from a 9000 RPM screaming car would be fun and if not on a budget i would say "go for it!"
remember: 100HP per liter is much, 125HP per liter is scary when looking at reliability. a very expensive engine.

if you want a reliable naturally aspirated engine, ~240HP, 9000 RPM there is only one option for the AE86: put a F20C in it.

in my opinion of course.

and the best sound can be found in my signature... Tongue

53.6 Tsukuba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd-AnG3LYUg
try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IiUAtoNBk
01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
IBMFD3S is right , if you want something "reliable " you can always turbo a silvertop 20 valve. it will give you around 220 hp with 11psi.

a 9k 4age with 220 is something for a specific purpose and not a car commuter, track beast.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Objective, 200hp with 4age.]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DIV 1 rally/track 4AGE(objective +- 130 whp) ditn 39 34,954 01-03-2012 09:07 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Discussion: blacktop 20v: the road beyond 200HP 86er 19 20,785 02-21-2007 07:06 AM
Last Post: BenR
  Discussion: blacktop 20v: the road beyond 200HP 86er 1 6,368 01-17-2007 06:25 PM
Last Post: 86er