Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2014, 05:41 PM
OST-028: Redline it baby....
(07-27-2014 09:52 AM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 12:30 AM)oldeskewltoy Wrote:  
from another forum Wrote:Lookit you and these fancy transition pictures!!! lol

what can I say... Smile

Still waiting for your first timelapse video Wink

You and I need to talk.... not sure if you noticed... I've now added two other photo hosting sites because I've hit the end of free photobucket. And you know me well enough to know I'm a CHEAP S.O.B. so I don't like to pay for anything Huh

The problem with video.... for example using the 2 little gifs above... = 2 megs... now add that up as its viewed 2-4000 times (between all forum postings, and total views as the thread progresses) I QUICKLY run into bandwidth issues. And... even paying, if I did many videos... total bandwidth might get pretty extensive....

Finally... The only real way to do that(time lapse)... would be not close up.... but from a distance(encompassing the total work space including me) ... I'm constantly moving, or adjusting the work in the working area so that I can get better angles on things... also... when I work the short radius's I typically do this by hand manipulating my two pinkies to grab the ends of the abrasive ("sandpaper") and work it back and forth to provide a smooth transition. When I do this the heads entire position is relocated so I can perform the above operation....

Now... if I was a 5 axis CnC.... Huh then maybe we could do it close up

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2014, 10:15 PM
(07-28-2014 05:41 PM)oldeskewltoy Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 09:52 AM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  
(07-27-2014 12:30 AM)oldeskewltoy Wrote:  
from another forum Wrote:Lookit you and these fancy transition pictures!!! lol

what can I say... Smile

Still waiting for your first timelapse video Wink

You and I need to talk.... not sure if you noticed... I've now added two other photo hosting sites because I've hit the end of free photobucket. And you know me well enough to know I'm a CHEAP S.O.B. so I don't like to pay for anything Huh

The problem with video.... for example using the 2 little gifs above... = 2 megs... now add that up as its viewed 2-4000 times (between all forum postings, and total views as the thread progresses) I QUICKLY run into bandwidth issues. And... even paying, if I did many videos... total bandwidth might get pretty extensive....

Finally... The only real way to do that(time lapse)... would be not close up.... but from a distance(encompassing the total work space including me) ... I'm constantly moving, or adjusting the work in the working area so that I can get better angles on things... also... when I work the short radius's I typically do this by hand manipulating my two pinkies to grab the ends of the abrasive ("sandpaper") and work it back and forth to provide a smooth transition. When I do this the heads entire position is relocated so I can perform the above operation....

Now... if I was a 5 axis CnC.... Huh then maybe we could do it close up

I think even if things can't be seen in detail, some people would appreciate to see the whole process and what's involved in it. Nothing goes against you still doing the close up pics.

Regarding the space issue I sent you a PM not to go further off topic in here.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-29-2014, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 12:14 AM by oldeskewltoy.)
and back on topic... bowl #4 as it grows from 24.8mm to 26.2mm

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-028: Redline it baby....]

Dan -

07-30-2014, 01:08 AM
Shaping #1 intake bowls/short radii

and with the intake bowls and seats finished...

Oh... the exhaust bowls, seats and ports are now done as well Big Grin

Next will come a bit of deshrouding.....

More to come..... Hurray!

Dan -

07-31-2014, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 10:30 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
So with the ports nearly finished... I proceed to the chamber work. Basic, or minimum deshrouding to start....

... but more will be required...

...because we have already lost some of our volume.... this head has likely been cut .012"-.014"........

More to come..... Hurray!

Dan -

08-05-2014, 01:59 AM
oldeskewltoy;411742 Wrote:[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-028: Redline it baby....]

...because we have already lost some of our volume.... this head has likely been cut .012"-.014"........

but the surface has some flaws... and the finish on the cut is not as good as I like to have...

So the added cut cost me and my client .004"...

... but now I have a final surface I'll fit the valves and get chamber volumes..... and proceed with final chamber sizing

but... we have a problem.... remember how well this was all packed? Well the valves were packed in individual marked bags.

Each bag contained a valve, a spring, a retainer, a spring seat, and 2 keepers, a lifter/bucket, and a shim. It appeared that the valves had previous been machined as well... not just clean, but machined.

Since this was the first head I had accepted that had come with valves already machined, and me, being careful, I had the guys @ Loynings check the valves for me.... just in case.

It was a good thing I did... 12 of the 16 valves are either ever so slightly bent, OR they were machined incorrectly

There is a .003" "wobble" to the above valve. Acceptable "wobble" is .001". Of the 12 valves out of spec, they range from .002" to .004".

The valves may be able to be re-cut, but the few that are the furthest out might not get concentric before I run out of margin (edge of valve). So I've recommended to my client I can supply him with 16 good used valves that I'll have cut to specification... OR the client can opt for Supertech valves. I await his decision....

more to come........ Hurray!

Dan -

08-05-2014, 08:55 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:So I've recommended to my client I can supply him with 16 good used valves that I'll have cut to specification...

going through some exhaust valves... looking for valves with a good margin - over 1mm, so they can be cut and still have enough margin for durability. Did the same with intakes...

more to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

08-08-2014, 01:19 AM
oldeskewltoy;411742 Wrote:So with the ports nearly finished... I proceed to the chamber work. Basic, or minimum deshrouding to start....

... but more will be required...

I wasn't sure how much... after all... the clients valves were not going to be used, I had picked through my old valves for a decent set. So "new" valves, and had them ground, along with the 3 angle grind.... after all of that....

Chamber volumes were....

35cc, 35.2cc, 35.2cc, 35.1cc (based on beginning meniscus levels)

All in all not too bad, well within acceptable tolerance... but I worked #1 a bit more then the other three, I'll have finished chamber volumes by Monday...

Now here is the progression of chamber #2....

More to come.......... Hurray!

Dan -

08-13-2014, 02:33 AM
The port roofs are now blended to meet the delete plate

and the injector ports are ready for filling.... Huh

5 - 3/32" holes about 2-3mm deep spaced around the injector port. These, along with the top of the injector port, will be the anchor points for the JB Weld...

Yep JB Weld.... I've done a LOT of research into this. I've looked at some of the other products - Devcon for instance, and none of them offer the temp, and holding capability of the JB Weld - http://www.jbweld.com/faqs/

More to come........ Cool

Dan -

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Catching up) OST-086 MM: Built for Mario oldeskewltoy 2 1,788 10-28-2022 08:23 AM
Last Post: decryphe
  OST-093: My, My, Mystery oldeskewltoy 10 3,018 09-18-2022 02:19 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  (Catching up...) OST-085: 7AG Big Valve build w/Cat Cams 262 9.0mm lift cams oldeskewltoy 5 2,186 09-09-2022 09:07 PM
Last Post: Vaptor
  (Catching up...) OST-083: Salvage operation oldeskewltoy 2 1,459 07-11-2022 08:32 PM
Last Post: banpei
  (Catching up...) OST-082: Nope, never again... at least not without all the parts oldeskewltoy 0 1,186 06-28-2022 09:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy