OST-018: REVIVAL
06-23-2012, 12:26 AM
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - OST-018: REVIVAL]

I really wanted to call this head resurrection... but I was afraid some people might not understand....soooo, not wanting to anger anyone Smile Smile I looked for a synonym.....

and REVIVAL is fine by me Big Grin :lol:

As you can see from the above views, what you see there is a REALLY dirty, skanky, sticky, (add you own adjectives if you know what I mean) just plain GROSS cylinder head.

It is my job to, "turn this sows ear into a silk purse" Big Grin

Oh... and by the way... THIS silk purse is FOR SALE Huh
send me an email if you are interested [email protected]
PSSSSSST - If you want to know how much... send me an email.

MORE to COME Big Grin

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
06-23-2012, 12:29 AM
So... lets proceed with OST-018.... and see how we go about reviving this skanky bit 'o trash... into sweeeet, sweet, performance Big Grin

So lets see how skanky she is.... we'll just remove her top......

hmmmmmmm, pretty darn dirty.... just about as dirty inside... as out Sad

Removing the cam caps.....

reveals some good news.... although dirty... not so dirty that there are any serious signs of cam journal damage. That is good news....

This head came to me with 3 head bolts... 2 came out once I removed the exhaust cam... the 3rd one...........

...... got kinda stuck.......

Another OST 2-panel... this one shows the built up sludge around the bolt head. I had to hammer it out using a drift!!!

Big Grin OST-018 quiz question #1) Why did this bolt get stuck in the head?

Dan -

06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Answer to question #1:
Appears to be corrosion bonded and probably caused by leaking coolant...

An analogue brain in a digital World
06-23-2012, 01:43 AM
totta Crolla Wrote:Answer to question #1:
Appears to be corrosion bonded and probably caused by leaking coolant...

Wave not caused by leaking coolant... gonna let a bit more time pass before I answer... ok :wink:

Dan -

06-23-2012, 01:15 PM
they didn't use some new head bolts in the case they changed the head gasket.

SR Team
BURN THE RUBER NOT YOUR SOUL!
06-23-2012, 05:16 PM
The bolt obviously turned otherwise the head would not have come off of
the engine block.
My guess then is that something is attached to the thread of the bolt maybe
an insert of some kind ?
Or was the bolt bent ?

An analogue brain in a digital World
06-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Well since the "action" is here on aeu86.org... will go with the conversation here.

totta Crolla Wrote:The bolt obviously turned otherwise the head would not have come off of
the engine block.
My guess then is that something is attached to the thread of the bolt maybe
an insert of some kind ?
Or was the bolt bent ?

If you look at the transition of photos you will have to do some extrapolation. 1) the bolt is not twisted, so it did come out of its threads. The 1st photo showing the bolt, shows the bolt top to not be excessively "wrenched upon". So the bolt came out of the block... so if the bolt came out of the block, how did it get so caked in crud. The crud is in the bolt hole... look @ the bolt hole in the lower shot of the 2 panel. look @ all the crud still inside the bolt hole.

BOOMEX Wrote:they didn't use some new head bolts in the case they changed the head gasket.

DING........ DING......... DING..........

They indeed changed the gasket... the gasket was one of the changes that occurred in 8/88-9/88.

The bottom gasket represents head gasket 16030(the first), the top gasket is its replacement(successor) 16070.

NOTE the red arrows. The early style gasket does not have a barrier between the oil drain back hole and the bolt hole. This allowed draining oil to seep along the block to the bolt, and wick up the bolt. After many miles, much oil collects, and becomes crud. The later style gasket has a barrier between the drainback and the bolt hole.

The blue arrows show the oil drainback passages, while the yellow arrow points out the oil feed passage. The large kidney shaped passage is to allow blowby and crankcase ring pressure to escape to the head.

Dan -

06-25-2012, 09:01 PM

unfortunately... at least for the time being OST-018 is sitting on the "too be determined" shelf. 4 of 8 intake guides, and 3 of 8 exhaust guides show excess wear. I've checked the corresponding wear patterns in the valves. I measured the worst 2 intake valves, and the worst exhaust valve. The intake valves stem diameters were between 5.93 and 5.94mm minimum stem diameters(FSM) 5.97mm to 5.985mm. The exhaust valve measured 5.94mm, the spec for the exhaust valves is 5.96mm to 5.98mm. Since so many of the valves, and guides are bad, there is no economic sense to build this head further...........

I'll begin another shortly Big Grin

Dan -

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Catching up) OST-086 MM: Built for Mario oldeskewltoy 2 1,788 10-28-2022 08:23 AM
Last Post: decryphe
  OST-093: My, My, Mystery oldeskewltoy 10 3,019 09-18-2022 02:19 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  (Catching up...) OST-085: 7AG Big Valve build w/Cat Cams 262 9.0mm lift cams oldeskewltoy 5 2,187 09-09-2022 09:07 PM
Last Post: Vaptor
  (Catching up...) OST-083: Salvage operation oldeskewltoy 2 1,459 07-11-2022 08:32 PM
Last Post: banpei
  (Catching up...) OST-082: Nope, never again... at least not without all the parts oldeskewltoy 0 1,186 06-28-2022 09:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy