OST-050 - a VERY special build
10-05-2018, 09:40 PM
The assembled short block is back in my hands.....

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-050 - a VERY special build]

isn't it pretty..... with 10.0:1 piston fitted, and a fresh deck Wink

but "pretty" needs to go to the CORE....... (upper view = 1 & 4 @ TDC, lower view = 2 & 3 @ TDC) a fully balanced bottom end... not only pretty, but BETTER then OEM Exclamation

Can you find any(all?) of the new balancing??

and to go along with a balanced rotating assembly... more balance.... from the new OEM pulley to a new Toyota pressure plate, and yes even a Toda flywheel needed a tiny bit of balancing... Huh

more to come....... Hurray!

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
10-11-2018, 08:55 PM
from another forum Wrote:I see 1-3 rod caps have been shaved a bit, and the 1 & 4 thinner counterweights have new holes. Everything is so clean, it's hard to tell which of the larger counterweights has new balancing.

Is that an optical illusion, or are those domes coated? I guess it's the rougher surface not reflecting the light like the outer edges of the pistons.

Nothing nicer than seeing a newly-balanced rotating assembly Exclamation

the main counter weights also got a few small weight/mass adjustments.... domes are not coated... just a lighting thing.

Moving on to more restoration work...

What color are the OEM cam covers......??? Silver, or something else???

more to come.... Big Grin

Dan -

10-17-2018, 06:35 PM
from another forum Wrote:I've always thought of the valve covers being a sort of champagne silver. A slight gold tone to the silver. At least based on the few OEM painted VCs I have.

Facepalm I'm not rolling my eyes at you... but the journey to get these right/correct.... that I FINALLY can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It begins over a month ago... I've spent more time on researching, and chatting with powder-coaters in this time then I did ACTUALLY working the head! It began while searching for the factory color... I found NOTHING, I spoke to a few knowledgeable people - including those who advised me about the block, and no one could offer me help... so I began the journey... if I knew more about coatings - paint /powder/epoxies this would have been less dramatic, but I know flow, and engines, not so much coatings.

Having nothing to go on, I did a Google search, and found many pretty renditions of the 4AG cam covers, but very few ACCURATE color matches. With the poor search results, I turned to looking at powder coat swatches online (color is tough to get right... the internet doesn't help here Crying ) I looked through Prismatic swatches and found "Satin Titanium"

But... as good as it looks online... it didn't look good comparing it to the cam cover

I figured I needed them painted, and so began looking at spray paints. I began looking for silver titanium paints, and I found.....

That was a bit darker and a bit too silver, and a bit too shiny - I wish actual colors were required on the can - that would make matching a color easier then guessing if the cap was a good representation of the color.

Next I found "Satin Nickel".....

THAT color is pretty close.....

and "shifted" to a bit more silver...

BUT........... commercially available spray paints are NOT durable Crying Evil They scratch easily and if they were sprayed with Brake Clean or similar chemical.... the paint lifts immediately Evil

about 4 weeks have now passed, and frustration is building, I go back to Prismatic and with your thoughts, "A slight gold tone to the silver", I begin to look at gold/silver mixes...... Smile

Things are looking up so I contact another powder coater and go to his shop... and although he says he has every swatch (he doesn't)... so of course all 3 of these colors are not in his wad of swatches Crying I could order the swatches.... but then I ask him a question... (if you look real close at the covers, they have a texture to them) and I ask him if the powder would remove the texture, and he says, "yes" - NOT good.....

another big BUT... the powder coater knows a painter, and he uses automotive grade paints (not removed with Brake, or Carb cleaners), and not only that he works with a paint supplier who has color matching capability... Angel

I left it with them... they should be done in a week-10 days.....

I HOPE!!!!

more to come...... Hurray!

Dan -

10-17-2018, 09:18 PM
Best of luck Dan, getting paint codes was and always will be a headache. Hope it turns out well so you can cross it off the list and store the details for it in your knowledge base for the future.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2018, 01:37 AM
(10-17-2018 09:18 PM)Bean Wrote:  Best of luck Dan, getting paint codes was and always will be a headache. Hope it turns out well so you can cross it off the list and store the details for it in your knowledge base for the future.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

we shall see..........

from another forum Wrote:Hi Guys, I use oem code 147 silver metalic or 148 would do the trick if you like it painted. i use 147 and work great on my coupe valve covers. they turn to a gold ish silver color with the engine heat after a couple of drives but still looks good. and hard to tell the difference.
i used automotive grade paint and clear cote, not spray paint cans.

see below.... but I may contact you if...............

oldeskewltoy Wrote:another big BUT... the powder coater knows a painter, and he uses automotive grade paints (not removed with Brake, or Carb cleaners), and not only that he works with a paint supplier who has color matching capability... :mrgreen:

I left it with them... they should be done in a week-10 days.....

I HOPE!!!!

more to come...... Big Grin

How many guessed this wasn't going to work???

I got a text 2 days later.... "I took a look at them last night and it's something I'm not able to do. It's a very long process.
I just wouldn't have the time to do so. Lots of time and work has to be put into those. I'd try a restoration shop! I'm sorry I couldn't help"

Really??? Angry

So, in the meantime.... I MAY have found someone to do the job... but as before, I'm waiting..... Crying

sooooooooooo........ assembly begins....

the new cooling system...

next the reman TVIS assembly

followed by the intake manifold

Oh most of the hardware is new, only a few bolts were re-used (cleaned)

more to come....... Hurray!

Dan -

10-31-2018, 11:32 PM
a bit more assembled...

another save by the photo... I had some spare correct Toyota vacuum hose, so I replaced that section with the pinch.

Yes, that is a new dip stick(oil gauge) and dipstick tube.

more to come..... Hurray!

Dan -

11-14-2018, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2018 09:50 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
oldeskewltoy Wrote:the pulleys (BOTH) move about 1.5-2.0 degrees counter-clockwise. Another thought though would be to keep the pulleys stationary, and move the crankshaft clockwise to take up the slack.....

moving the crank clockwise 1.5-2 degrees to take up the slack means we have retarded cam timing. To confirm, we go back to the cam pulley, and visually rotate to correct... we move the cam toward the "A" to correct for machining

A LOT more to come... pretty soon..... Hurray!

Well, it is time to address this... because of the machine work, and the gasket, cam timing has been retarded about 1.5-2 degrees - I'll be rounding to 2 degrees.

Some may be asking why address this? For purposes of this build, the client wants a smooth idle - he does not want any lope. The engine should idle as if it just came off the assembly line. To do that we want the lobe separation angle "wider".

This works for Lobe Separation Angle (LSA): http://www.compcams.com/Pages/413/cam-ti...angle.aspx

If you would like to "play" with cam timing changes Tomei has an Excel sheet: http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/tool/valve_timing_graph_e.xls (look at idle quality chart @ bottom as it changes with centerline/LSA changes....)

Stock 4AGE cams use 111 degrees for their centerline. The Cat cams I'm using have a center line of 110 - one less. The machining has reduced that by 2 more, making the new centerlines/LSA @ 108 degrees.

108 degrees isn't a huge difference, but it may affect idle quality, and that is something I don't want.......

but how to adjust cam timing without adjustable timing pulleys????

Dan -

11-20-2018, 09:25 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:but how to adjust cam timing without adjustable timing pulleys????

more to come..... Big Grin

can you see it???

What do you see??

Dan -

11-21-2018, 10:01 AM
I get the feeling the magic is happening where we cant see it...

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Look like the locating hole has been moved a bit:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Catching up) OST-086 MM: Built for Mario oldeskewltoy 2 1,788 10-28-2022 08:23 AM
Last Post: decryphe
  OST-093: My, My, Mystery oldeskewltoy 10 3,019 09-18-2022 02:19 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  (Catching up...) OST-085: 7AG Big Valve build w/Cat Cams 262 9.0mm lift cams oldeskewltoy 5 2,187 09-09-2022 09:07 PM
Last Post: Vaptor
  (Catching up...) OST-083: Salvage operation oldeskewltoy 2 1,459 07-11-2022 08:32 PM
Last Post: banpei
  (Catching up...) OST-082: Nope, never again... at least not without all the parts oldeskewltoy 0 1,186 06-28-2022 09:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy