OST-028: Redline it baby....
09-04-2014, 12:15 AM
(09-01-2014 11:03 PM)krullibull Wrote:  I really like all the work you put into your work Wink

thanks..... Angel

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-028: Redline it baby....]

Manifold ports 1 and 4 are now filled, the client also asked me if I could supply him with a power brake port, as well as ports for an ignition MAP signal.

oldeskewltoy Wrote:the JB Weld is in... BUT.... because the JB Weld is a paste, it doesn't want to cooperate in providing me the shape I want... so I'm stuck using a form to help keep the shape :thumbsdown:

So the form would release, I used wax paper between the form, and the JB Weld, it worked pretty well, releasing, but it caused a few issues as well. The biggest issue is although wrapped tightly around the form, when inserted the wax paper wrinkled and left a less-than desirable surface

This is port 4, and although the wax paper left a less than desirable surface, I contributed a bit to the problem by under filling this port, not by a lot mind you - 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon.... but by under filling I got the surface flaws seen.

For a better example, port #1 was a better fill...

still wax paper flaws, but with more fill, the flaws were easier to blend away.

I was a bit disappointed... until I let perspective show me MY mountain (flaws), was really no more then a molehill... if that.

Perspective... yes, this is just a larger view of the 2nd photo in this post, but look at the center 2 ports... the casting lines are far more significant then the "flaws" left by me....

Now as to the vacuum... my client asked me to supply him with a port for his brake booster, and ports for his ignition MAP. I utilized the delete plate to carry all of these vacuum ports.

Initially I thought I'd tap the port floors for vacuum, and then I remembered this was a carbureted engine and thought better of having the ports in the floor(gasoline environment), so I put them in the delete plate roof instead.

Typically (largeport) the power brake vacuum is pulled off a plenum. No plenum like that with carbs. The smallport applications tap off the #4 intake runner, and that is what I did, but I did this one a bit differently.

I decided on going in from the side based on advice given to me by someone who has researched carb type 4AGs more than I. His reasoning was it allowed for the brake booster port to NOT interfere with linkage, or other hardware associated with carb installations.

The taper drilling is an attempt to minimize any air flow disturbance

I'm just waiting on the valve springs so I can begin re-assembly, and then set cam-valve clearances......

More to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2014, 10:01 PM
anyone wonder why this wasn't finished.... Blush

Toda springs have been my go to valve spring for the 4AGE, they can handle the lifts and durations of almost ever cam that runs single springs...

BUT....... the client and I have been waiting since before September (mid August actually) for Toda valve springs - 4 MONTHS!! The client ordered these parts through Vivid Racing... we waited... and waited.... I emailed them, and called them. They told us they were on back order... and that they had "personnel issues". I tried to call the US imported Misano Motorsports... but they didn't pick up their phone. Finally I emailed Toda Japan, and although I got no response from Toda, just about 2 weeks later the springs arrived.

Well.... at least now... I can pull this out of the corner, dust off the past 4 months, and get this assembled, and valves adjusted.... so

more to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

12-10-2014, 11:31 PM
honestly, I forgot all about it but am now looking forward to more news Smile

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-16-2014, 01:16 AM
(12-10-2014 11:31 PM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  honestly, I forgot all about it but am now looking forward to more news Smile
Hurray!

oldeskewltoy Wrote:Well.... at least now... I can pull this out of the corner, dust off the past 4 months, and get this assembled....

Short gif... first view is half assembled, 2nd is fully assembled 3rd view is with lifter buckets installed.....

now all I'll need to do is fit the CORRECT shims, under my clients Poncams....

More to come..... Hurray!

Dan -

12-23-2014, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2014 12:53 AM by oldeskewltoy.)
oldeskewltoy Wrote:now all I'll need to do is fit the CORRECT shims, under my clients Poncams....

There is a Tomei Poncam, this one is indicated on the box and the cam itself as the intake cam... interesting that the dist drive gear is there.....

The client included all of his shim and bucket assemblies, remember those labelled parts?

oldeskewltoy Wrote:[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-028: Redline it baby....]

Each bag contained a valve, a spring, a retainer, a spring seat, and 2 keepers, a lifter/bucket, and a shim.

I took each shim - carefully cleaned, then measured, then and put into my shim kit. The shims coming out were mostly 2.95mm and 3.00mm with a 2.9 and a 3.05 coming out as well. With freshly machined seats, and many "new" valves, I guessed that I should begin with 2.85mm shims to accommodate the seats and valves being cut.

Here are the initial measurements(intakes): measurements in inches.
"L" = loose, but not quite fitting the next size
"T" = tight, but not quite fitting the next size
1 - .011L
2 - .006T
3 - .008L
4 - .012
5 - .013T
6 - .009
7 - .006
8 - .012

So anyone remember Tomei Poncams intake clearance? How many of the valves need adjusting?

More to come...... Hurray!

Dan -

12-24-2014, 11:58 PM

Intake side set.... shim kit to right has well over 200 shims [Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-028: Redline it baby....]
most being 2.9, 2.95, and 3.0 [Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-028: Redline it baby....]

This job is requiring a few thinner shims, I'll need to order 2 - 2.65mm shims, and 1 - 2.75mm shim...

about a week out.....

Anyone care to guess which valve I'm measuring, and what size feeler gauge I'm using??

more to come....... Hurray!

Dan -

12-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Intake?

My car even older than I.

Dec. 1983 zenki Levin coupe AE85 swapped to 4age16v from ae92 and other needed stuff and RHD to LHD
Nov. 1985 kouki Trueno hatchback AE85, with 86s suspension, @3A + A42DL, RHD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Catching up) OST-086 MM: Built for Mario oldeskewltoy 2 1,790 10-28-2022 08:23 AM
Last Post: decryphe
  OST-093: My, My, Mystery oldeskewltoy 10 3,019 09-18-2022 02:19 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  (Catching up...) OST-085: 7AG Big Valve build w/Cat Cams 262 9.0mm lift cams oldeskewltoy 5 2,188 09-09-2022 09:07 PM
Last Post: Vaptor
  (Catching up...) OST-083: Salvage operation oldeskewltoy 2 1,459 07-11-2022 08:32 PM
Last Post: banpei
  (Catching up...) OST-082: Nope, never again... at least not without all the parts oldeskewltoy 0 1,187 06-28-2022 09:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy