OST-028: Redline it baby....
08-13-2014, 11:24 AM
As always great work Smile
I'm using JB Weld for years on 2-stroke engines without any problems so far.
I got a question about the exhaust ports how much are they opened up? Is there any reasonable size to go with?

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
Find all posts by this user
08-13-2014, 05:39 PM
(08-13-2014 11:24 AM)d3nso Wrote:  As always great work Smile
I'm using JB Weld for years on 2-stroke engines without any problems so far.
I got a question about the exhaust ports how much are they opened up? Is there any reasonable size to go with?

Nice to know others have used it successfully... for a "long" period of time.

the outlet where the head ends, and the header begins.... typically no more than 33mm... because most of the available gaskets are only 33mm. When I do the exhaust... often times the outlet diameter changes only a mm or 2... the key isn't the outlet, but the inside

**IF** my client has, or plans to use a Toda, Tomei, or other O/S exhaust gasket I can open them up more.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-028: Redline it baby....]

more to come........ Hurray!

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
08-13-2014, 09:41 PM
The above 2 panel was injector port #1...

here is the work on injector port #3

Its just been finished(filling).... note the change in the clay... it is a vital tool in this operation for it allows "adjusting" the volume of JB Weld - by either pulling the clay, or pressing the clay, i can change the level at the port roof.

Also I learned from injector port #1(center in photo above), that it is a bit better to begin filling the port with the clay slightly free to allow the JB Weld to completely fill the injector side of the port. There is enough JB Weld on #1, but #2(far right) is a more complete fill.

Quote: it is a vital tool

and here are a few others....

I use builders shims in a LOT of my work... they are great for setting the head up for checking chamber volumes, and here I'm using them as applicator/spatula, and as my palate for mixing, and applying. The dental tool helps remove the clay, or as much as I can... the spent tubes of JB Weld... and my finger! A wet finger allows me to shape and fill the voids... I prefer to use water... but saliva works in a pinch Tongue

more to come....... Hurray!

Dan -

08-20-2014, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 08:07 PM by oldeskewltoy.)

Here is a clearer view of the filled and finished injector ports - the coarse appearance is a 100 grit surface finish to aid in keeping the fuel atomized - closer view of this finish to follow

The lower photo was taken with a different camera setting... that is why the bowls appear smaller in the lower view

Another OST 3 -panel... This one shows the bowls, ports, and delete plate. The Green dotted horizontal lines show the excessive size of the delete plate, the green arrow shows that I slotted and "moved" the whole plate up, eliminating the bottom horizontal... but doubling the upper one, so the port roof was tapered to meet the raised delete plate. The dotted yellow line shows the cavity that was the injector port. The red dotted lines attempt (poor drawing skills - apologies) to show the areas ported around the port to bowl transition - the port floor at the transition point to the short radius is left untouched! Finally, the blue lines show the guide boss areas that are blended back for improve volume and velocity, the guides have been knocked back for the same reason.

more to come........ Hurray!

Dan -

08-23-2014, 08:24 PM
so... the head is mostly finished... porting wise. My client has ordered a set of Toda valve springs, when they arrive, I'll be re-assembling... and setting the valve clearances for the clients Pon cams.

In the mean time.... the manifold/delete plate "compromise" needs improving... #1 and #4 intake paths are pretty crappy... actually really crappy! If nothing is done... the air speed coming out of the carbs will slow dramatically making low rpm operation less than enjoyable.

Remember... this is the problem.....

oldeskewltoy Wrote:....lets looking at the problem from a different perspective....

The red lines represent the air path from the carb mount flange to the valves. The carb spacing is wider than the ports, and leads to the awkward set up you see.........

So I got to thinking..... what if.....

Above is a bit of an extreme... and is difficult to pull off because the correction passes through 3 different sections of the intake - the manifold, the delete plate, and the head... but the idea is spot on.

A more practical way would be to exclude the head, but to try and correct the intake and delete plate.

First... the manifold surface is not flat... so off to the machine shop to get a minimal machining to get it flat

Then back to my friends mill......

Besides where the bit is currently drilling, can you see any other "new" holes?

Here is a bit better perspective...

And finished.... 5 new holes from the back side of the delete plate... each hole needing to be drilled 3 times (once for tapping, once for thread passage, and finally for recessed Allen bolt head)

I can now permanently attach the delete plate to the manifold - and when I do make it permanent I'll use red FIPG to seal the two.

Prior to making them permanent, I'll need to add some anchor points inside the manifold, and the delete plate for the filler to affix too.

So... here is the idea....

The black dots are small random drillings about 1mm in depth, the "T" is a small flat head screw embedded in the deepest part of the correction

and from another perspective... the red arrow shows where I'll drill for the flat head screw, the red dots are the 1mm deep random drillings for anchoring.

The green "slice" inside shows the significance of the change.

LOTS more to come......... Huh

Dan -

08-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Not a constructive thought, but one cant help but wonder: The time it takes to make these parts work together might as well have been spent on fabricating a manifold from scratch.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2014, 10:05 PM
(08-23-2014 09:41 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Not a constructive thought, but one cant help but wonder: The time it takes to make these parts work together might as well have been spent on fabricating a manifold from scratch.

out of the mouth of Ivan's.... Angel

I couldn't agree more... there are just too many compromises... BUT, at least this gives me the chance to research and learn... and improve on what we have.

Dan -

08-28-2014, 07:34 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:BUT, at least this gives me the chance to research and learn...

and have I researched... and learned(?).......

A familiar view........ maybe not??

A not so familiar view.... Here are both intake ports #1 and #4 mostly prepped for filling....

I still need to do a few drillings into the delete plate.

I'll be using 2 different compounds to do the above "fill job" The first one is called "Splash Zone A-788", it is a 2 part epoxy compound.

If your eyes are good you will read it even sets up under water. I don't need its marine qualities, I do need its strength, its mold-ability, and its relative high temp capability. Although strong, and highly recommended in the advanced engine porting world, it is not fully resistant to fuels.

The 2nd compound I'll be using is POR15 fuel tank sealer as a top coat.

This will fully encapsulate the Spash Zone A-788 and seal it from fuel decay...

For those who read the por15 label reading combustible.... read further - http://qr.absolutecoatings.com/QR-assets...Sealer.pdf (to those that don't want to read it... once cured the POR15 sealant can withstand 315 degrees continuous, or 450 for 72 hours

a LOT more to come........ Huh

Dan -

09-01-2014, 05:44 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:I'll be using 2 different compounds to do the above "fill job" The first one is called "Splash Zone A-788", it is a 2 part epoxy compound.

If your eyes are good you will read it even sets up under water. I don't need its marine qualities, I do need its strength, its mold-ability, and its relative high temp capability. Although strong, and highly recommended in the advanced engine porting world, it is not fully resistant to fuels.

a LOT more to come........

internets garbage.... research.... research.... research... and then research some more!!! http://lonestarspecialties.net/wp-conten...NEA788.pdf

Short version 200 degrees steady, 250 for short periods of time... fail Sad

Oh... besides the above tasty tidbit (chart)... I got a response from JB Weld from an email I sent.....

ost email to JBWeld Wrote:Customer service rep.....

I'm looking for a heat resistant (300) putty, that will function in an air and fuel(gasoline) environment. I've included a short gif (animated photo) showing what I need to do.

The red dots are small drilled dimples, the single grey dot shows where I'd drill and then fit a screw, or similar threaded shaft as a protruding anchor. The thickness, at its thickest point will be about 7/16"

Thank you for your assistance

JB Weld Customer Service Wrote:Dan,

I would use our Original JB Weld (8265s.) Thanks for your inquiry, and good luck with your repair!

Sincerely,

Customer Service
JB Weld

Soooooooooo after all this.... it looks like the original JB Weld, along with the POR15 fuel tank coating...

MORE to come.....

Dan -

09-01-2014, 11:03 PM
I really like all the work you put into your work Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Catching up) OST-086 MM: Built for Mario oldeskewltoy 2 1,792 10-28-2022 08:23 AM
Last Post: decryphe
  OST-093: My, My, Mystery oldeskewltoy 10 3,023 09-18-2022 02:19 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  (Catching up...) OST-085: 7AG Big Valve build w/Cat Cams 262 9.0mm lift cams oldeskewltoy 5 2,189 09-09-2022 09:07 PM
Last Post: Vaptor
  (Catching up...) OST-083: Salvage operation oldeskewltoy 2 1,460 07-11-2022 08:32 PM
Last Post: banpei
  (Catching up...) OST-082: Nope, never again... at least not without all the parts oldeskewltoy 0 1,188 06-28-2022 09:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy